Retro Gamer issue 153

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gi joe

Re: Retro Gamer issue 153

Post by gi joe » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:45 pm

Annoyed my sub copied turned up the day the competition inside expired so I couldn't enter as it was too late.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:05 am

gi joe wrote:Annoyed my sub copied turned up the day the competition inside expired so I couldn't enter as it was too late.
That's in error, its been posted about both here and on the website
http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=52283
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:26 am

gi joe wrote:Annoyed my sub copied turned up the day the competition inside expired so I couldn't enter as it was too late.
It's my bad. The competition is staying open. It's hopefully going to be clear it's a mistake because it's before the onsale date.

Send your photos in as normal :)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:11 am

Arrived yesterday. Apart from a slightly bland front the rest seems to be pretty good. Looking forward to read it all.
Seeing how you have hooked up with Anthony Crowther I expect much more about him and Alligata.
The Op Wolf and Ikari articles seems to herald a new spin and reuse of some old articles. Hope to see the format extend to more "virgin territory".
Not sure I think the new homebrew section is better than the old. Or as good.

And then one thing that (IIRC) has been going on for an issue or two: The next month page. Are you trying to sell in a new layout for the magazine? Can we have back the old more busy/crowded layout of it?

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:47 am

Very nice issue - just arrived today in NZ, and so thought the Rare article was really well done - thats when I first got into consoles and Nintendo, so it brings back some great memories.

Just a note on the Robocop conversions - its missed that there was a U.S. DOS version by Data East that was very good, and was a direct conversion of the Arcade game - also had much better 16 colour graphics than the mediocre one release in the UK by Ocean.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Another great article by Martyn with the Op Wolf piece. Interesting that he says the original is a light gun game whilst Thunderbolt isn't, as it had been mentioned on this forum previously that it WASN'T a lightgun game. Which prompted me to go the the arcade in Bury (first time for me, and it really IS excellent). Put my hand in front of the gun, and I can confirm that it definitely IS a lightgun game! :D

One thing that I didn't remember was the gun being as far away from the screen as it was - much closer on Thunderbolt, but I'm assuming that has something to do with one being a lightgun and the other not? Also the 'warning screen' I always thought was a random encounter, as it didn't always seem to appear in the game?

Oh and I also played Op Wolf 3 (again at the arcade in Bury) which is utterly awful - but still glad I played it.

So Martyn, your article was that good it prompted me to go to Bury to play the games in the flesh, and made it more enjoyable for doing so. Great to read about games, great to play them - doing both (unemulated!) is best of all.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:21 am

Main interest for me this month was the Blagger article, I only ever owned Blagger on the BBC , never realised there was a sequel too, got them both now. Would be interesting to have an Alligata article, don't think there's been one.

Interesting to read about how Sega messed up their later consoles, have always wondered how a such dominant hardware supplier made such a mess of things, now we know !

Monaco GP and Operation Wolf were interesting, remember playing both of those in the arcades. Never played any of the Rare N64 games, so for me the 8 bit era will always what I remember them for.

Chips Challenge was a favourite when we had a Lynx, so interesting to read about it, and as for Thrust, totally agree, I a great game , often go back to it, but can never get very far, always hope I will but never do.

Look forward to next month, especially Atic Atac and Croc.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:01 pm

For once I finished an issue before the next was out (been a couple of days since obviously) - which should be an indication that I liked it a lot.

As I said, the front was ...possible to improve on. Hardware is notoriously difficult to make look interesting. For computers you typically used a screen to show some of the personality of it, but that applies not so much to a console. Cutting away absolutely all background makes it very "dry" and I see you added in some of your own. I like that you try different approaches at least.
The Sega article was good, but it could have been more in-depth on the tech side. Is it more or less a genlock over the original machine? I expect a follow-up notice in a coming issue where you draw parallells to the PS4K and rumoured XBone+ machines.
Yar's Revenge: Was this by any chance similar to something from GamesTM?
Have you dropped Future Classic? Fine by me. Omikron kinda seemed to be that but without the headline. Still, interesting and tied in neatly with game over for Bowie.

Solid stuff. (Missing a few book and music kickstarters over the last year I think, but you might do a write-up on them as they get released?)