Reader feedback wanted

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroMartin

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yes I misread it as let's have features on stuff which aren't games. Wishful thinking on my part :)
On this point without editing my previous post, 'gaming' is a subjective term. Technically youre 'gaming' whilst playing a board game or smashing a pinball table. Why could we not have a small two page spread once in a while on 'other gaming' for game books or board games/pinball tables (especially as a large number of all 3 have roots in a video game franchise anyway!)

Most vid game mags these days have non game related sections, one official playstation mag i picked up a few years ago had a 4 page spread on a bloody mobile phone that sony had made!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:56 pm

How about a one-off or an occasional series on, well not really games-that-weren't, but games that were told, rumoured, or otherwise intended or hinted to be something they did not turn out to be. Or missing follow-ups.
Like Scooby Doo. Elite had some shenanigans going on with Thundercats that was, or wasn't, depending on view. The classic story of Parasol Stars that got lost on the C= 64.
Then you have stuff like International Karate and Last Ninja which supposedly started out with some other developers. I believe Ocean also had a few of those all-nighter projects that were restarted internally. (Total Recall?)
When a game was typically ported to system X / Y / Z, but one of them is suspiciously missing where it should have been, what happened?
And perhaps also take a look at ports that either look like other systems, or do not, where it is surprising. Karnov and Dandy on the C= 64? Some of the CPC ports are way different from their ZX relative (in a good way).

Ok, so it is a games-that-weren't after all, but spin it around stuff that _did_ happen.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:48 am

Just noticed scooby doo is in this month's issue northway.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:32 am

NorthWay wrote:How about a one-off or an occasional series on, well not really games-that-weren't, but games that were told, rumoured, or otherwise intended or hinted to be something they did not turn out to be. Or missing follow-ups.
I think the problem with this is that those stories are already being told to great effect at GamesThat Werent. You'd literally be just re-reading the same stuff and we get enough complaints about reused content. I do like the idea of it, but I'm not sure if you'd get any more insight. I think the work okay as occasional one offs.

Snarko

Post by Snarko » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:37 am

I was expecting a nice top-100 best-arcade-games-ever-list in the "Book of Arcade Classics" -bookazine, why didn't that happen!!! :D So that's a must-idéa for Retro Gamer in 2016! I know it's difficult as hell to compare e.g. OutRun2 to OutRun or RType to DoDonPachi, but let's try!!

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:25 am

I am possibly in a minority here, but I find myself skipping the homebrew pages. If something catches my eye I would read it, but I don't really take the time to look over every game as it really doesn't interest me that much.

I really like the inclusion of Conversion Capers on game features. General port omissions and additions interest me, so I would like to keep these! It would also be nice to see more extensive Minority Report and Unconverted pages.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:02 pm

Snarko wrote:I was expecting a nice top-100 best-arcade-games-ever-list in the "Book of Arcade Classics" -bookazine, why didn't that happen!!! :D So that's a must-idéa for Retro Gamer in 2016! I know it's difficult as hell to compare e.g. OutRun2 to OutRun or RType to DoDonPachi, but let's try!!
Outrun 2? Better than the original.

R-Type? Better than DoDonPachi.

Easy ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 am

Ryan_McN wrote:I am possibly in a minority here, but I find myself skipping the homebrew pages. If something catches my eye I would read it, but I don't really take the time to look over every game as it really doesn't interest me that much.

I really like the inclusion of Conversion Capers on game features. General port omissions and additions interest me, so I would like to keep these! It would also be nice to see more extensive Minority Report and Unconverted pages.
Same here. I read more or less every word in the mag, except homebrew. We're probably in the minority though.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:27 pm

I don't bother with homebrew either.

Conversion capers, battle of the ports etc. I know some people don't like them but I love stuff like this.

when doing articles about the games, don't just fill up the page with text and screenshots. use artwork and show pics of the game boxes etc.

I know this is something other people may not want, but articles showing the history of comics, cartoons, and toys based on videogames.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:18 am

Thought I'd use this thread rather than start a new one for what will be a very nit-picky thing that I wanted to mention...

Love the photography for the hardware etc. but I've noticed a lot of the controllers are absolutely filthy up close! I'm not talking about general wear or sunfade but brown muck in the grooves or recessed manufacturer logos on pads. Looks a bit minging up close to be honest.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.