Retro Gamer issue 146 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MartynC

Re: Retro Gamer issue 146 feedback thread

Post by MartynC » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'd also like to know what happened to his last Speccy game, Masterspy. Since it was complete, it would be nice to have a go, but there's no mention of it on World of Spectrum, even as an MIA game. Is it lost forever, did Albert say anything about that?
Masterspy is in the main WoS archive. http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0027053

Albert found the tape and it was added to the archive a few years back.

Seems like Masterspy has a fan or two: http://davidn.livejournal.com/281980.html

merman

Post by merman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:56 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Just read the Jumping Jack article.

There's mention of a C64 version that never went anywhere. Should this be on Games That Weren't, or is it only games that actually started development that are on there?

I'd also like to know what happened to his last Speccy game, Masterspy. Since it was complete, it would be nice to have a go, but there's no mention of it on World of Spectrum, even as an MIA game. Is it lost forever, did Albert say anything about that?
There are many GTW entries based on adverts, press releases that mentioned a C64 version and outright speculation (for example, C&VG's C64 version coming soon comment on their Darius+ review).

I'm sure Frank Gasking would be interested.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:53 am

Tell me guys, what does an "underwater river" look like? :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:13 am

theantmeister wrote:Tell me guys, what does an "underwater river" look like? :lol:
Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBvKDOfWiI

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:29 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
theantmeister wrote:Tell me guys, what does an "underwater river" look like? :lol:
Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBvKDOfWiI
:shock:

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Nice to see my comment from last months "From the forum" section in this months section as well ;) :lol:

Seems to be a well balanced issue this month, I really enjoyed the Jumping jack article despite knowing absolutely nothing about the game. The Neogeo article was interesting as it is a system I have always found interesting despite never playing the AES but drooling over it when I saw it on shows like Games Master and Games World :mrgreen:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:25 pm

Good issue overall, quite enjoyed it lots of plus points my only gripe was the coding article. Dull as dishwater, but I know you can't please everyone all the time, in general very good well done guys.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:02 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:I really enjoyed the Jumping jack article despite knowing absolutely nothing about the game.
Seconded. I'm sure I played a clone/variation of this on my XT, but I'd never even heard of it. Great article though - full of nice little details.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Coincidentally, I was looking to see if anyone had made an Oric version of Jumping Jack and turned up a reasonably convincing type in version (though it's one of those horrible ones full of data statements since it's almost entirely machine code via BASIC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Another postive from me regarding Jumping Jack , never played it before but I must get hold of it and play it on my Spectrum emulator some time, I think it's another case of you don't need amazing graphics to get a really good game.

The Kevin Toms interview was interesting aswell, there can't be many 8 bit users who didn't own or play Football Manager at some point, I remember changing all the players and team names to various silly and odd things, provided a lot of amusement and we did the same thing again with Sensible Soccer!

Booty - a fantastic little game, always wanted it on the BBC, but it never happened. Tales Of The Arabian Nights did appear on the BBC, I remember seeing the usual miserable reviewer in Acorn User reviewing it as part of 10 Computer Hits, saying "It's awful 1/10" that was it !! , so I decided to buy it and make up my own mind, it's not awful at all, frustrating and hard, but in there is a good game, excellent graphics, varied screens, but it's just so hard, odd keyboard controls and strangely silent! a bit of polish and this would of been a really good game.

Great to see from the Archives Audiogenic feature, one i've been waiting for, for ages ! they were a real powerhouse on the BBC market, I always wondered why Icon software titles kept appearing on Audiogenic compilations, now I know ! Audiogenic produced some fantastic BBC games - too many to list , but games such as Shark, Impact, Ransack, Thunderstruck and Omega Orb are well worth checking out, they supported the BBC to the end, and the last one I bought was the brilliant Helter Skelter. Shame you couldn't get any interview with Peter Scott - would of been good to hear from him in additon to Gary Partis, two of the best BBC programmers in my opinion.
Last edited by Imhotep on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:46 pm

Tales of the Arabian Nights: I have always liked the game, but you forgot to mention that it is a big rip-off from a(n Atari?) coin-op. And I suspect without have properly checked that the scrolling level used low-res where it could have used hi-res (nerd, I know).

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:28 am

gman72 wrote:Good issue overall, quite enjoyed it lots of plus points my only gripe was the coding article. Dull as dishwater, but I know you can't please everyone all the time, in general very good well done guys.
I found the coding article interesting, but then, I guess I was predisposed to liking it, given what I do for a living. I can see why some might find it a bit dull though. In the same way I find all the business talk in the "From the archives" articles dull.

[edit]

Geez, this month's Audiogenic "from the archives" is a perfect example. Did we really need an entire page dedicated to "well in 19-dickedy-1 we merged with SomeSoft Inc, but the head office was in Hull and ZZZZZZZZ". Honestly, throwing some video game screenshots onto something that reads like the corporate history webpage of a plumbing supply company doesn't make it interesting.
Last edited by theantmeister on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:36 am

The coding article was simply inspired. I felt llike I was back in the "old" RG if you get my drift.
Audiogenic was a surprise - I had no idea there was a buyout. Even more interesting as I remember SuperSoft to be a company that had not so much publicity, but did above average quality.
And I still think the CV looks good - for some illogical reason it stirs something inside me. Now _that_ is proof of a solid case of nostalgia...

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:56 pm

I liked the coding article quite a lot. It was one of the highlights of the mag this month.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DRS

Post by DRS » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:47 am

NorthWay wrote:Tales of the Arabian Nights: I have always liked the game, but you forgot to mention that it is a big rip-off from a(n Atari?) coin-op. And I suspect without have properly checked that the scrolling level used low-res where it could have used hi-res (nerd, I know).
Fair point! I was vaguley aware that Atari had produced a coin-op called Arabian but as I've never interviewed anyone who had a hand in it (which I now see is because it was produced in Japan and Atari just published it in the West) I've never played it... so I duly booted it up on MAME and yup, that first screen is a dead ringer for the C64 Tales of the Arabian Nights. I felt a right fool but then carried on playing and the arcade game goes it's own way after that (or more accurately Ian Gray basically copied that first screen and kept the 'collect jars with letters on' idea and then went off on his own track).

The arcade game is actually really fun and has Bruce Lee style combat and a weird reimagining of Frogger with magic carpets at one point. So cheers Northway for introducing me to the game... and if I ever track down Ian Gray, I'll quiz him too ;]

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Paul