From the forum issue 147 - Favourite gory games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From the forum issue 147 - Favourite gory games

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:48 am

Hi all, happy days are here again - it's time to post things to get into the mag!

Since we've got a selection of blood-soaked games in this issue (Mortal Kombat II, Friday The 13th and the Splatterhouse series), we're asking for you to spill your guts on the subject of gory games - what are your favourites? What's the most gruesome death in a game? Has anything ever gone a bit too far for your tastes?

adippm82

Re: From the forum issue 147 - Favourite gory games

Post by adippm82 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:54 am

Rise Of The Triads is one that immediately springs to mind, ridiculous Gibs!! arms, legs, eyeballs flying about everywhere.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:08 am

A few of memorable games.
Punching/kicking someone in Street Fighter 2 and watching them puke!
Mortal Kombat was the first time I saw fatalities, it was amazing at the time and you just had to try every character to see what happened.
The first time I chainsawed someone in Gears Of War and blood and guts flew at the screen.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:28 am

Who can forget the terrible Time Killers?

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:53 am

Technocop on the Amiga.

Me and my Brother found the deaths totally fantastic! People virtually explode when shot. There's blood and guts everywhere, then what's left of the body twitches on the floor.

https://youtu.be/3Y0Yt9xAbcA?t=2m3s
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:00 am

An early favourite for gore was Nemesis The Warlock on the Spectrum, where piling bodies up was a useful and sometimes necessary gameplay tactic. The C64 version is bloodier, but the Speccy plays better.

Jump forward to the Amiga, and Cannon Fodder is a classic. Ok, there's not a huge abundance of gore (though a bit of blood is splattered around), but being able to repeatedly shoot an enemy who is screaming, prolonging the death as he bounces around the screen propelled by your bullets is almost as much fun as the rest of the game.

Once we go 3D, then Soldier of Fortune has to get a mention. Is this the first FPS to feature location specific wounds? Blasting off limbs, shotgunning faces away, it was all quite extraordinary.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:03 am

Has to be Gloom on the Amiga, FPS where bloody body parts fly off after shooting an enemy, complete with squelchy sounds! Classic!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:29 am

Bulletstorm got pretty bloody, likewise Manhunt 2 and Dead Space. Ignoring the latest MK game (cos that IS gory!), then I'll probably say Mad World, because it's on the Wii, and it's filled with red to splatter the black and white landscape with.
adippm82 wrote:Rise Of The Triads is one that immediately springs to mind, ridiculous Gibs!! arms, legs, eyeballs flying about everywhere.
Heh, yeah, this was the first game that sprang to mind for me as well :lol: Ludicrous GIBS!!!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:41 am

Barbarian on the Speccy. It may have had a dozen or so moves but I wouldn't know because all I did was the 'flying neck chop' in the hope of decapitating every enemy.

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:20 am

The bloodied ravaging in Forbidden Forest on the C64... it might just seem like a mess of red pixels today but back then it really felt like you were being horribly mutilated. I still wake up screaming about giant spiders.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:37 am

Some gory C64 games I remember....

Death Wish 3 had pretty cool sprites and some gory graphics. Gunshots would go straight through the bad guys exploding from their backs. This was a gore fest to a 13 year old!

Creatures 2! Chainsaws and all!

Speed Racer. Although driving a racing car along a street squashing people sounds a lot of fun, in Street Racer it wasn't so much.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:45 am

Soft and Cuddly on the Spectrum. Severed heads and piles of steaming guts all over the shop.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:44 pm

gman72 wrote:Soft and Cuddly on the Spectrum. Severed heads and piles of steaming guts all over the shop.
Good shout that, great memories of that game and the rubbish music by HEX on the reverse!

The first one that sprung to mind for me was Kasumi Ninja, it's not a great game but the death moves are seriously brutal, there is loads of blood and it famously starred on the Gamesmaster gore special back in the day.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:24 pm

Personal Nightmare on the Amiga had me entranced for years (until I finally beat it with a stack of cheats). It had such a gripping atmosphere, and you died often - very often actually - but the ways you died were so numerous (for instance being garrotted, shot by toy soldiers, driven over by a possessed villager, torn apart by a poltergeist, bitten by a vampire) that you didn't quite mind... so much. And still to this day I haven't seen an adventure quite like it.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Moonstone on the Amiga was brilliantly bloody and filled with brutal deaths

Barbarian for the awesome spinning neck chop and decapitation, still the best ever move in a game