Official feedback thread for issue 19

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re:

Post by markopoloman » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:54 am

hand_solo wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
muse hunter wrote: I dislike the 8 bit computers, personnally
Oh dear....

I never said I didn't want to see any less coverage of the consoles you love so dearly. Fact! All I said was that if the Neo-Geo can justify a place on the cover, so can a brand that shifted thousands times more units in the UK alone and was the market leader in other markets.

Sure if you want to regress to being 8 years old, I'm happy to argue machine advocacy all day, but I really don't care. I do want to read about the Neo-Geo and other Japanese consoles but to pretend that the CPC has no following or to censored the machine off because it wasn't an overpriced unit brought by a few thousand people in the UK is a joke.
1.Chinny, give it up you Amstrad fanboy.

2.Can we split the thread and have a seperate Amstrad Vs Neo Geo thread cos this can't be very helpful for the RG staffers.
Agreed Mike er Hand Solo - thats enough of the Amstrad :shock: :lol:

koopa42

Re:

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:43 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
koopa42 wrote:A review of capcom classics, ok so it gets 84% very good - NOT ONE SCREENSHOT OF SFII?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :x
Sorry mate, but I thought it was best to feature the good games ;)
I thought the mag was for retro gamers everywhere, not your personal street fighter III 3rd tripe bandwagon :P

blitz pilot

Post by blitz pilot » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:40 pm

I had almost given up hope that retro gamer would return, having been with it since issue one, a trip to WHSmith always was never complete without checking the computer section just to make sure.

Today it stood out on the shelf as if a dozen spotlights were shining on it, my elation was slightly battered by the massive queue of christmas shoppers at the till.

Normally I would have put the magazine down and wandered out, rather than waste my time in the queue, but I never gave it a second thought and patiently waited in line.

As for the content, well I haven't got that far yet, I am just enjoying the feeling of having retro gamer back :D

P.S. And in case you were wondering the barcode on mine didn't scan either!
This signature is neither funny, nor interesting, so I apologise for wasting your time.

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:02 pm

blitz pilot wrote:P.S. And in case you were wondering the barcode on mine didn't scan either!
Ha! Nor did mine! Odd...

Steve Halfpenny

Re:

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:25 pm

andy vaisey wrote:
blitz pilot wrote:P.S. And in case you were wondering the barcode on mine didn't scan either!
Ha! Nor did mine! Odd...
Snap.

A pattern developing here... :lol:

Ash

Post by Ash » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:41 pm

The barcode on mine scanned...twice (!) and the newsie tried to charge me a tenner.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:36 pm

Ash wrote:The barcode on mine scanned...twice (!) and the newsie tried to charge me a tenner.
Think yourself lucky. Because your one actually scanned, the person behind the till was probably so ecstatically happy that they wanted to scan it a hundred times, meaning they would eventually have tried to charge you £499 for a "slightly worn" copy of the mag. Either that or some of the more sprightly barcodes are trying to make up for the ones that just plain refuse to go "with the system".
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:42 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Ash wrote:The barcode on mine scanned...twice (!) and the newsie tried to charge me a tenner.
Think yourself lucky. Because your one actually scanned, the person behind the till was probably so ecstatically happy that they wanted to scan it a hundred times, meaning they would eventually have tried to charge you £499 for a "slightly worn" copy of the mag. Either that or some of the more sprightly barcodes are trying to make up for the ones that just plain refuse to go "with the system".
Anyone who knows about barcodes here who could tell us what is causing the problems? Is it because the barcode is quite small or is it the shiny paper?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:44 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
Anyone who knows about barcodes here who could tell us what is causing the problems? Is it because the barcode is quite small or is it the shiny paper?
The barcodes are exactly the same as on our other mags, it's quite possible that the shops in question set them up wrong...

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:28 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: The barcodes are exactly the same as on our other mags, it's quite possible that the shops in question set them up wrong...
True. But that would imply that the mag wasn't on the system. Certainly in my case the chap behind the counter typed in the code by hand and the system knew exactly what the magazine was.

I thought the barcode was a representation of the numbers below it which could be read by machine. Therefore as long as the machine can read the code and that the number is on the system, the system should know what is going on.

Yes I am a dullard for asking this!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:00 pm

It actually goes to show how good this first issue is—the most common complaint is that "the bar code doesn't work properly". Next issue, prepare for the "some of the issues in WHSmith have slightly dinged corners" scandal!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Mr. Pointless

Post by Mr. Pointless » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:56 pm

Great! This issue had articles on Simon the Sorcerer and Magnetic Fields. Good read.
Amiga: "Insert Disk 7"
User: "When I work out how to magically pull that out of my **** I will, because it's not in the box."

Xbox 360: Mr Pointless | PSN: Mr_Pointless | Steam: Mr Pointless

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:24 pm

chinnyhill10 wrote: I thought the barcode was a representation of the numbers below it which could be read by machine. Therefore as long as the machine can read the code and that the number is on the system, the system should know what is going on.

Most barcode scanners are basically input devices no different from a keyboard as far as the recieving machine is concerned. So in theory, scanning the barcode should give the same result as typing said numbers yes.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:37 am

Dudley wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote: I thought the barcode was a representation of the numbers below it which could be read by machine. Therefore as long as the machine can read the code and that the number is on the system, the system should know what is going on.

Most barcode scanners are basically input devices no different from a keyboard as far as the recieving machine is concerned. So in theory, scanning the barcode should give the same result as typing said numbers yes.
Depends on the scanner used... It is a rather small barcode compared to some magazines, plus the glossy cover doesn't help.

TheShend

Re:

Post by TheShend » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:43 am

koopa42 wrote:I thought the mag was for retro gamers everywhere, not your personal street fighter III 3rd tripe bandwagon :P
C'mon Koopa. It's the future, the Fight for the Future!! :wink: Jump on!! :D

It's about 6 years old now SFIII:3S :shock: