From The Forum issue 149 - Controversies

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

uglifruit

Re: From The Forum issue 149 - Controversies

Post by uglifruit » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:49 pm

Crash Magazine's Issue 19 spoof of Sinclair User (Unclear User) meaning a recall, and removal of the pages. This followed Crash's Barbarian themed cover of issue 18 which was a bit saucy, and caused middle England to get a bit hot under the collar (and was slightly embarrassing to purchase in the local newsagent).

Those Battlecruiser 3000AD adverts that featured Jo Guest (with the "she really wants it" tag)- that had to be amended to have undies on it.

US Gold's "World Cup Carnival" (ZX Spectrum, 1986) being an blatant thinly veiled reskin of Artic's "World Cup Soccer" (1984).

My favourite (non-controversy) was the 2008 Daily Mail fueled "Mother's fury over Nintendo Scrabble game that taught her son a string of vile swear words"... I.e. Scrabble has a dictionary full of words, some of which are potentially offensive.
...you been goofin' with the bees?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:[
Shinobi wrote:Maybe you could do an article on Thrill Kill or Rule of Rose both banned games.. Tattoo Assassins would be another
None of those were banned. Two were cancelled before release, while Rule of Rose was released in several regions including Europe.
Rule of Rose was withdrawn from sale across Europe (with the exception of France and Italy). http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rule-o ... 0-6162306/ "Following discussions with our retail and publishing partners, 505 Games has taken the decision not to publish Rule of Rose in the UK [and most European countries] at this time."

I own a French Pal version of 'Rule of Rose' which I bought from a Woman in France cost me £30 new goes for silly money now.. I finished it and it was incredibly controversial.. Burying a fat kid alive in a coffin, animal cruelty, bullying, and a pedophile headmaster who's attack is to bum Jennifer..

I'm sure Thrill Kill was banned as I remember OPM Magazine complained about the Doctor character who stabbed people and twisted the knife as he was stabbing them..

Maybe Tattoo Assassins and Thrill Kill where canceled for not being very good and using violence to sell they not games I'm very familiar with.. I played beta versions off both game.. I'd rather RG do Article on Tattoo Assassins, rather then the obvious Splatterhouse, Mortal Kombat and Grand Chav Auto
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:43 am

Still, Rule of Rose was not banned. There was a media shitstorm about it, where they got the content wrong. Some of the retailers reacted to this misinformation and suggested they didnt want to sell it. The publisher decided it now wasn't wort risking the expenditure and pulled it back.

That's very different from a legal banning imposed by government.

Thrill Kill wasn't banned. EA bought the publisher and decided they didn't want to release it even though it was near complete. With the game cancelled, one of the devs leaked the code and its this we get to play. The engine was repurposed for the Wu Tang Clan game.

Tattoo Assassins was only ever prototyped. Some of these protos were tested in the field, but obviously didn't do well and full release was cancelled, because its a terrible game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:58 am

uglifruit wrote:Crash Magazine's Issue 19 spoof of Sinclair User (Unclear User) meaning a recall, and removal of the pages. This followed Crash's Barbarian themed cover of issue 18 which was a bit saucy, and caused middle England to get a bit hot under the collar (and was slightly embarrassing to purchase in the local newsagent).

Those Battlecruiser 3000AD adverts that featured Jo Guest (with the "she really wants it" tag)- that had to be amended to have undies on it.

US Gold's "World Cup Carnival" (ZX Spectrum, 1986) being an blatant thinly veiled reskin of Artic's "World Cup Soccer" (1984).

My favourite (non-controversy) was the 2008 Daily Mail fueled "Mother's fury over Nintendo Scrabble game that taught her son a string of vile swear words"... I.e. Scrabble has a dictionary full of words, some of which are potentially offensive.
Looking back, bizarre that a parody/pastiche of Sinclair User was stopped legally.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:00 am

psj3809 wrote:Been covered before i think but some of the reviews magazines had. The infamous Zoids review by Crash, i loved Crash back then but that review really let me down, even as a kid i thought something strange was up. Had a great score and the game was dire]

I mean they were quite honest giving their own game featured in that competition (Kat Trap) an okayish score (Would have looked very suss if that had a Crash Smash) but Zoids ?
Zoids did well across the board though Paul , 96% ( if i remember ) from crash is high though , you sure its not just you with a one man personal vendetta :lol:
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Barbarian game front cover, though it was only aping the style at the time.
Obviously Manhunt for its sadistic nature. There was also a lot of fuss over the style of Wind Waker for whatever reason!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:07 am

Mass Effect 3 ending, internet rage on an epic scale

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:28 am

Jack Thompson's repeated frivolous court cases against videogames that resulted in him being disbarred. That he wasn't disbarred sooner is the biggest controversy imo.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

forestville

Post by forestville » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Grand theft auto 3 on the ps2. With its 3D graphics showing all that violence and other stuff aswell, After it was in release in Australia, the game was banned for a short period, and a censored version of gta3 was released in its place.
Press play on tape

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:53 am

Sadly the only ones that stick to me are the night trap and mortal kombat ones specifically as that was my era of gaming as a very young child! I didn't even know games didn't have age ratings before that!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:15 pm

The one that springs to mind was when Superior Software converted Barbarian (and Barbarian 2) to the BBC/Electron, Acorn User magazine slapped a pathetic box across the middle of the Barbarian advert and for the sequel drew a yellow dress on Maria Whittaker ! None of the other Acorn magazines were fussed but I distinctly remember a letter in Electron User from someone who found it embarrassing to take the magazine to school because of the back cover advert, was never a problem at my school everyone wanted a look !!

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Steve davis what was all that about?
SH1T HAPPENS :wink: