From The Forum issue 156 - Game Boy Advance

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nikolai

Re: From The Forum issue 156 - Game Boy Advance

Post by Nikolai » Fri May 06, 2016 11:04 pm

Got mine when my family was on our first vacation to Gran Canaria, back in 2001. Still has it, still works, and is part of my little Nintendo handheld collection.:) First game I had on it was the GBA version of Super Mario World IIRC.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 07, 2016 4:44 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:
Retron 5 is great for playing GBA games on a big screen.

Nes for original and color GB games, and a Snes pad for GBA games just seems to fit perfect.

Plus you can transfer save data back to the cart to carry your game on the move.
I've heard some good things about the retron 5. My only gripe is does it work with flash carts like the GB Everdrive or EZFlash IV?
GBA Player for GameCube works fine with my EZFlash IV. And since it plays from the cart, save games are on it anyway so you don't need to mess about transferring saves.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:46 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
GBA Player for GameCube works fine with my EZFlash IV. And since it plays from the cart, save games are on it anyway so you don't need to mess about transferring saves.
True, same with the GB Everdrive as well. Would be nice if the Retron 5 could be used though with Flash Carts, as its mean't to look great on HD televisions.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat May 07, 2016 5:54 pm

The only Nintendo console I got to like. A lot of hours on trains spent playing Lunar Legend, Driver, Metroid Fusion, Konami Krazy Racers and a lot of other great games. Great little console with an excellent roster of games.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 07, 2016 10:11 pm

What a superb machine this was, had it in a few incarnations. The original was such a cool design but was tragic it was not backlit. I eventually ended up with the gorgeous GBA Micro although the screen was a bit small for my eyes. But a terrific handheld with some of the best 2D titles ever on it :)

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:49 pm

An amazing handheld that is cheap and easy to collect for (providing you only collect the cartridges and not boxes). They hardly take up any room and are multi-region! I've got every incarnation from the Original and SP to the Micro and Gamecube Player and amassed over 350 games! They're also fully compatible with Gameboy and Gameboy Color games!

David

Post by David » Thu May 12, 2016 2:39 pm

The system that introduced me to my favourite game series Fire Pro Wrestling

I remember buying a promotional magazine before its release and looking at final fight etc thinking it looked amazing

Dremk3

Post by Dremk3 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:34 pm

I waited untill the SP came out. That timeless thing would fit any pocket. I bought Zelda:alttp on a holiday on Italy in 2003. It took me 3 years to complete the game, just because I only took an handheld on holiday. Still taking a PSP or GBA:SP with me on every holiday

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Wed May 18, 2016 11:36 am

Cracking little console - great memories of taking mine into work to play Boulder Dash EX linked up with my work mates. Also Ghouls & Ghosts is excellent. The lack of a back light was a PITA, had a 3rd party one installed by a "talented" cousin. The SP was a great step forward too, more comfortable to hold, build in back light and rechargeable. Still got 2 sp's and a GBA.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed May 18, 2016 2:59 pm

I remember picking up a white one with Golden Sun, which ended up being one of my top ten games of all time!

Cracking little handheld with loads of great games (sadly far too much shovelware also!)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Sun May 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Manic Miner - a brilliant update of the original game, with new levels too, such a shame there was no Jet Set Willy to follow it up.

Lurchibles

Post by Lurchibles » Sun May 22, 2016 8:14 pm

Got mine off eBay after Christmas 2001. Absolutely loved the GBA! Favourite game has to be Golden Sun. Could've easily been a trope of an RPG but did just enough differently to feel fresh and exciting in a time where Final Fantasy was still in it's prime. And you could play it on the bus!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun May 22, 2016 8:22 pm

Bought a Game Boy Mirco a while back. Stunning piece of kit but was just too small to be comfortable for more than a few minutes play so I sold it - kinda regret it now though
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

smccd

Post by smccd » Wed May 25, 2016 10:37 am

When my friend in university let me borrow his GBA, I would play it in class and receive glares from the professors and classmates.