From The Forum issue 156 - Game Boy Advance

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 156 - Game Boy Advance

Post by NickThorpe » Tue May 03, 2016 9:53 am

Hola, howdy, and how's it going - once again, it's time for us to extract your brain-broth to complete the banquet that is our Mailbag section.

This time around, we want your memories of the Game Boy Advance, which is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. There's a lot to talk about here - it came in loads of different models including cool special editions, so everyone will doubtless have a favourite way to play. It also played host to lots of retro re-releases and carried the flag for 2D gaming at a time when the majority of home consoles games had gone all polygonal. Oh, and then there's the system's short lifespan - it didn't even take four years for the DS to come along and steal its lunch.

As usual a selection of replies will show up in the magazine, based on a set of criteria lost to the sands of time.

NorthWay

Re: From The Forum issue 156 - Game Boy Advance

Post by NorthWay » Tue May 03, 2016 10:55 am

I got one when they were new. Sits in a drawer somewhere. I think the lack of backlight was what made it fizzle out for me. Got a Micro for sale?
But I loved the Warioland game I have for it - pure class.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 03, 2016 11:13 am

Always struggled to enjoy it until the GBA player for the gamecube came along. An essential bit of kit that was a godsend for people still pining for the Snes. Sequels to many Snes games made it like an unofficial Snes 2.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue May 03, 2016 12:08 pm

I picked mine up while I was in the US for a wedding in 2001. Happily, Nintendo still made region free handhelds back then. I struggled through Castlevania for a while before relenting and getting an afterburner backlight fitted.
RodimusPrime wrote:An essential bit of kit that was a godsend for people still pining for the Snes. Sequels to many Snes games made it like an unofficial Snes 2.
Super Mario Kart Super Circuit is my favourite Mario Kart sequel and Metroid Fusion is sublime. Both could easily have been SNES games.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Tue May 03, 2016 12:32 pm

I still carry my SP with me on the train each day, perfect for some quick arcade action, I have nothing but great love for this console and its backward compatibility. I see it as the last great hurrah (the way I like my gaming) before things became touch screen and internet connectable......:o(
Last edited by bensonrad on Tue May 03, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue May 03, 2016 2:36 pm

I'd seen them, but didn't think much of the screen - until I got a Micro as they were selling them off to make way for the DS. Absolutely brilliant little box. Space Harrier from the SEGA Arcade Gallery cartridge and Iridion II are the standout games for me, though Advance Wars was a great game too, while it lasted.

I remember once getting jealous looks from a few kids on a train as they struggled to hold up their chunky DS consoles and prod the screen of their typically plodding Nintendo games, while my little GB Micro was hurling the sprites of Space Harrier all around the screen. None of them had the faintest idea that I was using an old system pushed aside by the very 'new thing' they were holding.

merman

Post by merman » Tue May 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Sitting on a coach for six hours completing the original Wario Ware is my main GBA memory. I now own both an original purple GBA and a blue SP, which are great for just picking up and playing.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 03, 2016 4:47 pm

I had the original clear-blue model not long after launch and the step-up in power from the GBC really blew me away. Amazing how the screen was acceptable back in 2001 but I wouldn't dream of trying to find the perfect patch of sunlight today! Software library is ridiculously strong as well in terms of both 16bit ports and original titles.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed May 04, 2016 4:01 pm

My 'memories' of the GBA are poor due to the lack of screen lighting. I only finished Metroid on it before I decided enough was enough. Then the SP happened and although it was better it was still weak.

Then about 6 years ago I had a craving to play Link's Awakening and I needed another GB. I then discovered the beauty of the AGS-101 and have been in love since. The screen is so fantastic it allows you to fully enjoy the many stunning game so the system. From Castlevania to Mana. From Mario to even Sonic, it has so many great titles.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed May 04, 2016 8:13 pm

The best handheld Nintendo made, until the DS turned up, and even then, you could still play GBA games on it! Double bargain. While I didn't need to buy the re-releases from the SNES era (bar Metroid Zero), because I had the games already, it was still host to plenty of classics such as Ninja Five-O, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Minish Cap, Metroid Fusion, Mario&Luigi, Drill Dozer, Wario Ware, and Advance Wars. Its use as a playing device with Pac-Man Vs was inspired to boot.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 05, 2016 10:57 am

Superb system that I first really "discovered" when I got a DS Lite and noticed that Slot 2 was for GBA carts. So I picked up a few GBA games and went from there. Since then, I've picked up a couple of GBA SPs, a Micro and the Gameboy Player. It also got me back into the old Gameboy/Color range as well thanks to its backward compatibility.

Looking at the range of hardware, its disappointing they didn't provide an internal backlight or even frontlight for the original GBA, but this is rectified with the GBA SP and Micro. I am tempted though to buy an original GBA with a backlit mod, as it does look like the more comfortable of all the GBAs available and would be good to use as a controller for the Gameboy Player (as using a linked up GBA SP is annoying with the L/R shoulder buttons awkward to use with the connector on it, not a fan of the digipad for the Cube Controller, and the Hori pad is overpriced for a control pad).

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:Superb system that I first really "discovered" when I got a DS Lite and noticed that Slot 2 was for GBA carts. So I picked up a few GBA games and went from there. Since then, I've picked up a couple of GBA SPs, a Micro and the Gameboy Player. It also got me back into the old Gameboy/Color range as well thanks to its backward compatibility.

Looking at the range of hardware, its disappointing they didn't provide an internal backlight or even frontlight for the original GBA, but this is rectified with the GBA SP and Micro. I am tempted though to buy an original GBA with a backlit mod, as it does look like the more comfortable of all the GBAs available and would be good to use as a controller for the Gameboy Player (as using a linked up GBA SP is annoying with the L/R shoulder buttons awkward to use with the connector on it, not a fan of the digipad for the Cube Controller, and the Hori pad is overpriced for a control pad).
Retron 5 is great for playing GBA games on a big screen.

Nes for original and color GB games, and a Snes pad for GBA games just seems to fit perfect.

Plus you can transfer save data back to the cart to carry your game on the move.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:23 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:

Nes for original and color GB games, and a Snes pad for GBA games just seems to fit perfect.

Plus you can transfer save data back to the cart to carry your game on the move.
I've heard some good things about the retron 5. My only gripe is does it work with flash carts like the GB Everdrive or EZFlash IV?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:

I've heard some good things about the retron 5. My only gripe is does it work with flash carts like the GB Everdrive or EZFlash IV?
An update is supposed to be coming to allow you to do that, or you could get the retro freak which is a similar idea but will play roms.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:10 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
An update is supposed to be coming to allow you to do that, or you could get the retro freak which is a similar idea but will play roms.
Ah right, ok cheers. Will be interesting for the Retron as it looks a nice bit of kit. I presume its a software update rather than a hardware one?