OFFICIAL FEEDBACK FOR ISSUE 38 ***

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spanner

Post by Spanner » Thu May 24, 2007 4:10 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Kai wrote:Since I'm not a native English speaker, maybe someone can explain what "a partridge in a pear tree" means. It's obviously a kind of pun or idiom, isn't it? :oops:
Its a line from the traditional Christmas carol, The 12 Days Of Christmas.
The song counts down various items for each day (somewhat like 10 Green Bottles, a song I'll assume you know) as gifts from your loved one. The final item is 'a partridge in a pear tree'. A partridge is a bird, btw.

Why did you ask?
In the 16th century it was illegal to practice Catholicism in England, so the Catholics wrote the carol The 12 Days of Christams as a cryptic method of teaching the basics of their faith. The "pratridge in a pear tree" is a metaphor for Jesus Christ on the cross. For more information, read the Da Vinci Code, watch South Park or visit heaven (although the latter is a bit of a permanant solution ;)).

These days it's also used, as in this case, to underscore an exhaustive list. Kind of like saying "everything but the Cheap MDF rubbish sink". If that makes sense. Which it probably doesn't, as the Cheap MDF rubbish sink thing is another weird English euphemism, and I'm taking up valuable feedback space with total irrelevance and babble now.
Yes, my real name is Spanner and I've already heard that joke you just thought of. On the plus side, a name like this also comes with built in chat up lines, so at least the chicks dig it...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu May 24, 2007 4:45 am

I haven't read it properly but I didn't see a screen shot of the orginal arcade frogger. A glaring omission?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu May 24, 2007 6:54 am

Bub&Bob wrote:I haven't read it properly but I didn't see a screen shot of the orginal arcade frogger. A glaring omission?
There's one on the front cover.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu May 24, 2007 1:21 pm

There's a typo in the 'Perfect Ten NES Games' - it seems that Solar Jetman has been accidentally replaced with Double Dragon 2.

bolda

Post by bolda » Thu May 24, 2007 4:13 pm

Sabreman wrote:There's a typo in the 'Perfect Ten NES Games' - it seems that Solar Jetman has been accidentally replaced with Double Dragon 2.
Now you mention it, I spotted that too. :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

MikeHive

Post by MikeHive » Thu May 24, 2007 4:44 pm

Fascinating Goldeneye feature, guys! A TON of stuff in there I didn't know. Thanks a lot!!

(It's probably not Retro enough but if you're getting a taste for interviewing Rare... a behind-the-scenes of Conker's Bad Fur Day would make me consplode out of sheer exitement). </hint> :D
~Mike
www.bthive.co.uk :: Banjo Trilogy Hive

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu May 24, 2007 6:31 pm

Sabreman wrote:There's a typo in the 'Perfect Ten NES Games' - it seems that Solar Jetman has been accidentally replaced with Double Dragon 2.
Solar Jetman fan, eh? You're going to love gamesTM 59 [/spam]

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri May 25, 2007 5:07 am

GREAT ISSUE, BETTER THAN EVER!!! :D :D :D

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Fri May 25, 2007 10:32 am

Not my fave issue by a long way. Loved the Barbarian and Frogger stuff but not interested in Superfrog or Virtuality one little bit. Dragons Lair ok but still not too fussed. KUTGW.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Fri May 25, 2007 6:33 pm

nwosteve wrote:Not my fave issue by a long way. Loved the Barbarian and Frogger stuff but not interested in Superfrog or Virtuality one little bit. Dragons Lair ok but still not too fussed. KUTGW.
Personally I didn't find this issue quite as strong as the last issue (which was a high-point for me amongst the recent issues) - I don't have a clue what Superfrog is, but that's not to say the article won't be interesting (but I haven't made a beeline for it)

On the other hand I really enjoyed the Virtuality piece - I'd like a related 'whatever happened to AI' piece as a follow up!

Kai

Post by Kai » Sat May 26, 2007 7:36 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Kai wrote:Since I'm not a native English speaker, maybe someone can explain what "a partridge in a pear tree" means. It's obviously a kind of pun or idiom, isn't it? :oops:
Its a line from the traditional Christmas carol, The 12 Days Of Christmas.
The song counts down various items for each day (somewhat like 10 Green Bottles, a song I'll assume you know) as gifts from your loved one. The final item is 'a partridge in a pear tree'. A partridge is a bird, btw.

Why did you ask?
Errr...just wanted to improve my English skills 8)
Thank you guys for the interesting explanation!

Btw, the issue is great as always. But I'm already looking forward to the next one: Duke 3D and Amiga in one issue? Will be the best ever! 8)

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sat May 26, 2007 1:37 pm

I was disappointed with this months issue, one of the poorest for a while. Fingers crossed next month's will be better.

MrCrusher

Post by MrCrusher » Sat May 26, 2007 8:52 pm

Best issue for a while.

Thought the making of's features were great.
The VR and SNK and NES articles were excellent also.
The Archer MacLean section is always entertaining. He's such a jammy bas****, bet he's got loads more stories to tell.

Still too much space devoted to the DS and PSP though. Coverage of converted classics is OK yet it seems as though more and more space is given over to games on these formats that are not really retro- Harvest Moon DS, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass? a new DS game not released until Dec07!!

Whats happened to the emulator features and tutorials? What can be more retro than being able to play classic Speccy, C64, Snes games for e.g. than using an emulator? Saves me from having to unpack my old systems if I want a retro game blast. Apparently, you can emulate classic systems on the GP2x- why no coverage of this system? It needs all the exposure it can get.

Still. Thanks for A GREAT MAG and I'll be happy in renewing my subs in June.
Love

MrCrusher

Hammy

Great Mag

Post by Hammy » Sun May 27, 2007 4:42 am

Hi

Have been readin since issue 1 and thought it was about time I gave some feedback.

Loved this issue , really liked the Super Frog stuff, not fussed about frogger always found it to be afairly boring game.

Found myslef purchasing the DVD version of Dragons Liar haveing read the artical.

Hopefully it will come out on HDDVD as well as Blue ray.
Hammy

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Sun May 27, 2007 6:02 am

MrCrusher wrote:Still too much space devoted to the DS and PSP though. Coverage of converted classics is OK yet it seems as though more and more space is given over to games on these formats that are not really retro- Harvest Moon DS, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass? a new DS game not released until Dec07!!
Saying retro games have to be old games is a very narrow definition. Personally I think practically anything that's in 2D is "retro".