Regular subscribers shafted once again.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

junkmale

Regular subscribers shafted once again.

Post by junkmale » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:31 am

Here we go again.
New subscribers receive a bribe of a free Arcade Bookazine whilst regulars get nothing.
Realise it's a marketing ploy and all that but as ever it's not right and not fair.
I've been subscribing since Issue #2.
Can i have my free Bookazine please?

tapmantwo

Re: Regular subscribers shafted once again.

Post by tapmantwo » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:54 pm

I must admit, I thought the same.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:30 pm

Er... you get the magazine? A loss leader freebie to tempt people in to subscribing is hardly new.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:16 am

Don't subscribers get a pretty good deal anyway ? Sky do the same kinda thing , been with them 20 years now , they don't throw any freebies at us , just raise the price yearly ! new subscribers get 3 months free this n that . :)
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:28 pm

Exactly its common practice for nearly any company. Just like last time he brought this up simply call up, cancel your subscription and start it up again if you want for the sake of a £6 bookazine.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:57 pm

I'm quite happy paying my sub. Have been since IP took over. Keep making quality magazines with quality content and I'm going to stay pretty happy :)

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:22 pm

Yes it's a topic i have highlighted before and it's a topic i will continue to highlight if and when necessary.
And as before i fully realise that it's common practice etc etc.
And once again.....that fact doesn't make it right and doesn't make it fair.
It never will.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:17 pm

I suppose it would be nice on the odd occasion if these companies threw a free something at us... Not so much the likes of RG but the big money guys like Sky and Virgin.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:38 am

When my contract with BT ends they just carry it on. I have to ring up and make out i'm going elsewhere. Then I get a new offer to sign up for another 12 months etc with some special deals

Sky are famously known for offering news deals. Once your contract ends try getting rid of films or sport and they'll offer you some crazy deal to stay or to keep them. Same for car insurance. If you don't ring up to change it or to move they'll just keep you in the same deal without offering you a discount

So not sticking up for RG but most companies act the same. Take 15 minutes of your own time to ring up RG and you could probably re-subscribe and get the bookazine if you really want to

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:40 am

I'd be happy with a reduced subscriber rate same as the main mag. Daft the sub only gives us some of the mags.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:37 pm

I do agree with the OP, but as said it isn't new and a common marketing technique, from Magazine subscriptions to sky TV. Even with popular music CDs or DVDs, with special editions come out a few months later.

I would like to see a few more 'thank you for your loyal custom' things emerge, seems to be a fair question :)

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:06 am

Again, don't agree with the OP, but it is nice to get something sometimes. I really love my Edge 'Lemmings' t-shirt they sent me for no reason other than I had a subscription. The thing that gets my goat is having to pay for a second subscription to get the magazine digitally. With other magazines I subscribe to if you get the print edition, you get the digital edition for free.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:27 am

Again, I think it's something that should be a combo. Subs should be available for Print Only, Digital Only, Print & Digital Combined, and all three of those with an option to include bookazines in print and/or digital format.

Sure, other mags have the digital version 'free', but I guess they have a higher subs cost to begin with to allow for that, or have higher circulation and profit to offset it.

I'm not asking for the earth, I'm just looking to cut out the retailer's slice of the costs by subscribing directly.

Even if it was just an option to enter our subs number as a discount code on the website when direct buying.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:38 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Again, I think it's something that should be a combo. Subs should be available for Print Only, Digital Only, Print & Digital Combined, and all three of those with an option to include bookazines in print and/or digital format.

Sure, other mags have the digital version 'free', but I guess they have a higher subs cost to begin with to allow for that, or have higher circulation and profit to offset it.

I'm not asking for the earth, I'm just looking to cut out the retailer's slice of the costs by subscribing directly.

Even if it was just an option to enter our subs number as a discount code on the website when direct buying.
When Saturday Comes, which is one of the magazines I'm thinking of, has a lower subs cost and a lower circulation. Lower page count and lower quality paper too though. Swings and roundabouts.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:44 am

Speak for yourself - I'm a subscriber, and I think your point is poor. Already as a subscriber, I get the magazine 10 weeks earlier than it arrives in shops where I am, and I also get it $80 cheaper than if I bought all the issues in a year at retail. No shafting going on, just a lot of whinging.