Retro Gamer issue 152

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

Re: Retro Gamer issue 152

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:35 am

HEAVYface wrote:I don't buy retrogamer every month, but i'm enjoying this issue greatly, nice to see wipeout feature in the mag with sega rally, although there was a weird quote/sentence in that article made it sound like the devs left Sega racing studio in the lurch to head to Codemasters, when actually everybody was made redundant one day and locked out of the building (or maybe I just read the quote incorrectly).
It was more that Sega corporate closing Sega Racing Studio (and then selling it to Codemasters) left Sega Amusements in the lurch, as Sega Rally 3 hadn't yet been finished. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, as often seems to be the case with Sega.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:05 am

jdanddiet wrote:
soopytwist wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:I did a making of Blood in issue 136. Pay attention, 007 :wink:
Oh man, how did I miss that? Now I feel stupid.
Ha, no worries mate. You got a Horace avatar. You cool.

This is a handy site for checking: http://parkproductions.co.uk/area/magaz ... ogamer.htm
Thanks Jdanddiet, I update it as soon as the mag arrives... mostly :)
Click the RG Folder in my sig for the link.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Two or three good features but overall a lot of stuff i (personally) am not interested in but thats how it goes!

The wipeout feature looks good so far!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:54 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
HEAVYface wrote:I don't buy retrogamer every month, but i'm enjoying this issue greatly, nice to see wipeout feature in the mag with sega rally, although there was a weird quote/sentence in that article made it sound like the devs left Sega racing studio in the lurch to head to Codemasters, when actually everybody was made redundant one day and locked out of the building (or maybe I just read the quote incorrectly).
It was more that Sega corporate closing Sega Racing Studio (and then selling it to Codemasters) left Sega Amusements in the lurch, as Sega Rally 3 hadn't yet been finished. The left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, as often seems to be the case with Sega.
yep that sounds right ;) the amusing thing about the Codemasters sale is a lot of people transferred over to codies just to get a bonus they were owed, which they had to do as part of the deal , and then handed their notice in the day the bonus was paid to them. no one from SRS wanted to work for codies as they had left there because it was awful.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:52 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Who wrote the Ikari piece? Well written, well researched and pretty exhaustive (even including things like the Cheetah twisty-stick). Very done that person!
Martyn Carroll is yer man... says it in the intro to the article :wink: :D

Oh yes! :oops:

Well done Martyn! :D
Another thumbs up for the Ikari article. Love the concept art dotted throughout the piece too.

ThunderScreech

Post by ThunderScreech » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 am

Still havent received my subscriber copy, customer service hasnt replied to my email either. May be the first time for me that it got lost in the mail...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:59 am

ThunderScreech wrote:Still havent received my subscriber copy, customer service hasnt replied to my email either. May be the first time for me that it got lost in the mail...
Give them a call. Presume you've seen this http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =1&t=51831
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ThunderScreech

Post by ThunderScreech » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Thanks, but I've seen that post already.
I've sent them a second email to which they replied instantly. They are offering to extend my subscription by one copy and not send out a replacement. For a collector like me this is not my preferred outcome... Why have an subscription if it does not guarantee to receive all copies :-(

DRS

Post by DRS » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:46 pm

I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about a serious factual error in the current issue of Retro Gamer. In the Eurocom article, David Crookes describes the Derbyshire town of Ripley as 'quaint'.

I grew up in Ripley during the Seventies and Eighties. Let me describe some of the 'quaint' aspects of my home town. The cut through between Kwik Save and Bacons, the discount footwear retailer, was known as 'shag alley' and many a fair maiden of our hamlet was deflowered up against the skips. Our cuisine featured the delicacy 'fish bits', a bag of batter scraped out of the bottom of the deep fat fryer in the Crest of the Wave. If you stood on the market place, there were seventeen pubs in a 500 yard radius and if Mr Crookes had stepped into any one of them and described Ripley as 'pleasingly picturesque', as the dictionary defines 'quaint', he would have been glassed in the neck.

And don't get me started on Heanor.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:20 pm

DRS wrote:I wish to complain in the strongest possible terms about a serious factual error in the current issue of Retro Gamer. In the Eurocom article, David Crookes describes the Derbyshire town of Ripley as 'quaint'.

I grew up in Ripley during the Seventies and Eighties. Let me describe some of the 'quaint' aspects of my home town. The cut through between Kwik Save and Bacons, the discount footwear retailer, was known as 'shag alley' and many a fair maiden of our hamlet was deflowered up against the skips. Our cuisine featured the delicacy 'fish bits', a bag of batter scraped out of the bottom of the deep fat fryer in the Crest of the Wave. If you stood on the market place, there were seventeen pubs in a 500 yard radius and if Mr Crookes had stepped into any one of them and described Ripley as 'pleasingly picturesque', as the dictionary defines 'quaint', he would have been glassed in the neck.

And don't get me started on Heanor.
Maybe David Crookes is a city boy. Their definition of "quaint" usually equates to " there's only one police station".
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:13 pm

So I finished this a week ago. Hm. First thumb-through was not popping the corks and raising the flag. A lot to easily dismiss. Not for my taste mostly. (DID is always a winner ofc.)
Now, I do read it all. And I will point out that you do write well. So even when you're bad, you're good. But this was not like the previous issue.
Let's move on to next issue shall we?

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:02 am

It was interesting to read about E-Type being converted from the BBC to the Atari, E Type was the only real decent arcade racer the BBC ever had, it took ages to be converted and was one of the last commercial BBC games to be released, and it was pretty good too, but nowhere near as good as the Archimedes version but then it couldn't be.

Remember playing Everyones A wally on a friends Speccy, always good fun those games, and also Blue Lightning on the Lynx, a great game, be good to see more Lynx coverage.

And the reason that the Gold Run was not included with Blockbusters was that it was a separate release ! bit of a con really, but that's why it's not there !