Official feedback thread for issue 19

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Official feedback thread for issue 19

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:10 pm

samedizombie wrote:
I'm sorry to sound so negative and I certainly won't be deciding on future purchases purely based on issue 19, (let's face it these are more than cosmetic changes here. In the space of an issue the mag has completely changed so, (again for me personally) it's come as a bit of a shock.) Martyn had captured something different, something special, in his approach to the mag and I would hate to see that lost in the race to be corporately successful.

You may say: "Sorry matey but that's how thing are in the big world of publishing," and I would answer: "But wasn't it that different approach which made Retro Gamer a success in the first place?"
Yes it looks different, but everything that was still in the original RG is still there. The odd name may have changed but the same styled features, and more importantly, the same writers are doing exactly what they've always been doing, creating interesting articles that are great to read.

Still, I'd be interested to hear why you saw Retro Gamer as being such a success. I'm guessing that it's because it was a niche magazine that ran for nearly two years?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:22 pm

Hmmm - there were 5 pages to this when I started reading the silly Amstrad/Neo geo on the cover argument - and just as I got to page 5, it dissapeared! :o

Anyway, (not) back on to the topic of feedback - the mag is a real winner. If it contains the words Spectrum, Commodore, Neo Geo, Sega, Kitt, Speak N Spell, Amstrad, Kray......... at the end of the day, its the content that counts! I'm am sure that if a retro Amstrad user looked at the mag, they wouldn't brush it aside thinking it didn't cover Amstrad.....would he?

Read the content - if your most favourite retro friend is not contained within or on the sexy pages - don't worry about it - I'm sure it will be in or on there real soon.

Now - should this thread get back to FEEDBACK or should the Amstrad / NeoGeo debate continue??? :twisted:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:24 pm

Ok - so ignore the first bit of my last post - the first post on page 5 returned as I posted my message! :?

Markie

Re: Official feedback thread for issue 19

Post by Markie » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:23 pm

samedizombie wrote:
Your comment on making the magazine a success is obviously true but wasn't it already a success? If it wasn't is that why Martyn Carroll is no longer the Editor?

I'm sorry to sound so negative and I certainly won't be deciding on future purchases purely based on issue 19, (let's face it these are more than cosmetic changes here. In the space of an issue the mag has completely changed so, (again for me personally) it's come as a bit of a shock.) Martyn had captured something different, something special, in his approach to the mag and I would hate to see that lost in the race to be corporately successful.

You may say: "Sorry matey but that's how thing are in the big world of publishing," and I would answer: "But wasn't it that different approach which made Retro Gamer a success in the first place?"
Hi
You raise some very interesting points, but... unfortunately in the world of publishing, sometimes what may seem great and working from a readers point of view, going into the store and buying the mag each month doesn't neccessarily mean the magazine is a success.

The 'Classic' Retro Gamer was a success to it's readers and in it's field area initially. But one mag in the main doesn't make for a successful publishing company, and unfortunately for various reasons, Live Publishing didn't survive in the harsh, agressive marketplace of newsstand publishing in that form.

Therefore, for Retro Gamer to have a sustainable successful future on it's own, the magazine needed to evolve and take on an identity which works in a way which we hope appeals to the 'old school die hards (like me)', but at the same time can bring new, more 'modern sensitive' magazine readers, gamesplayers and collectors to the title. The core of the magazine hasn't changed at all. The hard work put in by people like Martyn has built a set of great standards which we are building on, but we knew that the mag couldn't continue with the same look and feel of the old Retro Gamer if it was to succeed long-term. The magazine needed bigger scope. Notice how even the paper quality has changed, such are the sensitivities of the mag reader out there! The hope is that new package, which has more content per issue than ever before, on a better quality paper and cover stock, with a new look which reflects a forward thinking 'retro multi format magazine' that this brings more readers to the magazine, generating a higher readership, which in turn attracts more advertisers, which generates revenue, which can be used to build a secure future for the magazine!

I hope if nothing else you can understand the reasonings behind why we have done things the way we have with New RG, and will give it a go. Let it bed in... to some change is a harsh thing.. but ultimately it's usually for the better. And hey.... we've even got 'Sizzlers' in there! :D

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:23 pm

I picked up my copy today and I can happily say my opinion is overwhelmingly positive. As expected there are a couple of features that I'm not really interested in, but certainly the main features on the games were great reads. I'm even quite keen to hunt down some Leisure Suit Larry titles - games which I've always given little regard to in the past.

Layout is nice and clean, a few spelling mistakes here and there but overall nicely written stuff. Content definitely seems to be a bit more diverse than previously. I'm really looking forward to the kind of things you can cover in future issues, and I'll definitely be buying it every month. I can't remember the last time I actually sat down and properly read a gaming magazine.

michaelf

Re:Official feedback thread for issue 19

Post by michaelf » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:03 am

Sabreman wrote: I can happily say my opinion is overwhelmingly positive.
I agree with Sabreman - the new r*g arrived thru the post on Tues and I read it with a large smile on my face on the train to work. From the "rubber love" coverline to snippets such as "loading screen of the month" it makes a satisfying read.

Any reason why just 6 month sub though?

Bleugh

error in article about Dizzy :-)

Post by Bleugh » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:19 am

it says that dizzy couldnt snorkle till his 4th adventure

we all know he could go under water in his second!

(and yes, it was a rubber mask and snorkle , not SCUBA equipment, so dont wriggle out of it that way :-) )

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:17 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I do realise that the Neo-Geo was much bigger in Japan and has some wonderful games for it. But that means little when seen on the shelf of WH Smith. The Amstrad brand is know by all and the CPC 464 even got a mention on the grand final of The Apprentice (well actually the interview programme afterwards). The attraction of "Oh, I used to own one of them, I'll buy this mag" is an important one.

For the record I would like to own an Neo Geo. As a retro enthusiast (or anorak) it's important that the mag reflects on all UK retro life. No doubt people could argue that Acorn should be mentioned on the cover as well.

What I am getting at is that the Neo-Geo does deserve cover status. But it doesn't deserve it more than the Amstrad.

As I say, NCE had the right idea. One issue even had the MSX mentioned on the cover.
I don't see the point in this really, retro gamer is a mag that covers all forms of retro, how much a certain retro console sells should have nothing to do with its bearing in the mag. I dislike the 8 bit computers, personnally i find them an unplayable mess, that isn't to mean i don't want them in the mag as others will think otherwise, i hope that all consoles will have their month in the spotlight whether its the speccy, neogeo, snes, i would also like to see the even more niche machines such as the wonderswan, marty, and pc engine FX get equal coverage to the more popular systems.

I don't see how the amstrad on the cover will attract more readers, sure there may be some people who owned the machine, but these people will be on their ps2's and xbox's and won't give a toss about the amstrad. I doubt many of its previous owners want to hear its name again never mind play it. In the end if you stuck a neogeo and amstrad side by side infront of a 100 kids who never played games before the playstation i guarentee you that all those kids will be on the neogeo. The neogeo is as playable as it ever was, it is probably the most famous of all retro consoles and deserves to be on the front cover.

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:46 am

muse hunter wrote: I dislike the 8 bit computers, personnally
Oh dear....

I never said I didn't want to see any less coverage of the consoles you love so dearly. Fact! All I said was that if the Neo-Geo can justify a place on the cover, so can a brand that shifted thousands times more units in the UK alone and was the market leader in other markets.

Sure if you want to regress to being 8 years old, I'm happy to argue machine advocacy all day, but I really don't care. I do want to read about the Neo-Geo and other Japanese consoles but to pretend that the CPC has no following or to censored the machine off because it wasn't an overpriced unit brought by a few thousand people in the UK is a joke.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:49 am

The checkout staff had real trouble scanning the barcode. Anyone elese notice this?
Yup. My copy ended up going through as a five-quid 'newspaper', because the checkout girl got aggravated with it.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:22 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
muse hunter wrote: I dislike the 8 bit computers, personnally
Oh dear....

I never said I didn't want to see any less coverage of the consoles you love so dearly. Fact! All I said was that if the Neo-Geo can justify a place on the cover, so can a brand that shifted thousands times more units in the UK alone and was the market leader in other markets.

Sure if you want to regress to being 8 years old, I'm happy to argue machine advocacy all day, but I really don't care. I do want to read about the Neo-Geo and other Japanese consoles but to pretend that the CPC has no following or to censored the machine off because it wasn't an overpriced unit brought by a few thousand people in the UK is a joke.
1.Chinny, give it up you Amstrad fanboy.

2.Can we split the thread and have a seperate Amstrad Vs Neo Geo thread cos this can't be very helpful for the RG staffers.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:30 am

A review of capcom classics, ok so it gets 84% very good - NOT ONE SCREENSHOT OF SFII?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :x

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:41 am

koopa42 wrote:A review of capcom classics, ok so it gets 84% very good - NOT ONE SCREENSHOT OF SFII?

Sorry mate, but I thought it was best to feature the good games ;)

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:48 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
koopa42 wrote:A review of capcom classics, ok so it gets 84% very good - NOT ONE SCREENSHOT OF SFII?

Sorry mate, but I thought it was best to feature the good games ;)
:P

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:52 am

Ding, ding! Rrrrooound one!
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com