Retro Gamer - Issue 145

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroMartin

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 145

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:41 am

jdanddiet wrote:Well there might be a very good reason for that ant me old mucker...
Do tell for those of not in the know :p

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:32 am

I suspect the implication is that a small feature solely on that game is forthcoming...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:51 am

Really enjoyed the Bruce Lee feature. Top stuff.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:09 pm

Really enjoyed this issue very much.
Massive plus point : The number of articles where there were screenshots from all the different machines that particular games came out on. More of this!
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm only about a third through it, but a few comments:

Good to see a peripheral article, though I was disappointed that there wasn't a picture of an actual picture the camera takes. I had to look it up to see an example pic.

Great so see lots of different versions of games. In-fact there were some from platforms I didn't even know what they were.

A bit disappointed that there wasn't any mention of the Green Yamo's origins. Why is he green? Why Yamo? Where did the idea come from?

The whole mag looks very nice, too. Good looking features.

That's where I'm up to. There's quite a lot of interesting stuff to come, so I'll be interested in a lot of the mag this month.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 am

necronom wrote:Good to see a peripheral article, though I was disappointed that there wasn't a picture of an actual picture the camera takes. I had to look it up to see an example pic.
ClassicGameRoom has a good review of the Gameboy camera - some of it was even shot on the camera :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hnggc_FbSA

I'm right near the end of this month's issue and still a week to go till the next one arrives. It must have been good! Disappointing number of spelling mistakes and typos in this one. Andrew Hewson's looking a bit Braybrook, isn't he? :wink:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:15 pm

AlleyKat: There was no mention of C= 128 differences IIRC?

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:43 am

NorthWay wrote:AlleyKat: There was no mention of C= 128 differences IIRC?
Good point. Although it was a fairly moderate upgrade I think - a few more bullets and more sprites in the Katerkiller?
Andrew did a similar thing with Uridium 2 on the A1200 but it was actually a much more significant improvement.

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:03 pm

I have noticed an error in the Arkanoid article. The MSX version I have comes with the special dial controller (obviously the japanese cartridge version not the UK release)

Imhotep

Post by Imhotep » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:27 am

A good issue for me, a lot of stuff of interest, Arkanoid, Simon Pick interview (remember Dare Devil Denis well), the making of Bruce Lee - a game I remember well from playing on the Spectrum, and then got the BBC version and was rather disappointed with it, I can live with the odd colours, but a lack of the ninja and missing locations spoilt it, and it was converted to the BBC by Micro Power whose games were usually of a high standard so not sure what happened there.

I liked Paul Drurys page with all the Acornsoft logos, that brough back memories, and as I had my PS2 set up recently I thought i'd give Space Harrier a real go after reading the article and what a brilliant game, excellent music, really good fun, i'd never played it before.

But the real highlight article was about the Acorn Electron, my first computer and I still have it now, it was a nice little machine but I don't have the same retro fondess of it as I do of the BBC which I wanted to get rather quickly after seeing how much better the games I was playing were on it. I think the Electron could of been a big success if Acorn hadn't of got things wrong , missing out Mode 7 was criminal, and you were lucky if you ever heard music in a game, but i'm glad I had one otherwise I wouldn't of discovered the BBC or Acorn, or RISC OS and so on, and it did get Jet Set Willy which was one of the main reasons I wanted a computer after playing it on a friends Spectrum.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:28 am

A bit late to comment but can anybody tell me why the Apple II screens in the Bard's Tale article look so poor? It looks like they had to be physically photographed or something. It was a great article by the way; not played these games before but the actual story of the development and problems was seriously interesting!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:03 am

Apple screenshots always look poor when we use them. I think its due to the font system the machine uses.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:40 am

In a number of games, and Bard's Tale is one, the C64 version uses the same font as the original Apple II. So perhaps it's how the system uses it, and/or the emulator itself.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:44 am

Cheers. They just looked dark and at least one had those horizontal lines that you'd get when photographing TV or monitor screens. Not tried the emulation myself mind so I don't know how it looks in practice.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:43 am

Can't remember what the screenshots look like, but IIRC both the Apple and the A8 uses artifacting with NTSC for other colours and if the emulation isn't perfect you get a strange PAL look. I do trust RG to know how to emulate correctly though.