Retro Gamer Issue 154

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroBob

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 154

Post by RetroBob » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:25 pm

Great to hear RG is doing well, deservedly do too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:06 pm

Nice to hear of the good sales for RG. It's the only mag I've read since back in the day. Once all the Sega, Nintendo, Amiga and 8-bit mags finished up it only left the likes of Edge, GamesTM and the Official mags. Modern mags seem very plain and dull compared to them and RG.

Really enjoyed the Desert Strike Ultimate Guide with Mike Posehn. Was interesting to hear that he was not a gamer and the reason he choose the isometric view.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun May 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Was the total word count lower this month? Finished it in less than a week which must be a new record for me.
That front page did nothing for me, as with the game it is from (yes, those are very probably connected).
Otherwise a good number of quality articles, with the possible exception of yet another fighting game (no, not my cup of tea).
Do you have any more info about Steve Caslin which sounds like someone who might have done some cool stuff?

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Mon May 09, 2016 10:06 pm

I managed to get through the mag in a few days as well. I assumed I was more interested in the content of this issue.

How do you measure RG's sales? Is it simply a matter of counting the no. of issues sent out & issues (covers?) returned?

RG_Drew

Post by RG_Drew » Tue May 10, 2016 9:06 am

Hi NorthWay/Night_beat

No, we have not cut any word counts for any feature or standing element of the magazine.

merman

Post by merman » Wed May 11, 2016 4:08 pm

merman wrote:I'll be posting some DVD extras for the VIC-20 article this week...
This will still be going ahead but various things (including writing a new article for issue 156...) got in the way.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun May 15, 2016 12:59 pm

For me the VIC 20 feature was by far the best thing in this issue.

More stuff like this please!

Also, is it just me or is the home brew section fading away a bit again?
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun May 15, 2016 6:54 pm

GarryG wrote:For me the VIC 20 feature was by far the best thing in this issue.

More stuff like this please!

Also, is it just me or is the home brew section fading away a bit again?
Home brew is 4 pages as it always is. Hardly fading away.

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 16, 2016 11:16 am

GarryG wrote:Also, is it just me or is the home brew section fading away a bit again?
No, it's just the Commodore 64 screenshots - they always look like that. :lol: :roll:

skinny

Post by skinny » Mon May 16, 2016 10:45 pm

Good to see a feature on Croc - I always felt it was an unappreciated game. Played it all the way through back in the day, and my 8 and 9 year old boys are enjoying it now.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:11 pm

Loved the Renegade and Cobra features (is it just me or was Cobra nigh on impossible on the Speccy?? Still loved it though). Desert Strike was good.

Not interested in Quake though, never played it. Same for DOA. I think I missed that generation.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Sun May 22, 2016 2:39 pm

Some late feedback, a good issue ,always been a fan of Croc, we got by pure chance as originally we got Final Fantasy (something) on the PS1 and found it dull and boring so swapped it for Croc instead much more fun, never knew there was a sequel.

Minority Report was of particular interest, Dracula The Undead is a fantasic game well worth playing, so highly detailed but too it is too short and just seems to suddenly end, run out of memory? I remember Dirty Larry, Chequred Flag were all good , Kung Food was not that bad from what I remember , have played worse games.

Interesting to read about the Vic 20, never used one, but still interesting subject, any chance of a making of Perils Of Willy?

Atic Atac - a brilliant game, and us BBC owners were lucky it got converted, as no other platforms got a version(I think that's correct) a superb game, shame the article wasn't longer !

Never really played Quake much despite having a copy on my Iyonix (RISC OS) which comes with Malice and some other scenarios which I can't remember the name of, works on modern machines too, as seems to be on par with the PC version, might have to give it a proper go sometime, and now Doom has been updated too, even better !

Lurchibles

Post by Lurchibles » Sun May 22, 2016 8:27 pm

I just want to say the Quake article was a treat. I knew it would be, so in a weird way I delayed my reading so that I would read that one on my birthday. Was not disappointed guys - thanks for giving me some quality reading as I celebrate my aging!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:58 pm

If you liked that, then I'll point you towards the book 'Masters of Doom' if you've not already read it. Despite the title, it covers so much more than Doom and has to be one of the best gaming books I've read.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Mon May 23, 2016 3:38 pm

Imhotep wrote: Interesting to read about the Vic 20, never used one, but still interesting subject, any chance of a making of Perils Of Willy?
Highly trained operatives are, as we speak, attempting to track down the author...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube