Retro Gamer - Issue 144

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Retro Gamer - Issue 144

Post by The Laird » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:22 am

In This Month's Issue:

From The Archives: Gamestar
In The Chair: David Darling
The Making Of: Diddy Kong Racing
Bluffer's Guide: Marvel Super Hero Games
Classic Moments: Granny's Garden
The Making Of: Magic The Gathering
Top 25 Xbox Games
Ultimate Guide: 1942
Minority Report: PlayStation
The Making Of: Fire Track
A Moment With: Jesse McClure
Peripheral Vision: VMU
Ultimate Guide: Dig Dug
Odyssey: Gaming Starts Here
The Making Of: Wonderboy III The Dragon's Trap

& Much Much More!

Eric

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 144

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:07 pm

My picks of the month are:-
Back To July 1998
From The Archives Gamestar
In The Chair David Darling
Making of Firetrack & Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Retroinspection Magnavox Odyssey

Is the "Just A Score" here to stay? The score graphic looks out of place in the Homebrew & Retro Rated, ruins the overall look of those articles and is just an advert really.
Also those pretend circle stickers and circle quotes are back in force and obscuring the screenshots!

Richard Burtons's little joke about a 10 year retrospective news article raised a chuckle!

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the Gamestar piece, loved reading more about FireTrack and as ever Marty's in-depth Magnavox piece was excellent.

Although that photo of Nick Pelling and Jon Hare is actually from 2001 (an early Back in Time event).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:10 pm

In the questions to David Darling bit, Hiro asked a question about the C16 and the answer is about the Spectrum?
I'm guessing Gremlins but do you have Davids actual answer to Hiros question?

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:29 pm

merman wrote:Although that photo of Nick Pelling and Jon Hare is actually from 2001 (an early Back in Time event).
I haven't got my issue in hand yet, but I'm guessing it's this one? https://www.flickr.com/photos/mayhemers ... 584825106/

If so, I don't recall anyone asking me if it was alright to use the photo. I don't mind, but it's nice to be asked (which you did Andrew when wanting to use the Simon Nicol photo I took). Who wrote the Firetrack piece out of interest? Obviously if it's someone I know really well, it isn't so important ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:52 pm

PostieDoc wrote:In the questions to David Darling bit, Hiro asked a question about the C16 and the answer is about the Spectrum?
I'm guessing Gremlins but do you have Davids actual answer to Hiros question?
The answer threw me too, must be for another question definetly. Also the Five To Play screenshot for Dizzy shows the Micro Machines screen shot instead. Really interesting article and answers from David. What's Richard up to these days?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:54 am

Good issue for me this month. Love 1942. That article looks great. Magnavox article looks interesting. Wonderboy - love it. More arcade stuff with dig dug. Must admit not a fan of magic the gathering so I'll skip that

Top 25 xbox games looks good (looking forward to pc engine next mo th)
Superheroes article another good un
Diddy Kong racing looks good
Game star article looks great. Love american sports but their footbal game was dire. Loved Barry mcguigans though. Good article
Not a fan of David darling due to this denied games ;)

Looking forward to next months issue due to soace harrier. Good issue for me this month

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:39 am

Eric wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:Also the Five To Play screenshot for Dizzy shows the Micro Machines screen shot instead. Really interesting article and answers from David. What's Richard up to these days?
That was my fault. I moved all the entries around so they would be in order of release. I then forgot to swap every picture!

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:13 am

Mayhem wrote:
merman wrote:Although that photo of Nick Pelling and Jon Hare is actually from 2001 (an early Back in Time event).
I haven't got my issue in hand yet, but I'm guessing it's this one? https://www.flickr.com/photos/mayhemers ... 584825106/

If so, I don't recall anyone asking me if it was alright to use the photo. I don't mind, but it's nice to be asked (which you did Andrew when wanting to use the Simon Nicol photo I took). Who wrote the Firetrack piece out of interest? Obviously if it's someone I know really well, it isn't so important ;)
Mayhem, you don't know me. My name is Paul Drury and I have long been an admirer of your fiery shirt. I am very very sorry for using a photo you took. Mr Pelling sent me that photo back in 2006 when I interviewed him for a DID piece and like the fool I am, I thought it was 'his' photo and okay to use. This is silly as clearly he is in the photo and selfie sticks had not been invented back in the olden days. I am also a silly billy for saying the photo was 'circa 1990' not 'circa 2000' because I misunderstood what Mr Pelling told me back in 2006 and stupidly didn't clarify it when I came to reuse the photo a decade later. Good spot Merman.

Mayhem, by way of apology, I do have some pictures of you in a compromising position with a Vic20, secretly snapped at a RetroVision event. I am happy to destroy these. Or frame them for you, whichever you choose. I will also throw in two photos of me wearing nothing but a tuft of Flossie the sheep's wool to hide my modesty.

Will this do?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:51 am

DRS wrote:
Mayhem wrote:

Mayhem, you don't know me. My name is Paul Drury and I have long been an admirer of your fiery shirt. I am very very sorry for using a photo you took. Mr Pelling sent me that photo back in 2006 when I interviewed him for a DID piece and like the fool I am, I thought it was 'his' photo and okay to use. This is silly as clearly he is in the photo and selfie sticks had not been invented back in the olden days. I am also a silly billy for saying the photo was 'circa 1990' not 'circa 2000' because I misunderstood what Mr Pelling told me back in 2006 and stupidly didn't clarify it when I came to reuse the photo a decade later. Good spot Merman.

Mayhem, by way of apology, I do have some pictures of you in a compromising position with a Vic20, secretly snapped at a RetroVision event. I am happy to destroy these. Or frame them for you, whichever you choose. I will also throw in two photos of me wearing nothing but a tuft of Flossie the sheep's wool to hide my modesty.

Will this do?
Classic :lol:

RetroVision has a lot to answer for!!!! :mrgreen:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:27 am

Paul, please destroy the pictures. Some things are not meant to be seen.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:40 am

So I open the mag on the 1942 piece and the page literally disintigrates in my hand (large chunk of the bottom-right corner comes off). What's going on with the paper quality chaps?

On the plus side there's a Making of Firetrack...

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:48 am

jdanddiet wrote:Paul, please destroy the pictures. Some things are not meant to be seen.
Yes, I heartily agree :lol:

Now you mention it, I vaguely recall Nick asking me about the photo way in the past, so I suspect I said it was okay to him if he wanted to use it. I really need to see if I can find the originals I took from those early BIT Live events and scan them at full resolution instead of the tiny images I had leftover from my old website (prior to moving them to Flickr). Anyhow, nothing to see here folks (I hope!). I shall look forward to reading the Firetrack piece when I get the magazine in my hands ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:55 am

Nice to see Granny's Garden get a mention. It's one of those games we played all the time in primary school, yet I couldn't tell you anything about it

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:53 am

mikeb wrote:So I open the mag on the 1942 piece and the page literally disintigrates in my hand (large chunk of the bottom-right corner comes off). What's going on with the paper quality chaps?
Yes, it feels especially cheap this month :(