From The Forum issue 148 - SNES memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

From The Forum issue 148 - SNES memories

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:44 am

Cor, it's that time already? So it is. Tell us your memories of the SNES - were you drooling over shots in Mean Machines long before the system arrived? Did the Super FX games wow you? Favourite games, first encounters, anything SNES-related goes. Some replies, as always, will appear in the mag.

theantmeister

Re: From The Forum issue 148 - SNES memories

Post by theantmeister » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:52 am

So many memories!

I remember seeing that opening tunnel sequence in StarFox and being absolutely amazed. I remember seeing a single screenshot of the Wampa boss fight in Super Empire Strikes Back and immediately wanting that game. I remember hearing the guitar intro blast out from Spiderman and the Xmen. I remember spending countless hours trying to perfect a jet pack level in Pilotwings.

I could go on...

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:23 am

Predictable comment but multi player Super Mario Kart is probably the most post-pub gaming fun ever had.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:16 am

I liked Stunt Race FX. The crawling frame rate was no joke but when a game in the early '90s let you drive through a glass tunnel under water, that was pretty impressive.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:33 am

Not so much the machine itself, but the PAl versions came out ages after tha Japanese and US versions and were advertised in the games mags at the time. I would pore over the ads and play a game where I would have an imaginary budget and wpould work out which games I would buy. No console has ever had me so excited like that.

Another great memorey is one of my friends getting an import copy of SF II. One horrible day we all got sent home from school early because of weather. His mom said we could all pile in his house, so around 5 of us spent the afternoon playing winner stops on, while his mom supplied us with hot chocolate crisps and biscuits. amazing day that was.

Retrobussola

Post by Retrobussola » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:55 pm

Street Fighter II, me and my brother waited for Christmas to have it as a gift and we play for hours and hours, our hands were completely excoriated, but we want to finish it with all the characters. That game remained in my memory and I still have it in my collection.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:15 pm

I remember preferring the Megadrive.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:56 pm

Aside from realising that console based RPGs could work, and that Link to the Past on the SNES was a goddamn masterpiece about three hours after starting to play it...

Picture the scene back in mid June 1992...

<Best mate from school who I played SF2 arcade with constantly> *rings phone* Hey Mat!
<Me> Yeah?
<Mate> You've got a SNES, haven't you?
<Me> Yeah, why?
<Mate> Someone I know got SF2 from Japan and lent it to me!
<Me> I'll be right over!!!

So I packed up my console and pads, shoved it in a bag, cribbed a lift from my folks and we pretty much spent the entire day playing the game, with barely stoppages for food and drink. Those were the times.

Shoving PAL Super Tennis into a US SNES with an adapter, and realising that they had actually optimised it for PAL, and now it ran at supersonic speeds instead. I still liked the game enough to get my own copy that ran at the correct speed.

Taking a year off between finishing school and starting university, to get essentially a stop-gap year working. Cue buying a new SNES game every week for almost two months because I had new found "wealth" to pay for games. Paying 90 quid for SFC Starfox and SFC SF2 Turbo! Going to the US for the first time and buying a copy of Super Mario RPG using travellers cheques heh. That took a bit of faff.

Oh, and this image hah hah...

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

PAC

Post by PAC » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Pure Megadrive envy = SFII !

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:21 am

Main memory - blimey those games look expensive. Going from 1.99 mastertronic games to £40 carts was more than my pocket money could stretch too
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:31 am

I'd grown up owning an Amiga, and amazingly everyone in my year owned a Sega system. I was barely aware of the existence of the Snes, and I just assumed it was poor compared to what I knew.

The first time I played one was when I visited my cousin in another town, and I remember being blown away by Donkey Kong and Super Mario World. We spent the whole night completing the latter, taking turn about on levels. We were supposed to be asleep, but we stayed up anyway with the lights turned off and the volume turned down low (so I missed some of that brilliant music) - and we played it right through till 6 in the morning, when we finally defeated Bowser.

Some fond memories.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:59 am

I remember getting a booklet in CVG, long before the machine was to reach our shores, detailing the probable launch titles, console features, the games just looked amazing, and after having a Gameboy for quite a while, I knew it was going to be my next console purchase, the months ticked away with no news, so I would keep picking this booklet up, flicking through the pages, absolute torture really.

My first experience of playing one would be in a computer shop in Northampton, they had a Super Famicom out playing F-Zero, I was just so blown away, now I could see it in action, the speed and look of the game, and that music, I was obsessed with getting one now, the shop was charging 50p a go, so throughout the day I spent about three quid in there, also saw a fight in the shop when someone pushed in, and almost another when the assistant screamed at a young boy who had not paid, but had started a game, telling him to get out of the shop, his dad was huge, and grabbed the guy, telling him he would and I quote 'rip his face open' if he spoke to his son that way again, crazy!

Then in a 1991 issue of Games X, there was an announcement that the machine was about to launch in Canada, earlier than expected, and if Nintendo followed their usual pattern, it would reach Europe in April of the next year, my excitement now was at fever pitch, I saved the money away, and just waited and waited, reading more and more previews of the machine that would be 'the console of the '90s'

Doing some Christmas shopping in Corby around November 1991, my Mum and Dad met up with me and told me the SNES had been released early, it was in a shop around the corner, so round I raced...only to find they were NESs, the assistant thought he could try and pull a fast one, by putting a Super Nintendo sign on them, I was not amused to say the least, massive disappointment.

Finally around Christmas 1991, it was the news I had waited so long to hear, the SNES was indeed coming on Easter weekend April 11th 1992, the money was saved, so just a few more months, more previews, and then the even better news, we were not going to get the ugly US style machine, the first pictures and TV adverts appeared, then the weekend dawned.

I had agreed to go and stay with my Grandmother that weekend, so arrived on the Friday night, could not sleep hardly at all, and headed into town, Boots was my first call, they only had the games, so I bought Super Tennis and F-Zero, and with rising panic headed into Woolworths, they only had one left and it was being sold to a lady at the counter, her son was ten quid short, so he had gone to the bank, while her back was turned talking to an assistant, I called another one over, explaining I had a train to catch, she dutifully counted my money out, seemed to take an age to ring it through the till, but the SNES was mine, I left through the rear entrance, just as the young lad returned exclaiming 'I've got it!!', I did feel a bit bad, but after waiting so long for the console, not enough, I ran back to my Gran's and tuned in her telly, until the wonderfully colourful title screen of Super Mario World appeared on the screen.

The rest of the weekend was spent swapping between the three games, which were all brilliant, just the most anticipated launch for me ever, no console before or since has garnered that level of excitement in me, and probably never will.

Nintendo very slowly drip fed the games out, the next releases, Super R-Type and Super Soccer took until early June to come out, Super Wrestlemania, Super Castlevania IV, weeks after that, but I did not mind, gave me more time to save up, also got an adaptor very quickly to allow me to play the likes of Pilotwings, months before the UK launch, though I remember it wiped the battery of my Super Mario World, so that was a mini disaster.

Hard to believe that in three short years I collected over 70 titles, and still have them all now, plus a few more, before moving on to the Playstation.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:08 am

Having Street Fighter II competitions in the 6th form common room at lunchtimes was pretty noisy and fun memories! That and getting nausea and headaches from playing Super Mario Kart too long!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:36 am

Playing Super Castlevania IV on import at Darran's house and spending ages listening to the chandeliers swinging from the left speaker to the right.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:55 am

nakamura wrote:Playing Super Castlevania IV on import at Darran's house and spending ages listening to the chandeliers swinging from the left speaker to the right.
And we did that recently too :D