Official feedback thread for issue 19

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Q*MATT

Post by Q*MATT » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:48 pm

Hello ,
Nice to see the new issue.
At first glance it does look like they have just renamed GamesTm - Retro gamer.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:06 pm

Q*MATT wrote:Hello ,
What about a second glance ;)

Seriously though, feel free to tell us why you think it seems so similar, we'd love to hear.

Retroscrooge

Post by Retroscrooge » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:17 pm

Out of curiosity; how many pages are there? Because Fandenivoldsk's list of features is huge! :)
Retrogaming since 1895.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:51 pm

Retroscrooge wrote:Out of curiosity; how many pages are there? Because Fandenivoldsk's list of features is huge! :)
116 mate

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:38 am

I picked up a copy this morning from WHSmiths. From a cursory glance the format and presentation is great. 8)

I'm glad that some elements of the GameTM retro have been used but expanded like the rising sun retro and retro bosses. :)

Also glad you've included those GBA/DS reviews, nice one.

Well I'm certainly looking forward to sitting down with a brew and some spare time to read this through proper ^_^

Standard of quality is very professional as well but will it stay like this though? The high quality tends to drop off after a few issues with other publications in the past.

But otherwise well done. :D

Markie

Re:

Post by Markie » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:45 am

TheShend wrote:Standard of quality is very professional as well but will it stay like this though? The high quality tends to drop off after a few issues with other publications in the past.

Hi Shend... not to worry about quality drop off. Imagine has been built on the ideal of high quality magazines. That goes for editorial, design and even the package itself. And given that we have a set of niché mags all run by enthusiasts, if anything, as RG settles into it's new home here in Bournemouth, quality is going up as we really start to drive this baby! :D

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:50 am

Mon Dieu!!!!!

I be ze 'appy :D

romanista

Re:

Post by romanista » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:45 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Q*MATT wrote:Hello ,
What about a second glance ;)

Seriously though, feel free to tell us why you think it seems so similar, we'd love to hear.

think he means the screenshot page of the ZX abnd large game shot with little text.. but they're just logical inclusions.. i'm interested how the games TM will change now you've left though
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

mechamonkey

Post by mechamonkey » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:14 am

Just beautiful.

Its the only magzine I've bought in years that I actually want to keep!

I especially enjoyed the Pickfords interview, the absolutely heavenly cover and feel of the mag.
I also enjoyed the GBA/DS reviews as they felt very much 'in character' with the mag.

10/10 ace :)
Born from an egg on a mountain top

Wil

Post by Wil » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:19 am

Skived off work to get the new issue this morning (well, I had to get some new brushes :wink: )

Stonkingly nice! Looks the dogs and has loads to read as well. You're just trying not to make me do any work!

Wil

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:34 am

OK, have had my hands on a copy for a couple of hours. In all it's brilliant but I will make a few observations.

1 - I almost walked out of WHSmiths empty handed as I couldn't find the mag. I spent ages looking. Just as I was about to leave I gave a final look and it had been in front of me the entire time. I knew what I was looking for (having seen the preview of the cover) but the mag just wasn't standing out on the shelf despite being at the front of the rack.

I made it easier for people who followed me by taking some copies and stacking them in front of the adjacent magazine so Retro Gamer was more prominent.

2 - The checkout staff had real trouble scanning the barcode. Anyone elese notice this? It's very dinky and smart on the front of the mag but the bloke just couldn't get it to scan.

3 - Love the Amsoft article. Pity they omitted the story about how Alan Sugars son came up with the idea for the game where you jumped over the busses Eddie Kid style (I forget the name). Also missed a trick as they could have listed the entire Amsoft catalogue and if there are any rare titles. I could be sitting on a fortune! Or not.... :-)

4 - I thought we would see the back of wasting entire pages with screenshots to open articles etc. I'm hoping this is just a ploy to use space up as the first issues of the mag are on such a tight deadline.

5 - More adverts. That's good. Means the mag will be healthier. I do hope you'll get some of the old advertisers on-board as it was always good to see the likes of Chronosoft and their latest games.

6 - No mention of Amstrad on the cover despite the fact that Amstrad were the biggest manufacturer of computers in the UK for the entire 1980's. Who owns a Neo-Geo? Seriously? I've owned every major past UK format barring some Nintendo stuff and I've seen more Amstrad GX4000's than I have Neo-Geos. In fact I strongly suspect the GX4000 sold more in the UK!

7- The design is much better. Barring what I said above.

8 - Good to see the old features in the mag. If you are going to feature Crash and Zzap in the Back to the Eighties feature, then it would be a good idea to feature an Amstrad magazine as well.

But it's fantastic. Sorry if my comments seem a little negative. I'm not trying to be negative, just providing some feedback. It's a fantastic job and I can't wait for issue 2.

Markie

Re:

Post by Markie » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:51 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:If you are going to feature Crash and Zzap in the Back to the Eighties feature, then it would be a good idea to feature an Amstrad magazine as well.
Hi Chinny...

Amstrad is right there in No.20! I've literally just finished designing those pages and cut out a lovely Amtix! logo! :wink:

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:52 am

The point about the barcode is right, the lady at the till had to type it in :D

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:59 am

chinny wrote:6 - No mention of Amstrad on the cover despite the fact that Amstrad were the biggest manufacturer of computers in the UK for the entire 1980's. Who owns a Neo-Geo? Seriously? I've owned every major past UK format barring some Nintendo stuff and I've seen more Amstrad GX4000's than I have Neo-Geos. In fact I strongly suspect the GX4000 sold more in the UK!
Surely this is more reason to write about the Neo as back in the nineties it was a real luxury gamers item. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE wanted one knowing that the games you got for it would be identical to the games you played down at the local arcade. It's a machine that's attained cult status and while everyone knows hte ins & outs of the C64/speccy/Amstrad etc. I reckon for alot of people reading the mag this would have been a very informative and entertaining read.

Anyway, the Amstrad was just censored. :lol:

btw, I couldn't find the mag in Smiths today either. I'm actually gonna buy it this time I was so impressed with it at Retro Ball. :wink:

Ash

Re:

Post by Ash » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:00 am

chinnyhill10 wrote: 6 - No mention of Amstrad on the cover despite the fact that Amstrad were the biggest manufacturer of computers in the UK for the entire 1980's. Who owns a Neo-Geo? Seriously? I've owned every major past UK format barring some Nintendo stuff and I've seen more Amstrad GX4000's than I have Neo-Geos. In fact I strongly suspect the GX4000 sold more in the UK!
I know loads of people that own Neo Geos, in fact my housemate just traded his CD Z towards a 360 (fool). I've owned both an Amstrad 464+ and a Neo Geo AES in my time so I'm not being bias either.