From The Forum issue 148 - SNES memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PanzerGeneral

Re: From The Forum issue 148 - SNES memories

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Obviously moving onto the SNES from the NES was a great step, the pack in Super Mario World was a great game that demanded to be played to completion and the biggest testament I can pay to the SNES is that I finished more games on that machine than any other (and it was not because they were easy).
Finishing U.N Squadron and Castlevania would be highlights.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:17 pm

I didn't have a snes growing up, I was a mega drive kid, but my friend nick had one, so most of what I remember involves 2 player games with him. Goals from the half way line on sensi, getting beaten dramatically at Mario kart, trying and failing to complete Mario world. He moved to London and we lost touch.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:47 am

Buying one as a xmas pressie for my younger brother/sister.

Got it home only to find that it didn't work, power came on but no picture but got sound.

At this point in the story I must mention that I was in the RAF at the time and bought the SNES from Germany. I knew it worked as I had been hammering Super Mario World before I wrapped it up as a present. This was before the time that electronic kit would work no matter which country you bought it from. Turns out stuff bought in Europe just wouldn't work on UK tvs.

Sooo, I got to keep the SNES!! Yay!!

They didn't get their pressie, but I did take em round the local Dixons/Currys and bought em one after Boxing Day.

Thereby cementing my status as 'Ultimate Big Bro!'

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:41 pm

My SNES came on Christmas day with a Super Scope when I was about 5 I think. I thought it was incredible aiming a huge bazooka at the telly. Having played a huge amount of Duck Hunt previously I was chuffed to bits with monster gun accessory.

Then came Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World and Street Fighter 2. All still played to this day :D

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:19 am

Never had one but my brotherinlaw did in the States. Remember playing hockey and super Mario kart but always getting beat.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:07 pm

First time I played a SNES was round my best friends when I was 13/14. He got it completely out of the blue (a gift from his older sister), and had Super Mario World and Super Tennis with it. I'd been playing SMB 3 a lot around that time, so SMW absolutely blew me away with the amazing arcade quality graphics and the introduction of Yoshi. We played it solid for days. Super Tennis was also a revelation for me - probably the first time I'd really enjoyed playing a tennis game (and it's still probably my favourite one - we play it pretty much every year when Wimbledon is on!).

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:28 am

Waking up Christmas morning with my 2 brothers and 1 sister, to a new SNES with Street Fighter 2. One of the best Christmas and SNES memories ever

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:23 am

Going up my Friends house and playing Super Metroid for the first time.. I was blown away by the speech and the game just Wow.. I only owned a 2600 , C64 and Megadrive at the time and was blown away an arcade quality game in your house...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

smccd

Post by smccd » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:56 am

The SNES was no less than an unattainable dream for me. All I could afford was a knock-off NES clone, and seeing SNES Street Fighter 2 in attract mode in a store is one of the reasons I now collect retro video games.

David

Post by David » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:34 pm

being able to edit the strips in ISS.

mind blowing

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:57 pm

My first time playing on one was at a guys flat from college.
Obviously I knew what a SNES was and it's best games etc but he kept mentioning discs!?!

When we got there he had a SNES, a super wildcard (never even heard of such a thing at that time) and a shoe box absolutely full of discs. I don't know what was in the shoebox because he loaded up Street Fighter II Turbo (2 discs IIRC) and that's all we played all day.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:25 am

Mario Kart all the way. Never had a SNES but going round a friends house to play Mario Kart multiplayer was such a good laugh. An amazing game

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:44 am

stvd wrote:When we got there he had a SNES, a super wildcard (never even heard of such a thing at that time) and a shoe box absolutely full of discs. I don't know what was in the shoebox because he loaded up Street Fighter II Turbo (2 discs IIRC) and that's all we played all day.
Forgot to mention that in my original post. The same guy I shared a flat with at university that had the Neo Geo (as mentioned in last issue's RG) also had a SNES with a Wildcard, and stacks of copied floppies. Was how I first got to play Umihara Kawase for example.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

quantum

Post by quantum » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:03 am

Paying £70 to play a near perfect Street Fighter 2 at home! :mrgreen: Amazing memories of frantic multi-player sessions.

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:50 pm

I never owned one at the time being a Megadrive guy but going to my mates and blasting through Donkey Kong Country was sufficient to waiver my loyalties slightly!

PSN username - MartinPhantom