Retro Gamer Issue 147 - Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

necronom

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 147 - Feedback

Post by necronom » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:27 am

It sounds like all the subs have been delivered. I've had mine for several days now.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:54 am

Cheers, thought that might be the case will contact the subs manager.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:13 am

merman wrote:With regards to the Mario article...

My personal view is this.
It looked very stylish on the page.
The developer input made it more than just a list.
And as has been pointed out, there has not been a big Mario feature in 5 years.
It was nicely presented.
The developer input was minimal though. They all could have been put on one page.
If it was "a big Mario feature" then there would be no complaints from me.
If the info is interesting and/or entertaining it doesn't usually matter whether the subject is something I'd normally be interested in. I'd still read it.
But it was neither.
It was just a list.

For folk who haven't played any/all of the featured games then, yes, it was probably quite interesting for them.

Also (some think this is picky I know but) the spelling mistakes?
Does nobody use a spell checker? :oops:
Last edited by stvd on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:14 am

To be fair, all our list features are just lists with developer input.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:48 pm

Mario feature was fine. Well presented and the developer input was great. Maybe the content was spread over too many pages and could have been fitted in to half the page count. I would have liked the likes of the Vortex and Friday 13th articles to have been give the extra pages. Desert Islands Disks and the HES were the highlights as well has the Intertron feature. With Tomb Raider, MKII and Splatterhouse the rest of the mag was really strong.

On the Retro Revival page (Kick Off 2) can we drop the overly large GYL graphic from the top-left of the page?

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Just finished the issue, definitely one of the worst so far. The Mario special is too long and most of all there is a staggering amount of Nintendo. I get the importance of the character and of the 30 years but I hope there won't be a comeback of the excess of N, the Nintendo coverage this month is almost unbearable.

Overall the best bits were Interton VC 4000 (a machine I knew literally zero about!) article, the Tomb Raider making of and the interview with Patricia Curtis, colourful and interesting.

Looking forward to next month. But pleeeeeeease, less Nintendo.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:04 pm

Just got hold of a copy of this issue.
It's quite a poor issue in my opinion.

Good:-
The Interton Article, Tomb Raider, Friday 13th, Gameboy Minority Report - all great, well written and interesting.

OK
Vortex, Desert Island Disks, not my type of games or systems, but pretty interesting articles.

Bad:-
The Mario article is ridiculously long, and not worth the (cheap) paper it is printed on - 22 pages and I learnt nothing,not because I knew it already, but because there was nothing to learn in it. If there was something new to add then I'd love a Mario article, this read more like some self published/kickstarted Fanzine from an internet fanboy. All glossy pictures and no facts. Sorry it's a bit harsh, but its how I feel.
I'm tired of the company profiles now... they all read the same. I've never even heard of Human Engineered Software, let alone want to know all their boring business minutae. I get it, you've exhausted all the famous companies, but please rest this section for a while. It's really dull.
Splatterhouse I'm sure has been done before, but it might have been GamesTM
Can I also say the 2 page thingys that have sprung up like Hardware Heaven are also silly. Two pages (well one really, because one is just a photo) on the Amiga or the Intellivoice is pointless. The articles have either been done before in a longer form, or in the case of the intellivoice could justify more input... I'd rather read 4 pages on the Intellivoice and cut the Mario article down to size.

Sorry to be so negative, but it really wasn't the best issue for me.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Oh no, you don't! HES was the best part of this issue (still not read it all, but I have glanced over all). I still have my HES original box of Gridrunner.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:31 am

NorthWay wrote:Oh no, you don't! HES was the best part of this issue (still not read it all, but I have glanced over all). I still have my HES original box of Gridrunner.
Indeed! The company profiles and similar things, like programmer interviews are the whole point of the mag for me. There wasn't a whole lot aimed at me this issue, so that was one of the highlights.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:19 am

ianpmarks wrote: Splatterhouse I'm sure has been done before, but it might have been GamesTM
Having looked back at our past issues this is the first major Splatterhouse feature we've done, so I'd guess it might well have been GamesTM.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 am

NorthWay wrote:Oh no, you don't! HES was the best part of this issue (still not read it all, but I have glanced over all). I still have my HES original box of Gridrunner.
It was a decent read, and I've wanted to find out a bit more about the company because, as you say, they published Commodore cartridges especially heh. Tied in with something I'm doing currently...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:59 am

necronom wrote:
Indeed! The company profiles and similar things, like programmer interviews are the whole point of the mag for me. There wasn't a whole lot aimed at me this issue, so that was one of the highlights.
I normally don't like From the Archives, but at least the HES article was about the developers for a change. Jay Balakrishnan clearly appreciated what he had in Minter, et al. Which is great to see. It is still the least interesting feature in the mag though.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:51 pm

I generally love From the Archives - but HES - though a company I liked - didn't really have a very compelling story: Guy wants to start company. Guy starts company. The article read like the product a short telephone interview. But I look forward to the next From the Archives.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

David

Post by David » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:17 pm

you have to sort out the paper this is printed on or reduce the price. it's like recycled toilet roll.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:58 am

Done and dusted. Felt like a Mario OD just because of some new game coming out.
Did not push a lot of buttons for me. Hoping for next month to up the game.