Bookazines / Specials

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:35 am

Snarko wrote:Yeah, have to agree on the high postage costs; I'm in Sweden, not too far away from GB, but I have to pay ~5 pounds postage for a magazine (can be reduced a bit if order several magazines, but not that much). :( With all that said, I anyway have (almost) all the bookzines; impossible to resist them!!
Yeah, it is the freight costs that annoy. Although to be fair to Imagine, freight costs are expensive- And I do have to say their delivery times are fantastic, and the weather proof bubble bags they use are top notch :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:11 am

There's an easy solution to postage costs.

Move to the UK ;)

Are all of these not available in digital format? Not quite the same as a physical copy, but wife friendly. Mine is forever moaning about the piles of mags (and books and games) I have lying around.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:40 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:There's an easy solution to postage costs.

Move to the UK ;)

Are all of these not available in digital format? Not quite the same as a physical copy, but wife friendly. Mine is forever moaning about the piles of mags (and books and games) I have lying around.
You're not wrong Ant :lol:

I have actually thought about getting myself a good e-reader and subscribing, as the physical space does get a bit ridiculous (as well as postage)! I turfed a pile of old bookcases last year, and condensed down to one, decent case. So I limited myself to what fits in that! As you say, happy wife happy life! :wink:
I do like the actual mag of course, but I could never subscribe to that as the space would require throwing or selling ones as the space fills up. A digital sub with the idea of purchasing absolute favourites or selected bookazines in the physical form most likely the way to go :)

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:23 am

How is the digital version nowadays? I don't like proprietary readers that may mean I lose access to the issues in the future. PDF is best, as that format is unlikely to go away anytime soon, but I don't think these are available in that format.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:26 pm

It's that time of year again....

Retro Volume 9

There are two copies in the WH Smith at Milton Keynes, though they look like they've been dragged through a hedge so I'd avoid them.

On a related topic, will we ever see a reprint of the Llamasoft retro guide? It's the only reason I still own GamesTM #147, but seems to have been left out of the Retro bookazines as part of an ongoing Welsh vendetta (or forgotten about, one of the two).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:56 pm

knight_beat wrote:It's that time of year again....

Retro Volume 9

There are two copies in the WH Smith at Milton Keynes, though they look like they've been dragged through a hedge so I'd avoid them.

On a related topic, will we ever see a reprint of the Llamasoft retro guide? It's the only reason I still own GamesTM #147, but seems to have been left out of the Retro bookazines as part of an ongoing Welsh vendetta (or forgotten about, one of the two).
The gamesTM retro books aren't put together by me, and as they're a different magazine I don't have anything to do with the content.
I'll certainly suggest it for a future issue. Glad you liked the article, I was the one that wrote it :)

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Retro Volume 9.
Which reminds me to ask this... what is Retro? Is it basically the same thing as Retro Gamer Collection but for GamesTM? Worth getting in addition to a Retro Gamer subscription, or redundant? (limited shelf space and all that) Thanks!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Mauricio wrote:

Retro Volume 9.
Which reminds me to ask this... what is Retro? Is it basically the same thing as Retro Gamer Collection but for GamesTM? Worth getting in addition to a Retro Gamer subscription, or redundant? (limited shelf space and all that) Thanks!
It's the retro content from GamesTM put inside a bookazine. I don't buy GamesTM so for me these books are a must have.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The gamesTM retro books aren't put together by me, and as they're a different magazine I don't have anything to do with the content.
I'll certainly suggest it for a future issue. Glad you liked the article, I was the one that wrote it :)
Ah, that would explain it's awesomeness! Thanks for raising it with the GTM crew.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:15 pm

And here is a video review of RETRO - Volume 9 for those who haven't taken the plunge yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbRHqtdDRs

8)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:29 am

Well I've just sold a few RG mags from the stack, and bought the N64 and Sega archives Bookazines. It was a tough choice to decide which ones to cull, but sifted through and sold some bundles online with the ultimate goal to reduce to my favourite issues and bookazines, then get a reader and digital sub. Will help allow space for new books and keep the missus happy too :)

3fruits

Post by 3fruits » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:21 pm

A game boy special would be awesome

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

I think there is a fantastic history for a Nintendo one, to go along with the Atari and Sega books :)

I also was thinking perhaps a good set would be bookazines on the different markets. History of the Japanese, UK and US for a start.

And while I'm demanding new bookazines, how about one (or more magazine features at least) on the stand alone gaming industry. The Grandstand games, the Game & watches, the Casio ranges of watches and calculators, the Colecos and so many more. The ones that have been in the mag in the past have been most welcome :)

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:43 pm

Is there going to be an annual volume three out before Christmas?
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:07 pm

Bizarrely, 3 copies of RG Annual Vol 2 reappeared in the WH Smith at Euston station today. I assume it's old stock rather than a reprint.