Official feedback thread for issue 19

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:58 pm

Hell, I haven't started doing anything for new RG yet and no profile of course. But I've been playing arcade games since the very early days (1980) so you never know, I might think of something to write about one or two in the future.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

savva0122

Post by savva0122 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:10 pm

Liked the look and feel of the new issue. Does look like a slight improvement over first RG but then again had a while to write the content, hope ti doesn't dip when the magazine has been going a while. A welcome back though!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:55 am

savva0122 wrote: but then again had a while to write the content, hope ti doesn't dip when the magazine has been going a while. A welcome back though!
Eh?

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:04 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Eh?
I think he might be assuming that you spent the time between RG mk. 1 going "bang!" and the printing of RG19 putting the latter together. You know, rather than the mad two-week hell-on-toast rush to the finish line that you actually endured.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

savva0122

Post by savva0122 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:15 am

Its a good job. Perhaps a false assumption? Let's face it I was tired and jetlagged last night, brain not in full working order

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:45 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
I think he might be assuming that you spent the time between RG mk. 1 going "bang!" and the printing of RG19 putting the latter together. You know, rather than the mad two-week hell-on-toast rush to the finish line that you actually endured.
And thus he doesn't own Retro Survival.

The fool.

Del Boy

Post by Del Boy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:25 pm

Exellent! ...great to have my favourite magazine back looking better than ever.

No barcode problems at my local Tesco either :P

Laser

Post by Laser » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:06 pm

Got to say it has a professional look. I liked the pictures, particularly the captioned pictures. I do agree with other posters that some pages were a bit much with 90% image plus tiny text.

It does appear to be covering "a little bit of everything" and nothing in depth, leaving me wondering how long the material can last. But then we said that about the old RG at about issue 4 too... :roll: Must read it through more before commenting further.

I noticed one or two minor errors in research or terms. One that particularly caught my eye is the reference to World Of Spectrum containing "roms". Ouch! Wrong answer! They're tape or disk images or snapshots. You go to WoS and start talking about ROMs and you will be duly ridiculed, believe me! :twisted:

Gren

Post by Gren » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:57 pm

Hi fellow Retro-ers(?!) (Hi to RS/RP peeps also) :D

Like the mag. Slick, professional and (hopefully) long-term......

The content doesn't seem a million miles away from the previous mags (which is good) and shows that the "old" contributors are still on song.
Nice.
Good ish 19 as well......like the interview with the Pickfords especially :lol:

My personal fave parts of retro mags are interviews with and stories about the developers of the classic games of the 80s and early 90s.
More please.
Particularly would like to see more "Where are they now" type articles.
You could start with speccy gods:
Mervyn Estcourt - Deathchase/Luna Crabs/Full Throttle
Keith Burkhill - Numerous arcade conversions for Elite

Thanks for listening Darran.
Fresh Spoo?

Mayhem

Re:

Post by Mayhem » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:02 pm

Laser wrote:You go to WoS and start talking about ROMs and you will be duly ridiculed, believe me! :twisted:
Though if you are talking about images of the 10 cartridges that were produced for the computer... then maybe not ;)

savva0122

Re:

Post by savva0122 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:05 pm

Dudley wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
And thus he doesn't own Retro Survival.

The fool.
No I don't own retro survival. I decided to go for either RB or RS and in the end went for RB since I prefer printed magazines.

Can I therefore assume there is something instrumental that I am missing?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:50 pm

Laser wrote:
I noticed one or two minor errors in research or terms. One that particularly caught my eye is the reference to World Of Spectrum containing "roms". Ouch! Wrong answer! They're tape or disk images or snapshots. You go to WoS and start talking about ROMs and you will be duly ridiculed, believe me! :twisted:
Judging by the amount of people who send us emails asking for roms, that's how the general public obviosuly refers to them... We'll certainly take it into account for future issues though :)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:48 am

Yeah it's something we deal with over at Lemon64 as well... ROMs only applies to stuff that used to be on chips beforehand. At least there's plenty of cartridges for the C64. There's only ten for the Speccy.

Much that I generally just let it slide, some people do like to be totally specific. Hence I always make sure my terminology is correct as you know someone will pick up on it ;)

JennyTablina

Post by JennyTablina » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:25 am

I picked up RG 16 over the weekend and I have to say, well done to you guys for bringing the mag back!

I only have one complaint and thats about the letters page, it's gonna be bigger in the next issue or so right? One page seemed kinda small for it and with the community feel the original almost always had there was always a fair amount of space for letters.

Also can people still contribute to the mag if they want? As I'ld love to write an article sometime

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:20 am

savva0122 wrote: No I don't own Retro Survival. I decided to go for either RB or RS and in the end went for RB since I prefer printed magazines.

Can I therefore assume there is something instrumental that I am missing?
Well, have a look at http://www.retrosurvival.co.uk - there you will find out all about the CD, produced by the freelance writers (including myself). You could call it the "lost" issue of Retro Gamer - most of the material on the CD was destined for the "original" issue 19. If you like RG, you'll find all the familiar columns and content.