From the forum issue 155 - Speedrunning

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From the forum issue 155 - Speedrunning

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:33 pm

It's that time of the month again! This time, it's speedrunning - have you ever tried speedrunning a game, for fun or competitively? What's a quick gaming finish you're proud of? Do you watch speedrunners online?

As ever, I'll choose a selection of responses to put in the mag.

The Laird

Re: From the forum issue 155 - Speedrunning

Post by The Laird » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:34 pm

Nope, I honestly don't see the point of it myself.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:27 pm

You have to respect the level of skill to pull off a decent speed run but it looks like the least fun thing to practice for.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:59 pm

I think it's despicable, and disrespectful to the game-makers who undoubtedly would like players to enjoy their creation to the fullest. I will though use cheats in games, and usually as many as humanly possible.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:05 pm

The Laird wrote:Nope, I honestly don't see the point of it myself.
Ditto, I just don't get it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:06 pm

I wouldn't have the skills to try, but hasn't videogames always been about the challenge & getting the best score or best time or whatever, so seems a perfectly logical thing to attempt to compete at.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:14 am

I remember speedrunning Ultimate's Underwurlde before speedrunning existed.

We found one of the exits was quite near the start and somehow it became a challenge among a small circle of school friends to race there and compare times. Fighting against the odd bouncy controls was half the battle.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:23 am

I can't see why anyone would find regular speedrunning objectionable. You'd generally need to have played a game to death, mapped it out, and be familiar with the majority of the game mechanics to be able to make a decent attempt at a speedrun anyway; and any glitches you might exploit to get the time down would generally have been found during normal gameplay too.

Tool-assisted speedrunning, on the other hand, would seem rather cheaty to the uninitiated. Still, I guess it's all bound up in the modding scene for games and letting players do what the want is just part and parcel as that. It's not like making them doesn't require skill; it's just different skills to actually playing the game. Passing off a tool-assisted run as a regular run seems a bit low though, but then again you've always got to take improbable things you see on YouTube with a pinch of salt. Even if someone hasn't played through a game in slow motion and/or with an autopilot you still don't know how many snapshots and rollbacks they used.

Anyway, I'd submit Activision's Dragster as the ultimate speedrunning game. There's really only one way to play it and, win or lose, it only take seconds.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:43 pm

I would often speedrun through Goldeneye for the N64. The cheat system made me want to see how fast I could play through the whole game, many a Saturday morning as a kid was spent speeding through Agent mode (and eventually Secret Agent mode) I enjoyed doing it and still do from time to time :)

In regards to watching speed runs online...
I enjoy watching none glitch speedruns of games I grew up with. I recently watched a complete near flawless play through of Kid Chameleon and was just blown away by how effortless it seemed! I love the game but never legitimately finished it, it's just too bloomin hard!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:47 pm

I've seen some quite cool speed runs online. Some of the tricks and tactics the players use to save time are amazing though.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Games that can be speedrun in a few hours i will attempt otherwise no. Only after initial slow completion though. Metal Gear and Resident Evil are some good examples for speed runs!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Personally I get zero enjoyment from speedrunning a game myself and I get very little more from watching a speed-run. Nice skills from the players but I'm just not interested in seeing it. The entire concept just goes against my way of savouring a game and taking my time with it if I like it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:38 pm

I can totally admire the effort people put into these speed runs but I have neither the time nor energy needed for something so competitive.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:48 pm

My definition of speed running is using the portals in Super Mario Bros or the flutes in Mario 3.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:41 am

It's one way of getting a bit extra out of a title you've played to death, and it's an alternative to trying to get a high score.

For myself , I struggle to finish most games at normal speed...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"