From The Forum 144 - Best Yu Suzuki game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

From The Forum 144 - Best Yu Suzuki game

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:22 am

This month we'd like to know what your favourite Yu Suzuki game is and why.

greenberet79

Re: From The Forum 144

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:06 am

Easy - OutRun 2. Brought up-to-date a classic game which was really showing its age. Managed to keep the fun and spirit of the original while at the same time injecting it with great graphics, updated music and sounds and some cracking tracks. A real exhilerating rush. Hard to believe it's so 'old' now.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:10 am

Out of all the amazing games he has done nothing else has come close to the impact that the original OutRun made. From the gorgeous blue sky visuals to the sublime soundtrack everything about this game was just perfect. The first time I played it in an arcade on holiday I was just blown away.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:18 am

Going to have to go with the game that mixed two of my favourite mid 90's fighters; 'Fighters Megamix' + You can fight as the Daytona Hornet! 8)

Antiriad2097

Re: From The Forum 144 - Best Yu Suzuki game

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:33 am

Out of all the amazing games he has done nothing else has come close to the impact that the original Space Harrier made. From the gorgeous blue sky visuals to the sublime soundtrack everything about this game was just perfect. The first time I played it in an arcade I was just blown away.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:16 am

The original Space Harrier for me. Big hydraulic cab version with booming speakers. Epic, epic arcade heaven.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 am

Without a shadow of a doubt OutRun 2, probably one of the best arcade racers ever.

From the classic 80s/90s era it's got to be Power Drift, big, chunky colourful fun, especially in the sit down hydraulic cab.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:31 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Out of all the amazing games he has done nothing else has come close to the impact that the original Space Harrier made. From the gorgeous blue sky visuals to the sublime soundtrack everything about this game was just perfect. The first time I played it in an arcade I was just blown away.
Isn't that The Laird's quote?
Hah. I've just noticed the name change. Very good.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:45 am

I'm going to be the guy who says Hang-On, because I got to play it in an arcade on the full motorcycle cabinet where you had to lean to get it round corners, which was awesome, except I was only about 7 at the time and didn't have enough weight to tilt the bike properly. Still brilliant though.

If you speak to him, ask if he based the famous Space Harrier theme on the theme tune to Blakes 7, it is basically the same tune just faster...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:46 am

Unfortunately we've already spoken to him and didn't think of asking that. He has confirmed that he definitely borrowed the luck dragon from The Neverending Story for the bonus stage.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Shenmue for me.

Not much can be said about the game but on a personal level I spent hours playing it back in the day. I loved how you could wander round during the day and night doing things like collecting the toy capsules and music tapes or play on the arcade machines and consoles at the house. I also enjoyed the fork lift truck section as I just found it to be relaxing and it added to the immersion when playing the game.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:21 pm

The original Outrun. It's, quite simply, a work of art.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:38 pm

Outrun 2; a game that's pure joy to play - and unlike 99% of arcade games, completable by most people with only a little practice.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

dCoding

Post by dCoding » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Treguard wrote:ask if he based the famous Space Harrier theme on the theme tune to Blakes 7, it is basically the same tune just faster...
I'm a huge Blake's 7 fan, but have only played Space Harrier on the humble Speccy. I just went and listened to the theme on YouTube and you're right - it's remarkably similar! I love bits of info like that. :)

To keep it on topic, I would have to say Out Run, as it was a seriously impressive arcade cab that I drooled over as a 10 year old more used to 8-bit visuals. I also "got" it, it was a pure racer, nothIng my younger self had to bother working out how to play - just get in and drive as fast as you can! The real shame of it was that, at what I think was 50p a go at the time, I could only ever afford a couple of plays per visit.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:05 pm

Out Run. Driving a Ferrari in wonderful landscapes with a girl on your side and listening to gorgeous music is a fantastic experience now as it was almost 30 years ago. I wish there were more racers like that nowadays.

And while several of his games feature great music, you can't beat Magical Sound Shower.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark