Retro Gamer Issue 147 - Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Eric

Retro Gamer Issue 147 - Feedback

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:47 am

30 Greatest Super Mario Moments
- Developers reveal their all-time favourite Mario moments. How many do you remember?

The History Of Splatterhouse
- Discover the interesting story behind one of gaming's goriest franchises.

The Making Of Tomb Raider
- Key members of Core Design explain how Lara first adventure becoming a genre defining hit.

Ultimate Guide: Mortal Kombat
- We celebrate Midway's superior sequel and discover how the many conversions were made.

Also inside...
- 30 Greatest Super Mario Moments
- The Making Of Tomb Raider
- The History Of Splatterhouse
- The Making Of Friday The 13th
- From The Archives: Human Engineered Software
- Hardware Heaven: Amiga 1200
- The Making Of Vortex
- A Moment With Jamie Crook
- Ultimate Guide: Mortal Kombat II
- Reader Revival: Cotton
- Interton VC 4000
- Minority Report: Game Boy
- Classic Moments: Typhoon Thompson
- Desert Island Disks: Patricia Curtis
- Retro Revival: Kick Off 2
- Retro Reviva: Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Eric

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 147 - Feedback

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:52 am

Looks to have plenty of retro content this month opposed to the newer retro. Sub as not arrived yet but most likely turn up tomorrow.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:52 am

If we define newer retro as 32-bit and later they actually have the same amount of pages 20.
Something I find quite interesting.
Obviously if you define newer retro as anything behind 16-bit it's significantly higher due to the Neo-Geo (unless of course you fall into the 16-bit not 24-bit crowd :) )

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Colleced it from my local corner shop this morning, far too much Mario for my liking* :roll: but the rest is up to it's usual standards so that's nice.

*Just my opinion of course!
Last edited by Fawltykog on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:04 pm

I was surprised to see this in WHSmith today, had no idea a new one was out, as my sub has not arrived! I thought normally subscribers got there issue prior to the shops?
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:56 pm

Hmmm - 2 months in a row subs have been after shop release!!! Why is that then Daz?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:56 am

We're aware that there has been some lateness with subs copies over the last couple of issues. Our subscriptions manager Carly is working on tracking down the cause of the problem, and providing updates in the Subscriptions Queries thread.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 am

Enjoyed the features on Ft13th and MK2. Found the Mario article a bit messy though. It was all over the place and a bit too long. Aside from that though, it was a good issue.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:04 am

markopoloman wrote:Hmmm - 2 months in a row subs have been after shop release!!! Why is that then Daz?
Yes I'm interested in this... although I moved yesterday so no doubt I'll have to buy in the shops anyway...I would have skipped a month but I'm interested in them mario stuff!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:56 pm

So much Mario, not a good issue for me, like the last one.
The two articles I was most looking forward too, Kick Off 2 and A1200, had virtually nothing to them.
Here's hoping the C&C article in next months issue is a full blown one.

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:42 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If we define newer retro as 32-bit and later they actually have the same amount of pages 20.
Something I find quite interesting.
Obviously if you define newer retro as anything behind 16-bit it's significantly higher due to the Neo-Geo (unless of course you fall into the 16-bit not 24-bit crowd :) )
Neo-Geo for me is Retro as well as N64 & DC. Where it gets blurry for me in the mag is the latter PS1 games. Anything from PS2/Xbox onwards I think is what I would call newer retro. Younger readers will have their own "blurry retro" zone as I like to hear those younger on the forums talk about how the remember playing PS2 fondly. Seems crazy and only like yesterday to us 8-bitters but still a happy time for them as I did with 8 & 16 bit.

22 pages of Mario seems a bit much but I did like the box out on page 21 that looks like the box is a cartridge in the Game Boy. At least there was no use of the circle boxout "stickers" although they appear in the Splatterhouse article!

The rest of the mag though is really strong. Back to 98, Splatterhouse & Friday 13th, Vortex, VC 4000, MK II, From the Archives, DID and even Tomb Raider.

Chuffed to see RoboCop Classic in the Homebrew. Updated it to v1.1 recently that fixes the main points the review highlights. With added Spectrum mode, speed and difficulty adjusted and movie stills quickened - you still get the Game Over still though!

Enjoyed the Spectrum Vega review and was surprised that you needed a usb port for the power, how many tv's in the UK support that. It's almost like the Saturn that came with a Scart socket! Seems a bit strange to say that it has 1000 games when most are homebrew and as the review listed as none of the main developers games.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:58 pm

I really noticed the poor physical quality of this issue. (Actually noticed it a few issues or more back)

The paper is now a thinner, almost newspaper type paper rather than the old glossy paper (I checked against an old issue just make sure I wasn't imagining it). Some of the printing was poor too and the paper wasn't even cut clean and had strips hanging off it. Maybe it's a necessary money saving measure as print mags get less profitable, but I would rather pay an extra pound and get the higher quality physical magazine back if that is the case. Anyone else noticing this?
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:04 pm

The horror combo was a neat touch as was giving the Saturn a mention in Tomb Raider.

Yes. The paper is poor and I had the strips of the cutting too.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:02 pm

Eric wrote:Yes. The paper is poor and I had the strips of the cutting too.
Yep, me too. I think we are only one or maybe two steps away from toilet paper :?

Honestly, mine looks like the paper got wet and then dried
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:23 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Eric wrote:Yes. The paper is poor and I had the strips of the cutting too.
Yep, me too. I think we are only one or maybe two steps away from toilet paper :?

Honestly, mine looks like the paper got wet and then dried
actually that's a good description: the paper does look like when you get a book wet and dry it out.

Looking back at older comments, this has been going on for a while, but can't see any reply from Darran on the change of paper.
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...