Retro Gamer issue 149

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer issue 149

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:21 pm

It's the greatest games of all time. So as with the original poll from 11 years ago a few modern games have made the list.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:34 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We were considering 150 covers to represent the chosen games, but thought riots would start if readers saw The Last Of Us on the cover :)
Ha brilliant! Can you could imagine the uproar with a Last of Us cover and having to collect all 150 alternate covers - Pokemon all over again! For the same effect just stick a CPC on the cover!! :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:29 am

Eric wrote:having to collect all 150 alternate covers - Pokemon all over again!
There have been alternate covers in the past. Funny you mention Pokemon, as a subscriber I was lumbered with a crappy Pokemon cover that time instead of one of the good ones :(
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:38 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Eric wrote:having to collect all 150 alternate covers - Pokemon all over again!
There have been alternate covers in the past. Funny you mention Pokemon, as a subscriber I was lumbered with a crappy Pokemon cover that time instead of one of the good ones :(
Issue 135. I wasn't a subscriber at the time so I just picked the green one from WH Smiths (no idea the name of the pokemon) but I would have bought the Pikachua one since he's the main character but this was a subscriber only - It was chaos I tell you!! ;)

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:26 am

I assume all subscribers have their copies? Not got issue 149 yet :(

Seems strange its happened a second time, in 3 months. Been a subscriber since about issue 30! not had any problems at all until recently. I bet my postie is a retro gaming enthusiast :o

GamesTM subscription hasn't missed a beat, which makes it even more odd.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:43 am

Yes, everyone should have had their issues by now - drop our subs manager an email on subscriptions@imagine-publishing.co.uk with your subscription details and the issues missed, and the problem will be corrected.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:22 am

Had a chance to read this now, a good issue, enjoyed many of the articles.

As for the GameCube Minority Report, many of those listed I would agree with, especially Lost Kingdoms. Lost a LOT of time playing that game! Just a pity the sequel wasn't quite as good. Surprised to see Chibi Robo listed, not because it isn't a good game (I loved it), but it's a Nintendo own title. Sadly I don't rate Odama or Tube Slider at all, sorry! I would probably have had Sega Soccer Slam, Mystic Heroes (like a chibi version of Dynasty Warriors), Baten Kaitos, Cubivore, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, or Metal Arms in there.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:33 am

Finished reading this issue now, the Star Wars games features were the highlights, that sit-in arcade game of the original Star Wars was brilliant, especially when the Deathstar blew up, you just can't recreate that on emulation, shame the game can only be got in the original form as a Game cube hidden extra, should of been a PS 2 collection or something years ago. I played the BBC version to death, personally never found the sound that annoying, it wasn't great but the Electron was a lot worse and that X wing firing noise did get annoying.

Nice to see a bit more Atari Lynx stuff, hope to see more features on it at some point including top 25 lynx games. I knew I knew the name Acclaim from something and then when South Park was mentioned the penny dropped, I had the 3 South Park games on my Playstation, the first one was excellent, South Park Rally was not that bad, we played it loads, was great fun, and would rather give that a spin any day over Mario Kart, but have to agree that Chefs Luv Shack was a 5 minute wonder and nothing you'd return to much after about a week.

History of 'The Games' was interesting too, only ever played California Games on the Lynx, and it was excellent, never played Saboteur, but remember it well, and lots of talk about back in the day at school, shame there was never a BBC version I did hope Durrell would convert it they didn't.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:06 am

Absolutely loved the Saboteur article, classic game, interesting anecdotes from the programmer & overall a really good read. This is exactly the sort of article I buy Retro Gamer for.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:54 am

I don't have the magazine here with me so can someone help with the name of the game that was reviewed on page 102 (I think) which was described as a Baldur's Gate like?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 am

It's divinity original sin. Described as a cross between Baldur's Gate and Diablo.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:30 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's divinity original sin. Described as a cross between Baldur's Gate and Diablo.
Thanks. But no thanks. Turn-based ...turns me off (kaching! I'll be here all week yes, how did you know?).
Looked lovely and could have been a real successor to the PS2 Baldur's Gate games.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:41 pm

Read it all now. Solid. The exception to the rule for this grumpy old bastard is ofc Half-Life which doesn't give me one iota of retro tingle. The PS2 port was doubly bad - it crashed and it made me motion sick.
And I don't think I would have used white for the top of the front, it looked a bit out of place with the rest I thought.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:55 am

Really good issue, enjoyed it greatly.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:07 pm

Weird comment this, I never usually post this kind of thing because it's picky but there were two weird incorrect uses of English in the Acclaim article.

"Jimmy and I put in 250,000 dollars but we had no outside investment." At the last hour an investor was found

Later on a paragraph starts with "Meantime in the UK". Presumably this should have been "Meanwhile"?

The article itself was really interesting, this just stuck out as being a bit sloppy.
Xbox Live: RetroBob