Retro Gamer - Issue 145

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Nemesis

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 145

Post by Nemesis » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:32 pm

RichL wrote:Said it on Twitter to you but will say it again. Love the cover.
Yeah agreed. This and the 1942 cover are great.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:53 pm

Actually really enjoyed this issue, lot of good stuff, especially Bruce Lee, The Bards Tale and the Electron feature.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 pm

Just going to link this incredible Spectrum version of that Space Harrier game artwork done by MAC just last year:
http://zxart.ee/mobile/eng/music/author ... -harrier1/

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:31 am

Thats bloody good too. 8)

sidney

Post by sidney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Amazing Spec-art.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:49 pm

When I first saw the contents of this issue on here nothing at all overly appealed to me (on a quick first glance) - but I finally got the issue today, and its actually one the most complete issues I've seen for a while - it looks like a cover-cover read and the balance of the content seems spot-on - 8-bit, arcade, consoles, and great interviews, plus a big Bards Tale article which you can kind of say is PC/Apple content given how big it was on those platforms (my brother and his mates were PC Bards Tale nuts when that was out). Also, in person, the cover looks glorious - the 3D effect on it really stand out.

ps: has anyone else noticed the "An ACRON Electron Retrospective" spelling mistake across 3 pages? :D

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:15 am

Slight difference here. There are some quite good articles but overall an alright issue.

That said Darren & Co you have set the bar WAY high for the next issue. That page....THAT page....as anyone here may or may not know im a huge metal gear fan (possibly why i had my comment published the last time an mgs article was written in RG or so id like to think lol) so that page alone has got me outstandingly excited for the next issue. I expect GREAT things from this article. Especially as i will be doing a Metal Gear marathon leading up to the Phantom Pain release.

I look forward to it....oh and that stuff about Dreamcast and Broken sword lol!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:47 am

The Bruce Lee article was a nice one, I liked it, also The Bard's Tale one was good. I never knew that there were so many problems with the creation of the series. I do recall playing the first game on the C64 on a cassette..talk about a major pain in the butt there :x

Did you notice that Andrew Braybrook is called Andrew Hewson under his picture on page 81 :mrgreen:

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:16 pm

just finished the issue.
can I just heap praise on the Space Harrier article by Nick Thorpe. Unlike many such articles it didn't just tell us about the development of the game but also talked about the gameplay too, enabling people like me who could never get that far into the game to find out more. A brilliantly written and well balanced article.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Enjoyed the issue, the highlight for me was the Bruce Lee feature.The Electron feature taught me a few things too. Nobody give feedback anymore?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:14 pm

Still got mine sitting on the side, waiting to be read. Maybe something to keep me occupied when travelling over the weekend...
Boulder wrote:The Bruce Lee article was a nice one, I liked it, also The Bard's Tale one was good. I never knew that there were so many problems with the creation of the series. I do recall playing the first game on the C64 on a cassette..talk about a major pain in the butt there :x
Having played the original on tape first, way before getting a disk drive, then I don't think it was that bad. The main game itself was a single load (kept as such by reducing the total number of in-game graphics and removing the animations), and then you had a short 10-15 seconds of loading for each dungeon level (probably map data and basic level specific graphics). Best of all was the character/party editor, whereby you could duplicate pretty much any item between your characters! So from the default party in the game, you could pinch the Fire Horn and dupe it several times to make those lower level battles a bit more bearable...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:12 am

Mayhem wrote: Best of all was the character/party editor, whereby you could duplicate pretty much any item between your characters! So from the default party in the game, you could pinch the Fire Horn and dupe it several times to make those lower level battles a bit more bearable...
This was probably the only way to make the first few battles possible. Even clearing our the cellar in the bar could end in tears to a pile of Kolbolds...

Completed this on the spectrum, need to do the same with the PC version never got round to it in the last 20 years or so. I have the third one on Disk for the C64 really need to try that to.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:15 am

Great issue, loads of interesting content. The Bruce Lee & Simon Pick articles were probably my favourite this time.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:15 am

New Generation article was good, shame Corridors of Genon barely got a mention as its one of their more compelling games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:02 am

Well there might be a very good reason for that ant me old mucker...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords