Retro Gamer 150 - Your Greatest Games Ever!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer 150 - Your Greatest Games Ever!

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:27 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
The Beans wrote:Way better list because it's much more discerning. The current list is more "favourite" games ever than "greatest" gamers ever. There's a difference.
But as ever, it's opinion.
Favourite and greatest ever are pretty easy to distinguish from each other.
Looking at the previous list of 39 games that didn't make it, I think there's only about 10 that should have made this one too. In my opinion of course. Still, this list has done what all lists tend to do :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:30 pm

the_hawk wrote:
NickThorpe wrote:
tapmantwo wrote:One other thing - could you publish (online or in print) the last chart that was run all those years ago? It would be great to review the changes at a holistic level, rather than just seeing those that have moved. I'd be keen to see if more of my favourite C64 games made it first time round.
I've posted this on the site's front page now!

(Good lord, look at Halo and GTA Vice City sitting pretty in the top 20…)
Cheers for that, I must be getting old as that is a far, far better list in my opinion. Astounded to see how much the like of Space Invaders has fallen down the pecking order.

The youth of today, eh!
personally I would play space invaders extreme, space invaders infinity gene and space invaders 97 over space invaders any day of the week and I'm 43.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:32 pm

PostieDoc wrote:Agreed, much better list.
Still, opinions and all that stuff.
I guess it's a better list if you love 8-bit home computer stuff as it dominates it. I just love the fact that over half the original list still made it a decade on. It just proves in the eyes of many that a great game is always a great game.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:33 pm

No point in complaining IMO. I could probably name half the games on that list I am not a big fan of and easily replace them. I think we are all in the same boat. That's what happens when there are so many people with different tastes.

We could all name several games we think should not be on there, but at the same time the people who voted for them are probably looking at games you did vote for and thinking why are they on there.

I can't believe some of the games on the list, and some of the games that are not on there, but that's the point, its not my list, its a everyones and when you have 150 entries from thousands of possible games you are always likely to have a lot of stuff you don't personally rate.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:17 am

Looking through that list REALLY makes me appreciate how many great games there are out there and best of all most of us have lived through the video game era. From the late 70's, 80's with the 8 bits, ST/Amiga/PC in the 90's and the main consoles, handhelds, to what we have now. I think many of us can appreciate so many games through those years

Same with the internet, when i hear a nephew moaning about slow internet i start preaching on about back in the day i had a 28.8k modem, that meant...

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:23 am

At the risk of coming over as a monumental bellend, comparing the lists from 2004 and this one in 2015 reminded me of historian EH Carr's observation that written history is what the present finds interesting in the past. As I read down the current list and saw both Robotron and Defender as 'new entries', I thought, what, that can't be right!?! But it is - neither game was in that original list back in issue 8, even though both games were, you know, proper retro when those votes came in.

Then we have a decade which has seen the rise of twin-stick shooters via the 360 and other modern consoles and loads of simple, twitch gaming on phones, and thus it's perhaps not surprising that Eugene Jarvis and Larry DeMar's fine pair are duly voted for.

I'd add that Retro Gamer itself probably has an influence too as we've banged on about how great Robotron and Defender are on a regular basis (which they are - this isn't a conspiracy!)and I'd be surprised if any regular reader would be unaware of them. A similar argument could be made for Strider's inclusion this time round ;]

As for these 'greatest games' lists, they have a place I reckon and this one has lots of extra bits, quips, quotes and mini-interviews - excellent for bog reading which is where I do most of mine. Sorry.

Let's do it again for RG issue 250 and see what's changed!

PS. If any one's interested, Carr, E.H. (1961) What is History? Cambridge: Cambridge University Press is a short and entertaining read, still relevant all these years later. His opening demolition of the concept of unquestionable historical 'facts' by pointing out 'Battle of Hastings 1066' has in it two errors and one huge assumption is great ammunition if you want to be a monumental bellend like me.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:54 am

Bellend :P :wink:

Interesting point though, especially regarding Robotron and the influence of things like Galaxy Wars (and the same for Defender and Resogun).

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:31 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Maybe less old people are interested in retro nowadays? After all how long can you still like playing old games?
How old is Chess? :)

Late to this thread and to the voting it seems. Life got in the way again!

Enjoyed the feature though. I was also surprised to see that many games I would have thought would have been in the list the first time 'round are actually only in it this time (even Robotron?!). Would be interesting to see the original list sometime. I also agree that it would have been nicer to be a more retro list, too many very modern games in there but then I guess you go back to the old debate about what's retro...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:01 am

kelp7 wrote:I also agree that it would have been nicer to be a more retro list, too many very modern games in there but then I guess you go back to the old debate about what's retro...
To be fair that's a completely different argument and one that no single person can ever win.

We didn't ask what the greatest retro games of all time were for several reasons. A) because we knew it would confuse readers and b) Because we wanted to know what the greatest games of all time are. We knew that the readership would dictate that the majority of games would be 32-bit and earlier but we were keen to see what current games were deemed to be future classics as it were. Yes we're a retro magazine but we're still aware of the present. Imagine if we did a history of Batman and neglected the completely mention the new batman games just because they were new. You simply can't do that. Anyway, it's all in the beginning of the feature. You don't need to agree of course, but it clearly sets up what was to come in the article :)

Also Chess is mechanically sound as it's never changed. Space Invaders and Pac-Man? Well that's a different story completely.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:21 am

This did bother me intially. Then I thought 'if GamesTM and other mags can have the odd retro game featured, then its fair enough if RG features the odd new one'.

I'd rather it was a retro list though.

Chess has changed quite a bit over the years btw
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:29 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:This did bother me intially. Then I thought 'if GamesTM and other mags can have the odd retro game featured, then its fair enough if RG features the odd new one'.

I'd rather it was a retro list though.

Chess has changed quite a bit over the years btw
That's some interesting stuff on chess. It doesn't really seem to have changed in our generation though, which is the point I was poorly making, where Pac-Man and Space Invaders clearly have.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:42 am

What about BATTLE CHESS? :wink:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:43 am

Is that the future of videogames? Will there be a single shmup like chess?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 am

the_hawk wrote:What about BATTLE CHESS? :wink:
And Star Wars Chess!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:54 am

All of which reminds me...has Archon been featured in the mag recently? Would love to read a feature on that. :D

EDIT: Just checked, it's issue 40, will dig that out later.

Apologies for the tangent. As you were, Issue 150 feedback, carry on. :D
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue