Official feedback thread for issue 19

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:03 pm

Rikki wrote:Very interesting read. I always thought when dealing with abbreviations such as MOT and CD you would use ' before an "s" so the S wasnt confused.
Well, here's a good way to remember:

My CDs rock. = My CDs are all jolly good.
My CD's rock. = The rock owned by my CD.
My CDs' rock. = The rock owned by my CDs.
In ten years time it will all be "LOL OMG HI2U!!!11" anyway
Sadly, you're probably right. There was even a campaign recently to drop apostrophes, due to them being "a waste of time". That made my blood boil—good punctuation and grammar makes things easier to read. By dispensing with things like apostrophes, you may have to read a sentence a few times before fully understanding what it means.
russgalleywood wrote:Sorry for drifting off-subject a bit there, won't happen again
Yes, shame on you! I'd never drift off-topic. ;)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:40 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
In ten years time it will all be "LOL OMG HI2U!!!11" anyway
Sadly, you're probably right. There was even a campaign recently to drop apostrophes, due to them being "a waste of time". That made my blood boil—good punctuation and grammar makes things easier to read. By dispensing with things like apostrophes, you may have to read a sentence a few times before fully understanding what it means.
I'm getting really annoyed with people who write the news scripts for TV. The sentence structure is terrible sometimes. :evil:

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:38 am

Rikki wrote: Very interesting read. I always thought when dealing with abbreviations such as MOT and CD you would use ' before an "s" so the S wasnt confused.
That's why you use a small "s". CDs not CDS.

(Also can I suggest not signing your posts, we can all see it's you ;)

Rev

Post by Rev » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:45 am

OK, I've read the magazine fully now and feel like I can give some proper feedback now.

Generally - I like it. Huge room for improvement but a good starting point.

My first complaint I think is something that almost certainly came about from the quick turn around - the articles are a bit too predictable. Top 10 Spectrum, Elite, Super Metroid, Head over Heels, Dizzy - and so on. That's not to say I didn't enjoy them but they felt a bit too much like they were stating the obvious. The Amsoft and Magnetic Fields pieces I found a lot more interesting though - which suggests that it is just a short term problem to fill the magazine.

More of a pet peeve - but the word sublime brings to mind lazy forum posts that can't find the right description so use an Edge-tastic cliche. Maybe I'm the only person it bugs though.

I don't like some of the design either - the Cheap as Chips page looks a mess. But the Magnetic Fields one looks great. Very inconsistant. Presumably something else that will get tidied as time goes on.

Part that I really did like - the inclusion of reviews of recent games like Mario Kart and Sonic Rush. Something I'd like to see continue, maybe opening up from remakes and sequels to new original titles.

I enjoyed the magazine though - not worth the £5 on the cover I don't think - it's that bit too much. But I enjoyed it so I'll subscribe once my Christmas finances are sorted which brings it to a more bearable price.

Good work!

Spiff

Re:

Post by Spiff » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:10 am

CraigGrannell wrote:There was even a campaign recently to drop apostrophes, due to them being "a waste of time".
Really?! That's horrific!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:49 pm

Not finished reading this ish yet but wanted to comment on the Speccy article...

This was utterly superb (why didn't we have a speccy article of that quality in old RG Martyn?).

Loved the main piece, not too wordy and actually added to my knowledge of the the rubbered beauty...

The top ten was great (except the omission of Matchday 2, but thats just my opinion) and laid out really well. I hope the same format is used for other systems...

The screenshots (even though the idea is a blatent rip off of GamesTM) was brilliant, especially giving the names at the side.
Then 'name the game' was also a great addition (though I haven't guessed it yet).

I hope you stick with this format and do one console or computer a month like this (can't wait for a Commodore 16 piece).

Right, back to Metroid article while the missus watches Corrie :roll:

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:01 am

I've waited a while until I had thorougly read the new RG before I've made any comment.

I've read the magazine 3 times now cover to cover and on the whole its very good, one phrase that came to mind was:

The magazine is both good and original, Unfortunately The part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.

Now that may be a bit too harsh as I thoroughly enjoyed reading the mag but a few things did wind me up a bit:

Firstly I felt that some of the content had already been covered in retrogamers previous incarnation (Speccy article). No point in going over old ground when there's so much new material out there.

Secondly the game profiles rambled on a bit. The trouble with retrogaming is that most people tend to be after the games that they used to play and not have a huge amount of interest in games that they didn't. Granted that occasionally you'll find a Gem that you missed but generally this seems to be the case.
The previous RG had a way of making you interested in the game they were talking about despite the fact that you had never played it. e.g Lords of midnight trilogy spread over three issues - Being a BBC owner I had never heard of the games but the article was very thorough dealing with deveopers and the game itself and was very interesting.

A page rattling on about a game I've never played with just basic reminiscing on difficult parts or cut scenes seems to be written for a very limited audience. If you haven't played the game, you can't relate to the article and therefore its a bit dull.

Having said all that well done for a keeping a great mag alive.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:18 am

I don't mind the game profiles but there are too many of them.

In the case of "The Classic Game" it's fine when you reach the first one... but then's a couple of others! Surely it should be called "A Classic Game" if it's not *the* single classic featured in the issue.

So the Classic Games and Retro Revivals partly seemed to be padding, where a proper feature would've been preferable.

CheapSheep

Post by CheapSheep » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:36 am

If I can offer a little journalist-to-journalist advice,

The latest issue of Retro Gamer was a mag I really, really wanted to like, but there always seems to be an impenetrable barrier between the standard of the copy and the reader. Since this is also present in Imagine's 360 magazine (I haven't dared go near a copy of CheatStation for fear of worldwide ridicule), I assume this is a problem with the house style than with the writers.

the problem is, it's just so bland, cliche-ridden and uninspiried. It feels like you've quite literally plonked down the first thing that's comes to your head. Now, I know you're writing for an older target audience, but it's still possible to liven things up without alienating them. For a fine example, pick up a copy of a magazine like Micro Mart.

There's also too much assumed knowledge. For example, your review of Tecmo's compilation tells us nothing. You tell us you enjoy Bomb Jack and Solomon's Key without telling us why, or anything about them. Yes, space is at a premium with such titles, but we need to know why they still stand up to today's titles. It's less than twenty words' work for a good writer..

Other than that, the layout is outstanding (as it seems to be for all of Imagine's publications). Sort out those teething problems, and you'll be well worth a fiver. (More technical based stuff would go down a treat too! :)

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:41 am

Randall Flagg wrote: A page rattling on about a game I've never played with just basic reminiscing on difficult parts or cut scenes seems to be written for a very limited audience. If you haven't played the game, you can't relate to the article and therefore its a bit dull.
So you're saying that Retro Gamer should only cover games that you have played?

Wow. :D

beesty

Post by beesty » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:37 pm

Just like to say hello to an old friend.
I got giddy when i saw it back on shelfs
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

AndyH

Re:

Post by AndyH » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:05 pm

beesty wrote:Just like to say hello to an old friend.
I got giddy when i saw it back on shelfs
You were probably looking at the top shelf, it can have that effect on the innocent. :mrgreen:
Andy H

HEWCO (Vic 20 games)
https://hewco.uk -- https://hewco64.itch.io

ovine by design
http://www.ovine.net

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:31 am

Ash wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote: A page rattling on about a game I've never played with just basic reminiscing on difficult parts or cut scenes seems to be written for a very limited audience. If you haven't played the game, you can't relate to the article and therefore its a bit dull.

Not at all, That would be ridiculous. I am saying that there should be additional content from the writer / developer of the game and various other sources so that it also appeals and is of interest to people who didn't play the game.

Its no good reminiscing over a games difficult parts, cut scenes, end of fourth level boss when only a percentage of the readers have actually played it. That means the percentage that haven't played the game have absolutely no idea what the article is all about. I never owned an Amstrad or an MSX but I enjoy reading about how they were developed. Trials and tribulations etc.

Its a case of writing an article so that only a certain percentage of readers can enjoy or adding additional info so everyone can enjoy.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:50 am

Randall Flagg wrote:
Ash wrote:

Not at all, That would be ridiculous. I am saying that there should be additional content from the writer / developer of the game and various other sources so that it also appeals and is of interest to people who didn't play the game.

Its no good reminiscing over a games difficult parts, cut scenes, end of fourth level boss when only a percentage of the readers have actually played it. That means the percentage that haven't played the game have absolutely no idea what the article is all about. I never owned an Amstrad or an MSX but I enjoy reading about how they were developed. Trials and tribulations etc.

Its a case of writing an article so that only a certain percentage of readers can enjoy or adding additional info so everyone can enjoy.
It's interesting. A lot of people have written in (and posted on various forums) about how much they have enjoyed these smaller articles. So people love reading in-depth articles about games they have never heard of, while others hate it, no matter how in-depth the information is.

One thing I have noticed from reading all the feedback (both good and bad) is that a magazine like RG is NEVER going to please all its readers, mainly because everybody seems to want specific things from it.

Still, your points have been noticed Randall (The Stand is one of my fav books by the way) and are appreciated :)

Ash

Post by Ash » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:51 am

I see what you're saying Randall and I agree to an extent but I can't think of a single obscure game in RG19. Is there a particular game or article that you're referring to?