Retro Gamer Issue 147 - Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MagoPunk

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 147 - Feedback

Post by MagoPunk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:17 am

Hi! It's my first time here. I would like to buy some issues of RetroGamer magazine but I'm having some troubles to find them at newspapers shops or video game stores. I will be in Dundee by now. I prefer buying at the shop than ordering online because I haven't got a permanent adress at the moment. Can anybody help me to find a shop where I could buy issue 147 or older issues in Dundee. Thank you very much.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:56 am

Shops will only be stocking the latest issue in general, if they don't sell all the copies of a previous issue, they tend to get retained back to the wholesaler. Looking in WH Smiths is probably your best bet.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:23 pm

MagoPunk wrote:Hi! It's my first time here. I would like to buy some issues of RetroGamer magazine but I'm having some troubles to find them at newspapers shops or video game stores. I will be in Dundee by now. I prefer buying at the shop than ordering online because I haven't got a permanent adress at the moment. Can anybody help me to find a shop where I could buy issue 147 or older issues in Dundee. Thank you very much.
there's someone on here selling there collection at the moment isn't there?
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:07 pm

Ebay is your best bet. Recent issues are quite common on it and not too expensive.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:28 pm

MagoPunk wrote:Hi! It's my first time here. I would like to buy some issues of RetroGamer magazine but I'm having some troubles to find them at newspapers shops or video game stores. I will be in Dundee by now. I prefer buying at the shop than ordering online because I haven't got a permanent adress at the moment. Can anybody help me to find a shop where I could buy issue 147 or older issues in Dundee. Thank you very much.
Any normal local newsagent should be able to order Retro Gamer in for you every month just like any other magazine.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

MagoPunk

Post by MagoPunk » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Thank you very much!

merman

Post by merman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:12 am

With regards to the Mario article...

My personal view is this.
It looked very stylish on the page.
The developer input made it more than just a list.
And as has been pointed out, there has not been a big Mario feature in 5 years.

Yes, when you say "22 pages" out loud it sounds like a lot. But then weigh that up against the other great features and you see there is still a balance between text and picture-heavy features in this issue.

Hope people are enjoying the Making Of Vortex - it's only taken me 10 years to get that one into the mag :wink:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:40 am

If you like Mario it's great, if not that's a big chunk of the magazine gone.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:06 pm

PostieDoc wrote:If you like Mario it's great, if not that's a big chunk of the magazine gone.
You can make that argument about anything. I've seen some shocking posts about the 8-bit home computer coverage in the mag.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:49 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:If you like Mario it's great, if not that's a big chunk of the magazine gone.
You can make that argument about anything. I've seen some shocking posts about the 8-bit home computer coverage in the mag.
*ahem*

I love the Mario article. Makes me want to jump into Super Mario World all over again!

And to all the Mario haters - now you know how I feel when I see a 12 page Ultimate Play the Game article. :P

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Is the paper even worse in this issue? It feels less glossy? Or are they using less ink?
Which is kinda what I have been thinking; the paper is not thick enough to take that much ink without getting "wet", and then dry and wrinkle.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:34 am

merman wrote:Hope people are enjoying the Making Of Vortex - it's only taken me 10 years to get that one into the mag :wink:
The moment I opened the page I remembered that Transformers Super Fx game rumour! Game Zone ran a 4 or 5 page "preview" of the game with loads of screenshots (from the Transformers movie, cheeky). I was mesmerised by Star Fox at the time and a Transformers fan, so I was excited but sceptical. That article was all I ever saw of the game though - nothing ever materialised.

Thanks for settling that story once and for all!

Also, thanks for not cutting the quote about vertices having to be on the same plane. :D Some people will moan about it I'm sure, but I love those little behind the scenes insights.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:12 pm

theantmeister wrote:
merman wrote:Hope people are enjoying the Making Of Vortex - it's only taken me 10 years to get that one into the mag :wink:
The moment I opened the page I remembered that Transformers Super Fx game rumour! Game Zone ran a 4 or 5 page "preview" of the game with loads of screenshots (from the Transformers movie, cheeky). I was mesmerised by Star Fox at the time and a Transformers fan, so I was excited but sceptical. That article was all I ever saw of the game though - nothing ever materialised.

Thanks for settling that story once and for all!

Also, thanks for not cutting the quote about vertices having to be on the same plane. :D Some people will moan about it I'm sure, but I love those little behind the scenes insights.
Thanks. It felt right to include that quote because it said so much about what they were trying to achieve.
I hope that more people will give the game a try, just to see something different.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:
there's someone on here selling there collection at the moment isn't there?
It was me. Sold the lot now to a nice bloke in Poland, sorry.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:56 am

Apologies for the non feedback post, but has everybody got their subs copy yet?

Thought it might have been my DD not going through (bank change) but that is all ok. Also GamesTM arrived around when it should, so maybe my postie is into Retrogaming?