Retro Gamer 150 - Your Greatest Games Ever!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Retro Gamer 150 - Your Greatest Games Ever!

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:21 am

gman72 wrote:People moaning about the lack of 8bit games in the list need to get a grip.
There is a lot more to retro than just 8bit despite what some of you old curmudgeons seem to think.
Readership focus is clearly on the shift and I am pleased that our esteemed editor and staff are in tune with this.
Dont think anyones upset or need to get a 'grip', its a list, people will never agree with lists so it'll always lead to discussion. My issue wasnt the lack of 8 bit games, more to do with the fact of 2 year old modern games appearing in a list of best games in Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 am

Particularly when those games don't fall within the mag's own definition of retro.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Particularly when those games don't fall within the mag's own definition of retro.
We asked readers for the greatest games of all time. It was obvious that great new games would be included. But it was equally obvious that they would be in the minority, which they are.
The same thing happened 11 years ago.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:28 pm

psj3809 wrote:
gman72 wrote:People moaning about the lack of 8bit games in the list need to get a grip.
There is a lot more to retro than just 8bit despite what some of you old curmudgeons seem to think.
Readership focus is clearly on the shift and I am pleased that our esteemed editor and staff are in tune with this.
Dont think anyones upset or need to get a 'grip', its a list, people will never agree with lists so it'll always lead to discussion. My issue wasnt the lack of 8 bit games, more to do with the fact of 2 year old modern games appearing in a list of best games in Retro Gamer
It's the greatest games of all time. You can't exclude something which is amazing just because it was just released.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:50 pm

tapmantwo wrote:One other thing - could you publish (online or in print) the last chart that was run all those years ago? It would be great to review the changes at a holistic level, rather than just seeing those that have moved. I'd be keen to see if more of my favourite C64 games made it first time round.
I've posted this on the site's front page now!

(Good lord, look at Halo and GTA Vice City sitting pretty in the top 20…)

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:34 pm

NickThorpe wrote: I've posted this on the site's front page now!

Thanks Nick, very useful. The list is so very different this time round isn't it?? Good old Mario World doing the business though back in 2004 as well as in the modern day version.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:46 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
tapmantwo wrote:One other thing - could you publish (online or in print) the last chart that was run all those years ago? It would be great to review the changes at a holistic level, rather than just seeing those that have moved. I'd be keen to see if more of my favourite C64 games made it first time round.

Cheers for that, I must be getting old as that is a far, far better list in my opinion. Astounded to see how much the like of Space Invaders has fallen down the pecking order.

The youth of today, eh!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:48 pm

^Here here. Like you say thats a far better list ;)

(Cant believe that last list was over 10 years ago, remember that one well)

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Agreed, much better list.
Still, opinions and all that stuff.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:34 pm

Way better list because it's much more discerning. The current list is more "favourite" games ever than "greatest" gamers ever. There's a difference.
But as ever, it's opinion.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:37 pm

I much prefer the old list... but then I would I suppose, much more 8-bit goodness.
To be honest I don't really care much about either list. It made for a very boring article that took up half the magazine.

I do get fed up with people telling me people can't moan about things on here though. Why can't I? Why does me saying I don't like a list bother people so much? Perhaps people who get so worked up over other people's moans should 'get a grip'. At my age there's not much left other than moaning.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:56 pm

NickThorpe wrote:

Brilliant, thank you :D

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:02 pm

I prefer the new list to the one in 2004. It seems to have more 16 bit goodness in it, which is the era that I was really enjoying my games.

Both have classic games, and thats the great thing about this industry is that there are far far more than 100 or 150 great games.

Silanda

Post by Silanda » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:57 pm

I'll be honest, I wasn't terribly enamoured with this issue of the mag. I find "Greatest Whatever" lists to be boring as hell, and this one took up half of the magazine. The rest of the issue was decent but if I didn't subscribe I think I would have left it on the shelf.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:24 pm

The Beans wrote:Way better list because it's much more discerning. The current list is more "favourite" games ever than "greatest" gamers ever. There's a difference.
But as ever, it's opinion.
Favourite and greatest ever are pretty easy to distinguish from each other.