Discuss Time! Issue 148

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 148

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:08 am

Mine will be much newer than others' choices due to my age but it was either the original Sonic or Streets of Rage 2 on my Uncle's Mega Drive. The music of Sonic stuck with me as did the satisfying sound of the pipe in SoR2! Didn't actually have any consoles or games of my own for a good few years after that.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:43 am

Mine would be Depth charge on an arcade cab in the entertainment room at Trimingham caravan park, Norfolk in the late 1970's, it was an extortionate 50p a go, a lot of money then, but my brother and I used to have a couple of goes, run out of coins, and then the locals would take pity on us and give us more money, wouldn't happen now of course.

We loved that machine though, the sonar noise would drive you up the wall nowadays, but at the time it was extraordinary, I would control the ship left and right, while my brother was in charge of dropping the depth charges, he liked to think he was the Captain of the ship too I think, great memories, unrelated of course, but I taught myself to swim in the little pool by the clubhouse too.

A couple of years later and we were playing our first arcade conversion at home, Wolfpack on the ZX81, not really the same game, but we used to think it was close enough.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:51 am

I can't remember what the first videogame I ever played was! And that irks me.
I do remember being at a camping resort somewhere in Sweden and playing a game with two (jet?)fighters shooting at each other, though I much later realized I thought I was the cpu player...

OTOH I am pretty certain from the first time and whenever later I saw a coin-op I knew that these games were _it_ for me. Made me get a computer, and made me study computer science.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:18 pm

NorthWay wrote:I can't remember what the first videogame I ever played was! And that irks me.
Same here. It could be one of those TV game things that you plugged into the back of a TV (a friend had one), or it might have been Space Invaders, or something else.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Dremk3

Post by Dremk3 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Rambo on the MSX, and it was badass. Knifing everybody down the whole game.

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:23 pm

Other than the home pong type games, my first arcade games would probably be things like Boot Hill and Night Driver when I was on holiday as a kid. The chip shop not far from my home brought my next exposure to arcade cabinets, they used to keep two machines in the shop and would change them every so often-first ones being Defender and Scramble closely followed by Uni Wars and Moon Cresta.
My first "real" home video game would probably be Combat on the Atari VCS and my first computer game would be Alpiner on the TI/99/4a.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:12 pm

As I'm ancient, the first video game I remember playing was Space Invaders way back on its initial release. And whilst queuing up to replay - everyone had manners, so took it in turns to play - I entertained one of the iterations of Crash. Crikey, dredging up those memories tested the old grey matter!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:25 pm

I genuinely cannot remember, would've been a pong clone, an arcade machine, a handheld LCD thing or something when I was about 4 or so. But really can't remember my 1st.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:14 am

Home machine: one of those 'sports' consoles, with variations of Pong.

Arcade: Our local movie theatre got three machines, Night driver, Space Invaders and Pinball. I only had eyes for the invaders! I probably played a few of those mechanical type coin ops before then, but it was Space Invaders that really got me.

The impression it left: I buy RG and visit forums like this in my late 40s :)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:12 am

the first one that i have memories of is a text adventure called 'the adventures of jacaranda jim' on our dos pc in the late 80s. One of my enduring memories was the bizarre range of objects that had some degree of significance later in the game, at one point I remember carrying around a deckchair, some boxing gloves and a piece of gristle, all of which were essential to progress in the game.

The other game I remember was space quest, i didn't get very far on that and would walk aimlessly around the ship, not managing to get a gun before being shot

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:45 am

The first videogame I can recall playing was Pacman on the Atari 2600, I can remember my dad coming back from work one night with the system and a hand full of games.
It's weird what bits you remember as a 4 year old but I can remember my dad asking which one I'd like to play on first (read: which game my dad should play first!) he read back a few of them to me and I chose Pacman as I thought he said Batman! I honestly thought the game was Batman for quite some time after that :oops:

Other than that, the next game I can think of would be Space Harrier. This was the first game I played in the arcade and with it being the deluxe machine you can imagine how amazed I was with trying this for the first time. Although the seat only moved in basic motions, to 4 year old me it felt like I was rolling around!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:20 am

flatapex wrote:The other game I remember was space quest, i didn't get very far on that and would walk aimlessly around the ship, not managing to get a gun before being shot
I have bad news for you - you never get a gun.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Mr. do! At Redcar, great memories when I used to go on holiday and for 10p got very good at it!

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:18 pm

theantmeister wrote:
flatapex wrote:The other game I remember was space quest, i didn't get very far on that and would walk aimlessly around the ship, not managing to get a gun before being shot
I have bad news for you - you never get a gun.
you could have told me that 26 years ago :lol:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Astro Wars in Lytham St Annes didn't realise you had to put money in to control it, and Space Invaders in the same arcade I had to stand on a chair didn't last long on it..

Home was first the Galaxy Invader 1000 which I could complete and Atari 2600 Space Invades one christmas gave my hands cramp I played it so much, all our family and neighbours played Combat all night, good times.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"