Retro Gamer 150 - Your Greatest Games Ever!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Hiro

Re: Retro Gamer 150 - Your Greatest Games Ever!

Post by Hiro » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm halfway through the mag and after several months of "meh", this looks like a very good issue!

The top 150 games list is a great read, way too much Mario and Link for my taste but still a very interesting article that deserved the number of pages it was given.

Good Making of on the C64 too, the king of 8-bit deserves more space! Only two flaws in the article:
1) Jeroen Tel totally deserved to be in the list of SID maestros
2) the photo has a mistake, the arrow that should be pointing to the CPU actually points to the PLA and not to the 6510

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Hiro wrote:I'm halfway through the mag and after several months of "meh", this looks like a very good issue!

The top 150 games list is a great read, way too much Mario and Link for my taste but still a very interesting article that deserved the number of pages it was given.
Blame us cos 'we' all voted for it...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:32 pm

RichL wrote:
Hiro wrote:I'm halfway through the mag and after several months of "meh", this looks like a very good issue!

Blame us cos 'we' all voted for it...
:lol: It's such a fair point...can't blame the mag or editorial for what the masses voted for! :) Lists are always subjective though, and always fun to discuss what should have made it.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:34 pm

I wasn't blaming anyone actually: I stated I greatly liked the article despite several games at the top of the list not being my cup of tea.

It always ends in dark

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:52 pm

Hiro wrote:I wasn't blaming anyone actually: I stated I greatly liked the article despite several games at the top of the list not being my cup of tea.
It's all good mate, was only kidding around! :) Yeah, lists are fun but it's highly unlikely any individual would agree 100% with one made up from votes over many individual gamers with individual favourites. Which is of course what makes them fun and good discussion points :)

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:44 am

Hiro wrote:I wasn't blaming anyone actually: I stated I greatly liked the article despite several games at the top of the list not being my cup of tea.
I didn't say you were, its a figure of speech.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:45 pm

LAIS wrote: One thing that threw me a bit was the mag saying (about Sonic 3 & Knuckles) that 'the exploration element of Sonic & Knuckles was explored further in later games like Sonic CD' - I was always under the impression that S&K was the final 2D Sonic until the GBA games.

Was Sonic CD developed after S&K but released before? What's the actual time line of these titles?
The magazine's wrong (again) - Sonic CD was out in 1993, Sonic & Knuckles was out in 1994... And before Sonic Advance, there was Sonic Pocket Adventure on the Neo Geo Pocket Color :D

Let's see... 23 of my own personal top 150 are in this list, and three of my top ten. Nice to see Alex Kidd in there, and it was all voted for so I've got no argument against the list itself. Could've made things more interesting though - with most of the games in the list being so obvious, how about a feature on the ones ranked 151-300? I can't resist a big long list, so that's why I bought the magazine for the first time in almost a year with this issue - and almost immediately got reminded of why I stopped buying it in the first place.

The same games over and over and over (how many times do we need the history of Nintendo or the making of Jet Set Willy?), "playing it safe" and so on; a complete lack of identity by just stating the facts and not offering any opinions (bring back Rev. Stu Campbell!); revisionist history ("yes, we ALL grew up with Mario!"); ugly and confusing layouts; terrible subbing (the amount of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in this issue, wow...); and plain wrong information (that Sonic stuff above for example)...

Congratulations and all that, getting a niche magazine to its 150th issue is especially impressive in this day and age, but this is definitely my last issue this time (or until the Top 200 Games feature fifty months from now, probably).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:51 pm

We've never done a history of Nintendo, we've never spoken to the creators of the c64, we've never run a making of jet set willy, we've never featured a making of resident evil 4 and so on. You must be reading another retro magazine I'm afraid. I'll give you the sonic mistake. Sorry about that.
I don't mind being pulled up on mistakes, but accusing us of doing things we don't is a bit off.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:47 pm

Finished the issue and for me it's the best one in a while.

I just found the Nintendo article a bit too long compared to other articles, I'd gladly have read more about Yu Suzuki or the C64 for example, but it's very subjective alright.
Errors in the C64 article aside ( :P ), really good content overall, even if I hope to see Minority Report, The Unconverted and most of all Lost in Translation back sometime soon. And please don't bring Stu Campbell back, spare us :mrgreen:

Great issue, I don't expect much from the next judging by the preview, but who knows, maybe it will turn out better than expected!

It always ends in dark

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:16 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:The magazine's wrong (again) - Sonic CD was out in 1993, Sonic & Knuckles was out in 1994... And before Sonic Advance, there was Sonic Pocket Adventure on the Neo Geo Pocket Color :D
And before Sonic Pocket Adventure, there was Sonic on the Game.com handheld... that was the first Sonic title on a non-Sega piece of hardware.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:16 am

Just finished this issue, and I counted that I own (or have owned) 24 of the top 150 games, the highest placing was Tetris (that was on the BBC Micro , not Gameboy never played that version) and lowest was Chuckie Egg.

Quite a few of my PS1 favourites appear in there , and Resident Evil Gamecube deserves to be a lot higher I think the best remake i've ever played, the making of's were also interesting, especially Jet Set Willy, my all time favourite game, this was definitely new stuff to read about, never tire of reading about it, and the Dragon conversion on the Archimedes could be completed, I played the C16 version a lot and it was such a disappointment, there was no Maria, no toilet, no rooms and you couldn't finish it.

Resident Evil 4 is another favourite , so always interesting to read about it, never played past RE 4 as RE5 never appeared on the wii, so had to make do with the chronicles series.

Would of been nice to see more older games in the top 150, but it the catchment area is all games ever released then you have to include new games even though i've no interest in them, maybe it should be split up, best 8 bit games, best 16 bit games etc instead - just a thought.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:55 am

Superb issue - I thought a top 150 list would be kind of 'meh' and going through the motions a bit, but the way its been implemented is lovely - the art/layout of the top-150 is great, and the people interviewed about the games is wonderful - i love that you've included guys like Steve Sanders and Jon Stoodley amongst the Romero's, Braybooks, Gilbert's etc. Just looking through this list has made me want to play quite a few of these games that I haven't tried before.

Personally, I would've loved to see some more adventure representation - Zork, Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, Quest for Glory etc, and also Last Ninja and IKARI Warriors - but overall I can't really complain, as its a pretty well covered list. I'm a big Nintendo fan so am pretty happy with their rankings, and its a bit of a testament to how good their games are. Is this a reflection that the reader base is not as UK centric as it has been historically?

And in response to the guys who feel the need to point out that they are never buying another issue again, I'm hoping for another 150 issues, love this magazine!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:05 am

antsbull wrote:Personally, I would've loved to see some more adventure representation - Zork, Gabriel Knight, Broken Sword, Quest for Glory etc, and also Last Ninja and IKARI Warriors - but overall I can't really complain, as its a pretty well covered list.
Yeah, not a single Sierra game in the top 150 IIRC. Lucasarts did pretty well though.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:43 pm

A nice issue.:) I missed the regular articles, but it's only natural they had to go with such a massive celebratory feature, and it was a blast to read.:)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:29 pm

What a great issue, really enjoyed going through the Top 150 article, it as really nicely done.

I did notice on page 57 it says that the last cumulative total sales for the Tetris series is 170 million and then in the Alexey Pajitnov article it says there have been 450 million paid mobile phone downloads - the article also continually refers to 'Hank' Rogers instead of Henk!
Xbox Live: RetroBob