Retro Gamer - Issue 143

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

Retro Gamer - Issue 143

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:15 pm

In this issue:

25 year Legacy: F-Zero
The Making Of: Xenophobe
Top 25 Atari ST Games
Desert Island Disks: Dave Lowe
Ultimate Guide: Master Of Darkness
From The Archives: Black Isle Studios
Classic Moments: Tusker
25 Year Anniversary: Amstrad GX4000
The Making Of: Dungeon Keeper
Minority Report: PC Engine CD
Future Classic: Blur
A Moment With: Devin Monnens
The Making Of: Max Payne
Peripheral Vision: Sega Light Phaser

& Much much more!

flatapex

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 143

Post by flatapex » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:32 pm

And a pic of me and the wife (play Blackpool feature)

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:00 pm

I like the cover, very colourful without looking cluttered.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Love the Cover, and love the F-zero feature. Can't wait to get into it.

Amstrad Gx4000 was a nice surprise as I was unaware that there was an article about it this month.

Future classics has made me wnat to go back and finish the last few races on Blur.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:24 pm

Based on the list of contents in the first post I'm mostly interested in the "The Making Of: Xenophobe" article. Nothing else that seems interesting this month.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:04 pm

Love the cover, really took me back to that wonderful time in April 1992 and the SNES launch, a really good issue all round, always good to see more of the PC Engine, Max Payne was a great read, makes me want to go back and finish the game off, yet another title I started, enjoyed, but did not finish.

Excellent article on Xenophobe from the Laird, a real favourite of mine, loved it on the Spectrum, then went onto the beyond superb Lynx version, and have recently been enjoying the 7800 one, would really like to try some of the other versions too now, the piece really got the whole story behind the title, I will appreciate it even more now, so thanks Kieren.

Top 25 titles for the ST, just brought back so many memories, really have to track down Oids, but along with Vroom, it is just not easy to get hold of anymore for the real hardware, one copy on the net at the moment, but I ain't paying £80 for it.

The GX4000 was another great piece, it's a console i have only recently got hold of, only managed to get a couple of games for it, as the best ones go for insane money, always wanted one back in the day, purely for the look of it.

Making of Dungeon Keeper, yet another game I played to death years ago, and once again very interesting how it came together.

Also like this peripheral vision, the Master System phaser is the only one I still use regularly.

An awesome issue, congratulations to all.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:23 am

Hmm, not a lot of 8 bit or arcade stuff this month, think I'll give this issue a miss :(

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:12 am

fredghostmaster wrote:Hmm, not a lot of 8 bit or arcade stuff this month, think I'll give this issue a miss :(
Repton ???]

Anyway happy to get the new issue. Good to see a Speccy fan on Collectors corner. Never had a SNES so i wasnt caught up in the F-Zero hype but do enjoy playing that via emulation.

Xenophobe, looks good, never got into this on the Speccy but i'll read the article and probably give it another go for sure. Looks good
Repton - Love this old classic, got this on my iphone, prefer the retro graphics for sure ! A classic game.
Top 25 Atari ST games - Never had an ST, had an Amiga but obviously recognise most of the names. Seems a decent list
Master of Darkness - Dont think i've played this, i'll give it a go later
Amstrad GX 4000 - On paper looks alright but yeah seems like it was a major flop
Dungeon Keeper - Never got into this back in the 90's, again i'll give the article a go and see if it chahges my mind
Max Payne - Never had this on PC, completed it on my iphone, a great game
Black Isle Studios - Love their games, classics. Looking forward to this
David Lowe interview - looks good

Next month looks good, looking forward to 1942 and Dig Dug. Good issue for me, lots of content and variety

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:04 pm

Wow, another issue packed with variety. F-Zero article was great, loved all the Making Ofs and Repton has long been a favourite of mine.

Just one minor point - the C64GS did not "add" a cartridge port. The C64 always had one. The GS moved it to the top of the machine.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Just one minor gripe, I found it very hard to read the writing by the screenshots in the Dungeon Keeper article.
Last edited by PostieDoc on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:21 pm

PostieDoc wrote:Just one minor gripe, I found it very hard to ready the writing by the screenshots in the Dungeon Keeper article.
I've had this problem for months on some articles.
I've put it down to colour schemes, smaller fonts, failing eyesight, poorer print quality, but I really struggle to read the photo captions. Surely if they can waste 2 whole pages with pictures of every space craft ever in F-Zero (especially when they all look the same but with different colours) then they can make the font a bit bigger. It must be about size 4 in the font size world.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Guy that featured in the GX4000 article has just doen a follow up video on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEG6QyAcIA

showing all the games.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Contents:-
A Moment With Devin Monnens
Back To June 1998
Classic Moments Tusker
Desert Island Disks David Lowe
EndGame No One Can Stop... Mr Domino
Features F-Zero: A Racing Revolution 25 Years, Peripheral Vision: Master System Light Phaser, Top 25 Atari ST Games, Amstrad GX4000: 25 Years on
From The Archives Black Isle Studios
Future Classic #51 Blur
History of Repton
Homebrew GameJolt 2015, JBiplane, Matilda Castle, Kaboom!, Mr Angry Dude, Break 64, Lander 2, Vade Retro
Making of Xenophobe, Dungeon Keeper, Max Payne
Minority Report PC Engine CD: Akumajou Dracula X: Chi No Rondo, Galaxy Deka Gayvan, Motteke Tamago
Readers Revival Rebel
Retro Revival Powerplay: The Game of the Gods, Stryker's Run, Body Blows
Talking Shop Games You Loved
Ultimate Guide #31 Master of Darkness

143 issues contents:-http://www.parkproductions.co.uk/area/m ... ogamer.htm
Image Image Image Image

quantum

Post by quantum » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:50 pm

Eric wrote:Image
Nice work! :D

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:19 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:Hmm, not a lot of 8 bit or arcade stuff this month, think I'll give this issue a miss :(
Apart from Repton (8-bit), GX4000 (8-bit), Light Phaser (8-bit), Master Of Darkness (8-bit), Xenophobe (arcade and 8-bit), Tusker (8-bit), Stryker's Run and Powerplay (8-bit) you mean? :wink: