Bookazines / Specials

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply
kiwimike
Posts: 3657
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by kiwimike » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Eric wrote:Arcade Classics great - definitely buying that one. Just picked up today from WH Smiths the Hardware Handbook vol 2 (revised) for 85p! Found it in the bargain box along with Home and Garden mags. A few little skuffs to the cover but otherwise great condition. photo:- https://twitter.com/ParkGames/status/672738223521726464
Image
You jammy Bastard, great buy! :lol:

Love Vol1&2 of the hardware handbooks, my fave bookazines of the lot

Timothy Redux
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by Timothy Redux » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:53 am

no arcade bookazine out yet in any of my local wh smiths this weekend yet - did someone say the revised Atari one has original content (or is it just content re-printed from the mags?)
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

psj3809
Posts: 18744
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by psj3809 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:01 am

Timothy Redux wrote:no arcade bookazine out yet in any of my local wh smiths this weekend yet - did someone say the revised Atari one has original content (or is it just content re-printed from the mags?)
I keep checking the Retro Gamer app as it normally seems to show on that first. I'll let you know once its out on that

knight_beat
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: London... Home of Danger Mouse

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by knight_beat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:15 am

kiwimike wrote:
Eric wrote:Arcade Classics great - definitely buying that one. Just picked up today from WH Smiths the Hardware Handbook vol 2 (revised) for 85p! Found it in the bargain box along with Home and Garden mags. A few little skuffs to the cover but otherwise great condition. photo:- https://twitter.com/ParkGames/status/672738223521726464
Image
You jammy Bastard, great buy! :lol:

Love Vol1&2 of the hardware handbooks, my fave bookazines of the lot
That's a bargain. I was impressed when I spotted the Linux User special & Digital Camera bookazines for 2.99, but that's even better!

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:no arcade bookazine out yet in any of my local wh smiths this weekend yet - did someone say the revised Atari one has original content (or is it just content re-printed from the mags?)
The arcade book isn't out until the 12th
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18744
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by psj3809 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks, at least i can stop checking the Retro gamer app every few hours !

Any chance of the cover ?

kiwimike
Posts: 3657
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by kiwimike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:42 pm

psj3809 wrote:Thanks, at least i can stop checking the Retro gamer app every few hours !

Any chance of the cover ?
Yeah I've been popping on for a daily check :lol:

Yes please, a sneak peak at the cover would be cool

kiwimike
Posts: 3657
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by kiwimike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Timothy Redux wrote:did someone say the revised Atari one has original content (or is it just content re-printed from the mags?)
I have the first edition of the Atari one and it's great if you love things Atari. My understanding is this is an unusual bookazine to most as rather than reprints past features, it used the info to rewrite them from the ground up for something new. It really shows...it's a terrific book well worth getting :)

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6739
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:48 am

kiwimike wrote:
Timothy Redux wrote:did someone say the revised Atari one has original content (or is it just content re-printed from the mags?)
I have the first edition of the Atari one and it's great if you love things Atari. My understanding is this is an unusual bookazine to most as rather than reprints past features, it used the info to rewrite them from the ground up for something new. It really shows...it's a terrific book well worth getting :)
That's technically not true.
It's reprinted content, but it's been completely redesigned.
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18744
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:47 am

^Damn when i saw you had replied to this thread i thought i was going to see some great arcade cover ;)

User avatar
NickThorpe
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:45 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:29 pm

Hang on, what this? This exciting.

Image
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18744
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:10 pm

Ohhhhh ! Thanks

Roll on saturday

kiwimike
Posts: 3657
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by kiwimike » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:28 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
kiwimike wrote:
Timothy Redux wrote:did someone say the revised Atari one has original content (or is it just content re-printed from the mags?)
I have the first edition of the Atari one and it's great if you love things Atari. My understanding is this is an unusual bookazine to most as rather than reprints past features, it used the info to rewrite them from the ground up for something new. It really shows...it's a terrific book well worth getting :)
That's technically not true.
It's reprinted content, but it's been completely redesigned.
My apologies. I still commend you for a great job on it though! :)

kiwimike
Posts: 3657
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by kiwimike » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:30 am

NickThorpe wrote:Hang on, what this? This exciting.

Image
Lovely. I look forward to snapping this up when available :)

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 666
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by Eric » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:21 am

Nice cover, spoiled slightly though by the large GYL.com logo.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest