Reader feedback wanted

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
ianpmarks
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 am

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:22 pm

To be honest I'd like you to listen less to this forum, and make the editorial decisions yourself. I trust your decisions and find the magazine much better when it isn't pandering to and name checking people on this forum. I don't want to read in the magazine what JupiterAce1982 thinks about Balloon Fight, i just want to know what the writer and his actually connected interviewees think.

If that sounds harsh then so be it. I sometimes read the magazine and imagine what somebody who doesn't participate or read the forum must think, because the same old names are mentioned again and again. I think non forumites might feel a bit excluded, or at the very least bemused why so much content in the magazine is tailored to a minority.

User avatar
Nikolai
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by Nikolai » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:32 pm

My favourite articles has always been developer articles, both interviews with devs and the features on the companies. So please, more of that. I also have a soft spot for the back to XXs articles, and I think it's time to start on the 00s. On that note, I love the small boxins in those articles about what happened that month in the world outside video games, and I think it could be an idea to do something on the crossing point between the world at large and our favurite past time. An article or two on how video games were viewed by the outside world in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc. Politics, media, movies & tv and so on.:)

dpg50000
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by dpg50000 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:15 pm

Has there been a history of the MSX range yet? And all those Japanese arcade conversions available for them on cartridge, Gradius, Salamander, etc., etc?

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3306
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:36 pm

It's hard to think of something new as anything I would come up with has probably been somehow covered. Generally speaking RG has a great variety of coverage and there's always something of interest for me. I do want to give some feedback that has been bugging me for a long time. I usually really like the features on single games/consoles/franchise etc. but sometimes there is a bit of 'fluff content' in a boxout (or a dedicated page) that really adds nothing of interest. I've been through the last few issues (haven't got to 150 yet) and here are some examples...

Issue 146 H.E.R.O... Backpack Battlers: Gaming's other backpack powered heroes
Issue 147 Making of Tomb Raider... Endangered Spicies, Mythical or real - Lara will kill it
Issue 148 The Making of Gunblade NY... Empire City Emergencies - list of other games where New York is attacked

These sections just come across a bit naff, irrelevent and really add nothing of any value to the article. I look at this and think, 'Seriously, who cares?.

Examples of good additions to the main arcicle are things like 'Conversion Capers', short interviews, or stuff like in issue 149, Headlines and Deadlines in the Acclaim article or in 150, Tetris in popular culture.

The other thing... list articles (dare I say, listicles?), top 25s etc aren't all that intersting to actually read. There's not enough room to write anything that is new or of real substance. I wonder how many readers actually read this stuff or give a cursory glance at the postion and move on? I suppose there are exceptions, I saw there is a big list feature in issue 150 as it was ten years since the last one; every now and then is ok but not when it feels like every other issue.

Homebrew... I think people either love it or don't care for it at all, I'm in the second camp, skipping straight past it but I get that some people love it and that's fine, some people probably don't like stuff i like.

So to summarise, fewer listicles (urgh) and 'fluff content' please :-)
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
tapmantwo
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:02 am
Location: Ashford, Kent. UK

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:02 pm

I'd like to see more art. The screenshots are often too small (sometimes even hard to make out), so maybe fewer, larger screens, more box art and 'pixel perfect' sections.

Having read the C64 feature, I'd also like to see more discussion on the sound tracks of games, lists of great game tunes and maybe stories behind them. It's sometimes just the music that invokes great memories :)

There is also a whole load of excellent artists/crafters out there making wonderful retro related things - like cave of pixels etc. I'd love to see those things get more publicity somehow or another.

I've mentioned a few times that some 'how to' guides would be good - buyers guides, how to play (and where to buy) import games, maybe even some simple how to fixes for our old hardware (like joysticks) that's struggling these days (and 'hacks' like the composite mods). If you are new to the scene, it's easy to get ripped off (particularly on ebay), so something about that too?

Currently I really enjoy the "making of" features, the developer interviews and the stories of the software houses.

NorthWay
Posts: 1638
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:30 pm

I _still_ think there is space for a bit of pinball.

antsbull
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 6:41 am

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by antsbull » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:29 am

My absolute favorite part of the magazine is the "In the Chair" articles, followed closely by conversion capers and makings ofs. Personally I love the developer stuff in there, particularly when they discuss how they got hardware to do things it wasn't thought capable of.

From a personal perspective I wouldn't mind seeing more coverage of US based developers and games - in New Zealand where I grew up, our market was heavily influenced by the U.S., so the PC and C64 & Amiga were massive over here - would love to see In the Chairs with people like (off the top of my head) Bill Budge, Ken Williams, Jane Jensen, Charles Martinet, the Murry brothers (Evryware)

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6776
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:23 am

ianpmarks wrote:To be honest I'd like you to listen less to this forum, and make the editorial decisions yourself. I trust your decisions and find the magazine much better when it isn't pandering to and name checking people on this forum. I don't want to read in the magazine what JupiterAce1982 thinks about Balloon Fight, i just want to know what the writer and his actually connected interviewees think.

If that sounds harsh then so be it. I sometimes read the magazine and imagine what somebody who doesn't participate or read the forum must think, because the same old names are mentioned again and again. I think non forumites might feel a bit excluded, or at the very least bemused why so much content in the magazine is tailored to a minority.
No one is pandering. Magazines have always included readers. And we can make our own decisions, so don't worry about that.
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6776
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:35 am

dpg50000 wrote:Has there been a history of the MSX range yet? And all those Japanese arcade conversions available for them on cartridge, Gradius, Salamander, etc., etc?
Yes, but a long long time ago.
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6776
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:37 am

NorthWay wrote:I _still_ think there is space for a bit of pinball.
Funnily enough we've already got a buffers guide to pinball games in place. We might even start focusing on classic tables too (just a spread) they go hand in hand with classic arcade games after all. And no, before anyone asks, that doesn't mean we would cover fruit machines too :D
Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6776
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:47 am

RetroBob wrote:It's hard to think of something new as anything I would come up with has probably been somehow covered. Generally speaking RG has a great variety of coverage and there's always something of interest for me. I do want to give some feedback that has been bugging me for a long time. I usually really like the features on single games/consoles/franchise etc. but sometimes there is a bit of 'fluff content' in a boxout (or a dedicated page) that really adds nothing of interest. I've been through the last few issues (haven't got to 150 yet) and here are some examples...

Issue 146 H.E.R.O... Backpack Battlers: Gaming's other backpack powered heroes
Issue 147 Making of Tomb Raider... Endangered Spicies, Mythical or real - Lara will kill it
Issue 148 The Making of Gunblade NY... Empire City Emergencies - list of other games where New York is attacked

These sections just come across a bit naff, irrelevent and really add nothing of any value to the article. I look at this and think, 'Seriously, who cares?.

Examples of good additions to the main arcicle are things like 'Conversion Capers', short interviews, or stuff like in issue 149, Headlines and Deadlines in the Acclaim article or in 150, Tetris in popular culture.

The other thing... list articles (dare I say, listicles?), top 25s etc aren't all that intersting to actually read. There's not enough room to write anything that is new or of real substance. I wonder how many readers actually read this stuff or give a cursory glance at the postion and move on? I suppose there are exceptions, I saw there is a big list feature in issue 150 as it was ten years since the last one; every now and then is ok but not when it feels like every other issue.

Homebrew... I think people either love it or don't care for it at all, I'm in the second camp, skipping straight past it but I get that some people love it and that's fine, some people probably don't like stuff i like.

So to summarise, fewer listicles (urgh) and 'fluff content' please :-)
Lists will always feature because they prove popular with readers. As for the fluff articles, they're just a bit of fun. Retro gamer is a dense read, so it's good to break up the pace a little (another service that lists provide). They're typically connected too, leading to similar games that the reader might want to learn about. Obviously not everyone will like them, though.
Image

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3306
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:33 am

Thanks - just wanted my two cents.

Did the reader feedback panel happen? I recall seeing ads in RG and gTM.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
rossi46
Posts: 4424
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:14 pm
Location: melrose
Contact:

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by rossi46 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:39 am

I'd like to see simple hardware problem solving or preventative maintenance features.

The Dreamcast wd40 trick for when it refuses to read cds comes to mind. Stuff like that.

Or an article about how to get the best possible picture quality out of each respective machine. Which ones put out rgb signals and which don't, etc.
Thoughts and prayers.

User avatar
joefish
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by joefish » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:46 am

rossi46 wrote:I'd like to see simple hardware problem solving or preventative maintenance features.
The Dreamcast wd40 trick for when it refuses to read cds comes to mind. Stuff like that.
Interesting thing about the DC I found is that the bend-the-contacts trick (to stop it resetting whenever it gets warm) that's all over the internet actually tells you to bend them the wrong way! The US PSU board (apparently) has the pin-gripping connector fitted on the opposite way round to the UK / EU PSU board.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15053
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Reader feedback wanted

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:06 pm

RetroBob wrote:It's hard to think of something new as anything I would come up with has probably been somehow covered. Generally speaking RG has a great variety of coverage and there's always something of interest for me. I do want to give some feedback that has been bugging me for a long time. I usually really like the features on single games/consoles/franchise etc. but sometimes there is a bit of 'fluff content' in a boxout (or a dedicated page) that really adds nothing of interest. I've been through the last few issues (haven't got to 150 yet) and here are some examples...

Issue 146 H.E.R.O... Backpack Battlers: Gaming's other backpack powered heroes
Issue 147 Making of Tomb Raider... Endangered Spicies, Mythical or real - Lara will kill it
Issue 148 The Making of Gunblade NY... Empire City Emergencies - list of other games where New York is attacked

These sections just come across a bit naff, irrelevent and really add nothing of any value to the article. I look at this and think, 'Seriously, who cares?.
I agree with the above. Tend to just ignore them and it's a little irritating when these side-bars pop up in most articles.

I would also like to see some more articles from Rev. Stu. Some of what was written in those 'Definitive' guides was hilarious and I would often re-read the articles.

Lastly, how to emulate some of the more obscure systems for those not so clued-up. I'd like to have a look at some of the Japanese computers from the 80's such as the X68000 and so on but there's no way I have the room or cash for the real hardware.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest