Bookazines / Specials

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Bookazines / Specials

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:22 am

greenberet79 wrote:Is the Sega one new? Looks good!

Yes indeedy, was out this week! I am torn due to post costs but it does look a great volume for sure :)

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:08 am

Has anyone seen the Sega Archives out in the wild e.g. WHSmiths?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:54 am

AceGrace wrote:Has anyone seen the Sega Archives out in the wild e.g. WHSmiths?
WHSmiths take a while to get books on shelves, so you might find it hard to find at the moment.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:39 am

Always seems to be the case. These bookazines are hard to find in the shops.

Where else might stock it?

russty_russ

Post by russty_russ » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:17 pm

My local WH Smith had them in today but unfortunately the three copies that were there had the spines battered so I don't really fancy paying a tenner for a damaged bookazine so the hunt goes on elsewhere.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Got that Sega Archives bookazine today, very nice indeed... One thing I wish was included in the bookazines though are those "And the rest" bits (or whatever they're called), a double page spread of maybe fifty numbered screenshots. Always nice to look at.

Other than that, a very nice thing indeed, should get me through the rest of the summer.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Still haven't seen the sega archives anywhere. Anyone else near manchester spotted it?

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:17 pm

They had four of them in the Liverpool One WH Smith's today... A 40 minute train ride from Manchester :wink:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:They had four of them in the Liverpool One WH Smith's today... A 40 minute train ride from Manchester :wink:
Don't tempt me lol, in 2 weeks I have a day to myself but no car.

Can't decide if I should do arcade club or go somwhere on the train

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:24 am

kiwimike wrote:
bensonrad wrote:My Sega one arrived today, but appears to be a used read copy?!! not happy to say the least.
Really? Perhaps the postie had a read :lol:

Seriously though, you're buying a new bookazine, if you feel it isn't in a mint/new condition, IMO you have grounds to question it and perhaps get a replacement.
quote]

I did photo it, to complain, but can't find who I am supposed to complain to about it! The cover was all bent across the spine, where it has been read, and the back corner was damaged too, I order 3 other books at the same time, those were all minty fresh and in the same envelope, so it definetly came from the Imagine Publishing warehouse or where ever they come from.

Had a promo email this morning, that quite a few of the books are now on Sale, so have picked up a few, hopefully they will be mint.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:58 pm

They had 2 of the Sega archives in my local Smiths tempted to buy it for the Shinobi and Golden Axe articles alone
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Imagine has some terrific online Bookazine specials at the moment. I went to get the Sega book but bought the '80s Sci fi bookazine instead as it was 1.99! So will have to head back and get the Sega one in a couple of weeks, stock permitting :)

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:06 pm

kiwimike wrote:Imagine has some terrific online Bookazine specials at the moment. I went to get the Sega book but bought the '80s Sci fi bookazine instead as it was 1.99! So will have to head back and get the Sega one in a couple of weeks, stock permitting :)
The sales are nice, except the international shipping cost usually makes it a tough call. Is it reasonable for you all the way in NZ?

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:38 am

Mauricio wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Imagine has some terrific online Bookazine specials at the moment. I went to get the Sega book but bought the '80s Sci fi bookazine instead as it was 1.99! So will have to head back and get the Sega one in a couple of weeks, stock permitting :)
The sales are nice, except the international shipping cost usually makes it a tough call. Is it reasonable for you all the way in NZ?

Yeah, you're not wrong, that is the main issue with buying the magazines/bookazines from the store. The cost of the items themselves are fine, it's the postage that makes it a killer. The sci fi 80s mag was 1.99, but the post on top was over 9.00 pounds. So total cost made it around $21 NZ. When the book is on that kind of special, it makes it an easy choice!!! But when you are paying top price, it certainly makes you think hard as to whether to buy. The Sega bookazine with post on top is around 19 quid, making the cost around $37-38 when converted back, depending on exchange rate. Painful! So totally feel your pain with international postage to consider :)

Snarko

Post by Snarko » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:12 am

Yeah, have to agree on the high postage costs; I'm in Sweden, not too far away from GB, but I have to pay ~5 pounds postage for a magazine (can be reduced a bit if order several magazines, but not that much). :( With all that said, I anyway have (almost) all the bookzines; impossible to resist them!!