What will your kids look back at with fondness..?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroRik

What will your kids look back at with fondness..?

Post by RetroRik » Thu May 17, 2007 8:25 am

We of an age of 30 and over always talk about the good old days in the 70's and 80's and reminisce about our exploats back then.

Our Micro Computers and games.
Tv and Film.
Holidays.
School and the Summer holidays.
Music and so on....

Do you think your kids will be able to look back in 20 years time with the same warm memories or did we truely live in a golden age that cannot be replicated in this modern war ridden world....

Regards

RIK

The Universal

Post by The Universal » Thu May 17, 2007 8:55 am

Games are better now than they have ever been, my son find things in games I just dont or never have, they are far more robust than they used to be, so I think he will look back on games as lovingly as we do, but the 360 will be his spectrum.

He doesnt watch movies, not interested, if he cant interact he isnt interested, which to be honest I encourage. (he does however have a penchant for Sonic Underground).

He loves to read and loves sport, so to be honest, despite video games occupying him where action man onced occupied me, I dont think it will be any different for his generation than ours.

I guess the way I look at it is this, while my old man left all his pursuits in the past to focus on being a parent and his job, our generation carried on with them into adulthood, we apreciate modern music, movies and games, where as previous generations didnt evolve they stuck for the most part with what they already knew.

So I think my sons memories will be just as rich, but maybe more fulfilling and inclusive because he gets to share his experiences with his family in a taking part scenario, rather than explaining to a tired old man about something that he just cant relate to.

Dont forget that we had our formative years in one of the most explosive decades of all time, many wars, famine and recessions with little or no enterprise, the computer was designed back in 19th century by a man called babbage, it wasnt a revolution that brought it to us, just common sense.

Despite what SKY may have us think we live in a golden age of freedom and innovation, internet, you tube, ebay, cheap air travel, music is incredibly polished, movies are amazing and gaming is at an all time high, art has been escewed for science, this is the golden age.
Just where is Mickey T?

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Thu May 17, 2007 9:09 am

Good answer Universal. :)

I agree with a lot of that. Especially the fact that us parents are more hip and up with the times now than our parents were...

Regards

RIK

Wil

Post by Wil » Thu May 17, 2007 10:48 am

I was reading a piece the other day about parents now being as (for want of a better phrase) 'up to date' as their kids. We're more likely to shop at the same shops, listen to the same sort of music and generally enjoy the same sorts of things as our kids. However, it postulated that this might not be an altogether good thing and that kids grow up not having a 'generation' of their own any more. Their parents are no longer role models and authority figures to look up and aspire to but rather just bigger kids. The gap between childhood and becoming an adult is now blurred.

Now I'm not sure I agree completely with all that but I can see some reality in it. I'm off to buy some leather patches for my cardigan now.

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Thu May 17, 2007 5:56 pm

Wil wrote:I was reading a piece the other day about parents now being as (for want of a better phrase) 'up to date' as their kids. We're more likely to shop at the same shops, listen to the same sort of music and generally enjoy the same sorts of things as our kids. However, it postulated that this might not be an altogether good thing and that kids grow up not having a 'generation' of their own any more. Their parents are no longer role models and authority figures to look up and aspire to but rather just bigger kids. The gap between childhood and becoming an adult is now blurred.

Now I'm not sure I agree completely with all that but I can see some reality in it. I'm off to buy some leather patches for my cardigan now.
I like that. A lot. It speaks to me of the idiocy of people who get into print these days, and why we should have a proper education system so that when our children grow up, they can tell such nonsense for the nonsense it is!
Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death ... I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing

smila

Post by smila » Fri May 18, 2007 6:22 am

Wil wrote:I was reading a piece the other day about parents now being as (for want of a better phrase) 'up to date' as their kids. We're more likely to shop at the same shops, listen to the same sort of music and generally enjoy the same sorts of things as our kids. However, it postulated that this might not be an altogether good thing and that kids grow up not having a 'generation' of their own any more. Their parents are no longer role models and authority figures to look up and aspire to but rather just bigger kids. The gap between childhood and becoming an adult is now blurred.

would you get me some seggs for my oxfords while your there ;)
god created the sid chip so hubbard could make music