From The Forum 144 - Best Yu Suzuki game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Churchy

Re: From The Forum 144 - Best Yu Suzuki game

Post by Churchy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:48 am

Shenmue. It captured a magic and spirit into a narrative, made a world where everything felt alive and made it so that everything continued regardless of my actions. It tied it all together into a multi-faceted adventure which is far more influential then people realise.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Oh, strewth - what a choice. But it has to be Outrun. Definitely. No, wait it's Space Harrier. Of course. Er..., no, it's Super Hang-On, surely? No? Then it must be....

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Unfortunately we've already spoken to him and didn't think of asking that. He has confirmed that he definitely borrowed the luck dragon from The Neverending Story for the bonus stage.
Sounds like bits of this were also borrowed for Outrun's Magical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkrOczxOIuY That being so, he's certainly made a far more entertaining job of it than the original bits ever were!

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:15 am

Outrun for me the original one. An iconic game, that is still talked about today, and recognised by all, even if they are not fans, its a bit like the Hulk Hogan of arcade games, (he is still recognised even if you are not a wrestling fan). Gameplay is awesome, music is awesome, arcade cabs of it are awesome.

Just noticed Yu Suzuki also produced Propeller Arena on the Dreamcast (cancelled game), did not realise that.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:15 pm

Virtua Fighter, the start of the best fighting game series there has ever been

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:51 am

Powerdrift. Jaws were dropped when I first saw the cab in my local Arcade. It still makes my jaw hurt to this day. Incredible for its time.

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Shenmue 1 or 2, Outrun 2 are my top picks. But does anyone remember Outrigger on the Dreamcast? A hidden gem for the system for sure.
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Well there are so many to choose from but I will also plump for Fighters Megamix on the Saturn (Suzuki was the producer according to Wiki). Still one of the ultimate fighters with superb AM2 fan service.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:21 am

Outrun is vastly better to play, but Space Harrier was a step up for all arcade games. Its visual impact was enormous and made me despair of ever being able to afford a home computer that could begin to replicate it.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:02 pm

Outrun. Every arcade racer ever made should have Magical sound shower as part of the soundtrack.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:48 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Outrun. Every arcade racer ever made should have Magical sound shower as part of the soundtrack.
Every arcade racer? Don't you mean every game? 8)

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Despite all the wonderful games he has made, nothing was as ground breaking as Shenmue was, and you could feel the love that went into it.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:47 pm

outrun, played it for the first time when I was 7. as a car loving kid that dreamed of being able to drive but had another 10 years before I could apply for a license it was the nearest I could get to pressing peddles, turning a steering wheel and actually having an impact in how something behaved that wasnt a remote control car. No outrun would probably have meant I would have found a different hobby a few years later

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Space Harrier - spectacular gameplay, beautifully bright fantasy creatures and an awesome soundtrack, and then there was that amazing moving cabinet that everyone said was hydraulic (when it wasn't).

I actually built a Uriah dragon out of LEGO - he runs around on wiggly train tracks and ripples up and down in segments. I once showed it to the multi-millionaire owner of the LEGO Group and he loved it. Nice bloke.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:29 am

Space harrier for me