Issue 155

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14880
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Issue 155

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 21, 2016 4:27 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Not that bothered about NES/Sega/1999 articles, but the rest of the mag looks like its been written for me this month. Good show, nice to get an issue heavy on older stuff every now and then.
Conversely I might give this one a miss for the same reasons. The NES and Sega articles would have sold it to me but I've honestly read enough about the two over the years (mostly in RG) so I don't think it would be worth the admission fee this month.

Still got the last 3 issues to get through anyway :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6326
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Issue 155

Post by merman » Sat May 21, 2016 4:45 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Not that bothered about NES/Sega/1999 articles, but the rest of the mag looks like its been written for me this month. Good show, nice to get an issue heavy on older stuff every now and then.
Conversely I might give this one a miss for the same reasons. The NES and Sega articles would have sold it to me but I've honestly read enough about the two over the years (mostly in RG) so I don't think it would be worth the admission fee this month.

Still got the last 3 issues to get through anyway :oops:
Oh, the NES article is definitely worth it - there is new stuff in there, from the original designer.

Thought it was a great issue myself, the NES piece by Paul and David's in-depth look at Sega were top quality. Nick's article on Fatal Fury taught me a lot about that series, and Luke's speed running piece was different and well put together.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

dpg50000
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 8:15 pm

Re: Issue 155

Post by dpg50000 » Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 am

Not read it yet, but like the dual cover. Actually prefer the Orion cover, but can see why the NES one is the "real" cover (popularity / recognition). Only thing I didn't like about the NES cover was the white spots. I thought they spoilt the cover somewhat. What are they supposed to be? Paint splashes?

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14880
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Issue 155

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 22, 2016 11:47 pm

dpg50000 wrote:Not read it yet, but like the dual cover. Actually prefer the Orion cover, but can see why the NES one is the "real" cover (popularity / recognition). Only thing I didn't like about the NES cover was the white spots. I thought they spoilt the cover somewhat. What are they supposed to be? Paint splashes?
Probably a nod to the NES console packaging which had stars in the background as if it were in space:

Image
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

dpg50000
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 8:15 pm

Re: Issue 155

Post by dpg50000 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 am

That'll be it- cheers. Should have known that, seeing as I had a NES back in the day :oops:

In my defence, it was 28 years ago.....

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3345
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Issue 155

Post by greenberet79 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:17 am

merman wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:What on earth is Master of Orion?

Either way, looks good (the proper NES cover I mean!)

Always look forward to the shiny blue delivery in my letter box!
Master of Orin is a strategy game, considered the founder of 4X games.
There's a making of in the issue and a remake/reboot on the way.
What on earth is a 4X game? I clearly missed something over the past 30 years!

Looking forward to reading the issue next week on the beach :) I might even read about this newfangled "4X" and "Master of Orion" :lol:
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5233
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Issue 155

Post by Matt_B » Mon May 23, 2016 10:40 am

greenberet79 wrote:
merman wrote:
greenberet79 wrote:What on earth is Master of Orion?

Either way, looks good (the proper NES cover I mean!)

Always look forward to the shiny blue delivery in my letter box!
Master of Orin is a strategy game, considered the founder of 4X games.
There's a making of in the issue and a remake/reboot on the way.
What on earth is a 4X game? I clearly missed something over the past 30 years!

Looking forward to reading the issue next week on the beach :) I might even read about this newfangled "4X" and "Master of Orion" :lol:
It's either a traditional Australian game you play with a stack of old lager cans or one where you eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. :)

User avatar
Lurchibles
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Re: Issue 155

Post by Lurchibles » Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 am

The NES cover does have that instant recognition - if you're in the supermarket or newsagents and you see it in the corner of your eye, and you played it "back in the day" then you're more likely to pick it up. I can see it appealing to people who no longer play Retro games but have that nostalgia factor.

The NES article is fantastic though. A real treat :)

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3345
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Issue 155

Post by greenberet79 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:29 am

Lurchibles wrote:The NES cover does have that instant recognition - if you're in the supermarket or newsagents and you see it in the corner of your eye, and you played it "back in the day" then you're more likely to pick it up. I can see it appealing to people who no longer play Retro games but have that nostalgia factor.

The NES article is fantastic though. A real treat :)
Exactly. I'm personally quite happy for RG to do that, if it sells more copies and helps keep the mag going.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
Lurchibles
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 5:56 pm

Re: Issue 155

Post by Lurchibles » Thu May 26, 2016 12:55 pm

I found the Burger Time article to feel a little bit, erm, well - boring. Sorry guys! It was sandwiched between NES and Empire Strikes Back articles, and there was a clear difference in both my levels of excitement and how interesting the article was...

How did you guys find it?

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Issue 155

Post by theantmeister » Fri May 27, 2016 7:41 am

Personally, I'm sick of RG pandering to the vocal minority who raise a stink every time the NES gets any praise. Designing and printing and entire second cover is a bit much, isn't it?

I've only started reading the NES article, but of course you don't get very far in without reading how the NES didn't do very well in the UK...

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6734
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Issue 155

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 27, 2016 9:06 am

What's your beef? We're constantly accused of running NES articles and saying how it was a huge success in Europe (which we've never done in any hardware articles to my knowledge) so we've made it as clear as we could.
Incidentally it's already looking like our best selling issue of the year so far, so it's clear that even if there are readers who don't like the machine the general audience has a completely different view.
Image

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Issue 155

Post by theantmeister » Fri May 27, 2016 9:54 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:What's your beef? We're constantly accused of running NES articles and saying how it was a huge success in Europe (which we've never done in any hardware articles to my knowledge) so we've made it as clear as we could.
Incidentally it's already looking like our best selling issue of the year so far, so it's clear that even if there are readers who don't like the machine the general audience has a completely different view.
I appreciate that you're stuck between two camps and there really isn't any right answer. It just annoys me that you feel you need to almost apologise every time you run a Nintendo piece. Especially when it sells. It sells because the vast majority want to read about it, but we only seem to hear from the vocal minority that doesn't.

DRS
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:47 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: Issue 155

Post by DRS » Fri May 27, 2016 10:27 am

theantmeister wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:What's your beef? We're constantly accused of running NES articles and saying how it was a huge success in Europe (which we've never done in any hardware articles to my knowledge) so we've made it as clear as we could.
Incidentally it's already looking like our best selling issue of the year so far, so it's clear that even if there are readers who don't like the machine the general audience has a completely different view.
I appreciate that you're stuck between two camps and there really isn't any right answer. It just annoys me that you feel you need to almost apologise every time you run a Nintendo piece. Especially when it sells. It sells because the vast majority want to read about it, but we only seem to hear from the vocal minority that doesn't.
This made me smile... before I began writing the NES piece, Darran did say much the same (that though RG hadn't ever said the NES was a massive success in the UK, the mag still seemed to get accused of claiming it WAS huge and RG was guilty of a kind of Ninty revisionism...)

I tried to reflect this by pointing out that many that never had the console back in the day (me included!) find it really interesting and 'important' because of what Nintendo did next. That's part of the appeal of retro I suppose - looking back at stuff that you missed first time alongside the warm nostalgia of revisiting something you grew up with.

Anyway, thanks for the nice words about the NES piece on this thread. Ta.

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Issue 155

Post by Eric » Fri May 27, 2016 2:30 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed reading both the NES and BurgerTime articles. Had no idea that BurgerTime cab needed a tape to load the game originally! These articles are what I subscribe for "proper retro" that can't be found in other mags.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests