Retro Gamer 151

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

merman

Re: Retro Gamer 151

Post by merman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:35 am

Enjoyed this issue, plenty of variety. Top marks to David Crookes for his Mac article, a lot of detail in there.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:19 am

Anyone have a pic of the cover?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:34 am

Jeremiah Jones wrote:Anyone have a pic of the cover?
https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/magazines ... e-151.html

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Can i just agree with those that have said that the picture captions are often unreadable.
They are too small, and the colour choices of text/background are sometimes appalling.

If I'm honest i often don't even bother trying to read them as i know its a lost cause.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:23 am

Good issue for me. Liked the Scooby Doo feature, 21st Century from the archives and the Ron Gilbert interview. Loved the Neo Geo top 25 and even though I'm not a fan of apple, really enjoyed the article on the macintosh.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:17 am

merman wrote:Enjoyed this issue, plenty of variety. Top marks to David Crookes for his Mac article, a lot of detail in there.
Yes, although one bit of it made me question its accuracy.

To quote Steve Jobs:
It is now 1984. It appears that IBM wants it all. Apple is perceived to be the only hope to offer IBM a run for its money. Dealers, after initially welcoming IBM with open arms, now fear an IBM dominated and controlled future and are turning back to Apple as the only force who can ensure their future freedom.

[...]

IBM wants it all, and is aiming its guns at its last obstacle to industry control, Apple. Will Big Blue dominate the entire computer industry? The entire information age? Was George Orwell right?
source

The Ridley Scott "1984" ad was totally about IBM. It had censored all to do with privacy and computers or whatever crap is in the magazine. Even a tiny amount of research would have uncovered this startling fact.

RG positions itself as a source of knowledge, documenting history. This has been used as an excuse for the (often dry) objective tone in the mag. And when I read something like this, I have to question how authoritative a resource RG is.

wiebow

Post by wiebow » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:35 am

I liked the issue but I do not know why the Mac had to be featured. A product line that has done next to nothing for gaming,at all. I remember playing Lode Runner on it. What a travesty. I really do not understand why this feature was added.

Loved the rest of 151 though.
--
My blog and free remakes for PC: http://devdef.blogspot.nl/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:49 am

wiebow wrote:I liked the issue but I do not know why the Mac had to be featured. A product line that has done next to nothing for gaming,at all. I remember playing Lode Runner on it. What a travesty. I really do not understand why this feature was added.
For the same reasons Virtual Boy and CPC get coverage. They're part of our gaming history. They don't have to change the world, but it can be interesting to read about something different from the norm.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:05 pm

wiebow wrote:I liked the issue but I do not know why the Mac had to be featured. A product line that has done next to nothing for gaming,at all. I remember playing Lode Runner on it. What a travesty. I really do not understand why this feature was added.

I find that a very blinkered view. Without the Mac, Bungie may not have created Marathon, which led to Halo. That's just one example of how important the Mac was to the wider gaming world.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:15 am

Finished well in time for the next one. SF2 still does nothing for me.

But the rest is as good as I think I can ever expect RG to be. Kudos!
(But wasn't there something about number of conversions of one of the games that did not match how many you showed?)

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:22 am

Thats a very weird point of view, as the Mac was the birthplace of Hyper Card as a gaming engine, which massively influenced the World Wide Web, and which the original Myst was written in, one of the biggest selling PC games of all time.

wiebow

Post by wiebow » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:21 am

That's interesting info. If only the article had mentioned that, it would have been more insightful!
--
My blog and free remakes for PC: http://devdef.blogspot.nl/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:15 am

Why would the magazine be only about The well known and popular machines.

There is a whole world of gaming being the popular games and consoles and one that I and many people love to read about.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:56 am

If they featured the Mac in issue 1-20 then fair enough but we're at issue 151 so lesser known systems which maybe arent renowned for gaming compared to the others will get featured now.

As much as i love the more popular systems which have a huge collection of games to play, like i say its issue 151 so we're going to get systems like the Mac and others featuring.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:42 am

Bit late finishing this one, I remember playing Scooby Doo the Speccy but wasn't very good at it. The Hunchback article was interesting, as I didn't realise Superior Software's version was the same one as the Ocean version, they both published Hunchback , but who was first ? seems to be the same game from both publishers too.

I've never used an Apple Mac and probably never will, but surprised at the comments about it being in their, it's an old retro system with old games, so seems logical it would get a mention, I found it much more interesting than articles about X boxes or Mario.

Nice to see JCB Digger getting a mention, it was this game along with Mr EE and Repton when we visited a friends house, that I needed to replace my Acorn Electron with a BBC micro as soon as possible, as it was just so loud , noisy and colourful, where as the Electron wasn't.