From The Forum issue 152 - Mega-CD Memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 152 - Mega-CD Memories

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:36 am

Good morning all - it's time to turn thoughts into words, which might possibly get printed in our lovely magazine!

This time we're looking for your thoughts on the Mega-CD, good or bad. Did you buy one, or were you one of the many who thought it too expensive? Were you enticed by the likes of Thunderhawk, Final Fight and Sonic CD or repulsed by upgraded cartridge games and a parade of FMV releases? Maybe you were a SNES owner laughing at the apparent desperation of it all?

As usual, a selection of responses will end up in the mag.

theantmeister

Re: From The Forum issue 152 - Mega-CD Memories

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:00 am

We had a promotional VHS tape back in the day for the Mega-CD that I watched over and over. I clearly remember it had footage from Sewer Shark, which I thought was amazing. I never bought one though. It was just too expensive. Plus, the 3DO came along not long afterwards and stole a lot of the Mega-CD's FMV thunder.

Of course, I realise now that watching that tape was basically 99% of the fun of the Mega-CD.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:38 pm

I had a love-hate relationship with the Mega-cd.

Having forked out £200 for the mark 2 version, I was disappointed by games such as Road Avenger, Night Trap and Texas Ground Zero (the latter essentially a basic light gun game). However games such as Thunderhawk, Silpheed and The Terminator meant I did actually spend a lot of time on it. I guess it's telling that those three examples are essentially non-fmv games.

The sound and music was the biggest improvement for me coming from a megadrive, but a year after I got a pc and that was that...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Our rich friend bought a Mega CD, at first i was jealous but then after seeing the FMV games he had for it the jealousy stopped straight away. He sold it a month or so later. Sure it might have had a few good games but the ones i saw were average at best

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:11 pm

I was still young when it came out and my cousins had one. As i wasn't a computer/pc gamer the FMVs blew me away and playing Sonic CD as an avid Sonic fan was amazing!
Last edited by RetroMartin on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:58 pm

I remember my wealthy next door neighbour Martin buying one on launch day with Sol Feace and Cobra Command included. We weren't so impressed by the former but thought the latter was amazing. Martin was very careful about what games he bought so avoided all the rubbish FMV stuff and we spent hours playing the brilliant Jaguar XJ220, Final Fight CD and Sensible Soccer in two-player.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:29 pm

I received a MegaCD for Christmas and bought Rebel Assault. It looks primitive now but at the time the FMV and graphical effects blew me away. I still enjoy playing through it today!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:37 am

To be honest, I never seen it as anything more than a glorified video player.

Final Fight and Sonic CD were the only titles that caught my attention.
Last edited by Mancman on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 am

I always thought it looked a bit crappy. Just megadrive games with a cartoon at the start.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:26 pm

As one of the earliest ways to play an almost arcade perfect Final Fight this cool add-on should not be ignored.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

David

Post by David » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:19 pm

Although for someone moaning about it being existing games with bells and whistles, i went and bought a cd32 around the same time, so probably best not to listen to me

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:14 pm

I think Final Fight CD is great... but I don't like the music compared to the originals! Is that odd?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:31 pm

There's a lot of great games on it that I'd like to play. Unfortunately, the Mk1 MCD that I owned was completely dead so I didn't get around to using it. Sold it online as faulty and haven't had another since. The Mk1 Mega Drive + Mk1 MCD is surely the best-looking set-up of all-time though!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:53 pm

I think at the time I'd have been more likely to ask my parents for a Amiga CD32 (I loved my Amiga sooooo much). Luckily I didn't though. Strange to think that only a few years later the PSX came out and changed it all really.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:21 am

As soon as I saw the intro and the special stages to Sonic CD I knew I wanted one for this game alone but even then as a 8 year old I didn't understand why it couldn't be on my awesome Mega Drive (with the removal of the videos of course) as It looked just like a regular MD game

I never did own a Mega CD but I would still like one if someone would like to donate me one :wink: :lol: