From The Forum issue 153 - Rare on the N64

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 153 - Rare on the N64

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:30 am

It's time to share your brainwaves with us once again! This time: Which was your favourite Rare game on the N64? Do you think the Twycross-based team was the best developer on the system?

As usual, a selection of replies will appear in the magazine.

nakamura

Re: From The Forum issue 153 - Rare on the N64

Post by nakamura » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:52 am

My favourite Rare game is Goldeneye, easily. I personally feel that although Rare were good, there were also wildly overrated. Their best games rarely touching the best from Nintendo but they did make a stream of generally good quality products which is nothing to be sniffed at.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 pm

I can't say I've played them all, but I love Diddy Kong Racing. More variety than Mario Kart, a great adventure mode, and the planes and hover craft are fun to race.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 pm

I don't think Rare put a foot wrong on the N64 (except maybe KI Gold), and its games were... the expression usually here is second to none, but obviously Nintendo are here so... second to Nintendo?

Favourite game? Bit like picking a favourite child. Perfect Dark was arguably better than Goldeneye, but the latter got more play probably over the years. One hit kills with pistols never got old, as long as you banned crouching and/or Oddjob :lol:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:58 pm

Easy, Blast Corps. Just tremendous fun and is in my top 10 favourite video games of all time list.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

merman

Post by merman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Has to be Blast Corps. A very original idea, very satisfying to cause destruction on a large scale and a lot of replayability.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:49 am

Man they had some terrific games. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark are masterpieces, the latter didn't get the recognition it deserved due to overhype, but both awesome games.

Jet set Gemini is an overlooked gem :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:14 am

Banjo Kazooie, 0ne of those rare (sorry) N64 games that doesn't suffer from blurry textures.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:08 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Banjo Kazooie, 0ne of those rare (sorry) N64 games that doesn't suffer from blurry textures.
^ This needs to be in the mag for that terrible pun alone :lol:

It's always a clichéd response when it comes to Rare's N64 work but Goldeneye was the game that made me NEED an N64 and bloody hell what a great game it was!
These days I've a new found respect for Diddy Kong Racing as it took the kart racing genre to a new level by actually having a story driven single player mode, I still think the multiplayer side is poor though compared to MK64

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 am

I spent the most time on Goldeneye, but Banjo Kazooie and Jet Force Gemini were so much fun, difficult to choose between them, Rare did not really make a bad game for the N64, and in my opinion, the machine would have floundered without their excellent input.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Tough choice but I guess like many ill plumb for goldeneye. It made the console fps scene take off and was quite simply the best offline co-op game at the time.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

dste

Post by dste » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:15 pm

Toss up between Goldeneye and Blast Corps.

Blast Corps is damn fun and enjoyable with the destruction and all the different vehicles but Goldeneye is great on multiplayer as well as on single player.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:28 am

I have to go with 'Donkey Kong 64'. Spent hours on it during a bout of illness just after it came out. My day consisted of coffee, Marlboro Lights (given up now) and 'Donkey Kong'. Massive fan of 'Banjo-Kazooie' so it was a no brainer that I was going to buy this one upon release. With the range of characters you could, eventually, use and the way that you could see the objects that the other characters could collect before you could actually use them (they were transparent) made you want to get further and further in to the game. My only criticism was that it was a little bit sprawling so you could, if you weren't careful and hadn't played it for a few days, get lost and forget what you were actually supposed to be doing, which would result in lots of endless walking around trying to get back on track.

As much as I tried I just could not see what was so great about 'Goldeneye'. I thought it was good but give me 'Banjo Kazooie' and 'Donkey Kong 64' over that any day. When I got into retro gaming again one of my first tasks was to get the complete set of Rare N64 titles and play the ones I'd missed out on originally. I'd missed out on 'Conker's Bad Fur Day' and 'Banjo Tooie' originally as I'd grown bored with the N64 by the time they were released. Playing them now I don't think they really advanced the genre as much as BK and DK64 did. Once I'd acquired eBay copies of both, 'Banjo Tooie' just didn't grab me and 'Conker's' was just too hard and I got fed up of having to everything THREE times to get any further.

Easily the best developer for the N64.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:44 am

It's Perfect Dark, though I love Goldeneye PD had a more engaging plot, better enemy AI and fantastic weapons. The only thing that lets it down is the multiplayer isn't as much fun.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Goldeneye - put paid to the theory that FPS can only be played effectively with mouse and keyboard.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"