Bookazines / Specials

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:24 pm

knight_beat wrote:We've not had an Amstrad bookazine before. I seem to recall Darran saying that it wouldn't sell well, but maybe a a combined Amstrad/Spectrum edition would work.
I reckon that's where a 'best of british' could work. Include the lower tier machines, for want of a better term. With the main emphasis on Amstrad which has never had it's own bookazine, and include Oric, Dragon, much like an expanded version of the Hardware guides. Perhaps within it, to fill it, You could have a 'Sinclair Archives' as well (like the Atari/Sega/Nintendo books) covering the company that really kickstarted it. Other elements to a best of british of course would be the bedroom programmer industry, and the key names and games that emerged from that. And to round it off, you'd have to cover the magazine industry that emerged in the UK for the boom. The C&VG, The Sinclair mags, the Crash and Zzaps...

It may not appeal to a mass of US readers (but still a few) but should sell well through the UK and Europe.

Yep, I like to rattle off ideas that mean a lot of work for others. But if you guys make it I'll promise I'll buy it! :)

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:43 am

knight_beat wrote:We've not had an Amstrad bookazine before. I seem to recall Darran saying that it wouldn't sell well, but maybe a a combined Amstrad/Spectrum edition would work.
It would'nt sell to anyone outside CPC fans at all... so I made my own personal copy.
I would rather have seperate Amstrad and Spectrum books as combining any two systems into ine book takes the shine away from both having a dedicated book - The SNES Manual is the perfect format I think.

http://www.parkproductions.co.uk/area/b ... mstrad.htm

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:32 am

Eric wrote:
It would'nt sell to anyone outside CPC fans at all... so I made my own personal copy.
I would rather have seperate Amstrad and Spectrum books as combining any two systems into ine book takes the shine away from both having a dedicated book - The SNES Manual is the perfect format I think.

Really nice job :)

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:12 pm

That's fantastic. Is it spine bound? How did you do that?

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Cheers Kiwimike, was way more work to it than I first thought!

Knight_beat, I think so. Was printed through lulu.com books - very expensive though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:23 am

What about Amstrad CPC with Atari 8-bit?

Amstrad would sell well in the UK but Atari 8-bit would sell well in the US - where it was second most popular 8-bit computer after the C64.

Apparently the A8 was the second most popular 8-bitter in Germany too, again after the C64.

I believe the CPC was top in France and possibly Spain too (although the MSX and Speccy were big there too).

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:07 pm

The Laird wrote:What about Amstrad CPC with Atari 8-bit?

Amstrad would sell well in the UK but Atari 8-bit would sell well in the US - where it was second most popular 8-bit computer after the C64.

Apparently the A8 was the second most popular 8-bitter in Germany too, again after the C64.

I believe the CPC was top in France and possibly Spain too (although the MSX and Speccy were big there too).
Would love an Atari 8 bit special. Even as a Spectrum fanboy it is probably my favourite (non sentimental) home computer. Never owned one until I bought one a few years ago.
Amstrad... not so much.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Eric wrote:

Have you considered a pdf-version of this book?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Can't be distributed freely, as its a compilation of features from RG.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:33 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Can't be distributed freely, as its a compilation of features from RG.
Oh.. I thought it was new content

Sabreman64

Post by Sabreman64 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:41 am

I saw the SNES: The Complete Manual book in the Croydon WHSmith the other day. It looked interesting, but I presume all the material in the book is taken from previous issues of Retro Gamer, correct?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 am

Correct. If you have all the back issues, these bookazines are only interesting if you're a particular fan of the featured systems. Sometimes the articles get a bit of a rework, but generally the content is the same, maybe a few corrections but little if any new information.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:22 am

They are good if like me you've run out of shelf space and want to cull a few of the magazines out and keep the favourites. The Bookazines are terrific for keeping compilations of fave features for fave hardware in smaller spaces. But yes, otherwise more for those that don't collect the mag or completists that want everything :)

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:24 am

Is there a definitive list of specials,bookazines and annuals anywhere (including the varioud updates of certain specials)???

I feel as though I may have missed out on some - especially as they seem to come like the buses - a few at a time..

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Wed May 03, 2017 7:19 pm

I was surprised to discover that Classic Gaming bookazine has received a 3rd volume. I expected Future to cancel the series now they own Retro Gamer, but it seems they're taking a different approach. The 3rd edition contains articles previously published in GamesTM's Retro section. I'm sure I recognise most from the Retro Vol 8 bookazine.

I'm not sure what, if anything, this means for GTM's own Retro bookazine. Hopefully, it won't affect it in the slightest and Future will continue to publish an annual edition during the latter half of the year.