From The Forum Issue 143 - F-Zero

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

theantmeister

Re: From The Forum Issue 143 - F-Zero

Post by theantmeister » Tue May 19, 2015 3:45 am

I never really got into F-Zero until F-Zero X on the N64. The SNES game is good, but I greatly prefer the N64 one.

Everyone who loves the soundtrack should check out my friend Paul's medley on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSLsLamtguE

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 19, 2015 4:11 am

It's not a game I played when it came out originally, but they had a load of SNES games on the entertainment system for Singapore Airlines for a few years and it was a good one for whiling away a few hours on a long haul flight. It wasn't quite in the domain of sim racers but I appreciated the fact that you'd regularly get flogged on all but the easiest tracks until you'd committed the racing line to memory.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue May 19, 2015 4:51 pm

It was one of those games where everything just clicked and worked together for me, Graphics, Gameplay, Music, and just the art style of the characters and Vehicles.

I own the PAL, US, and japanese versions of the Snes, N64, and Gamecube games.3 versions of each game. Why, I have no idea but they just always survivr my clearouts as I cant bear to get rid of any of them.

3fruits

Post by 3fruits » Wed May 20, 2015 8:50 am

A wonderful game, my third super Nintendo purchase. completed all bar the hardest league. programmed to be hard to beat. the sattellaview added more content.
further hacks added 2 player and a F zero 2 on the SNES also a hack that is wonderful and bloody hard.

some would argue the n64 version was by far the best in terms of game play and the GameCube for graphics but my favourites Re the original.

recently we had f zero ax arcade, which was incredible later found to be a hidden game inside the game cube version accessible by a cheat mode.
however AX has recently been emulated and great fun to play.

Wil

Post by Wil » Sun May 24, 2015 7:07 am

Seeing F-Zero (and SMW) in ACE consoles in London in November 1990 was bit of a revelation and was the point that saw me move over from computers (the Amiga, at the time) to Japanese consoles. Fab music and great, arcade-style racing that I can still happily play today (although the N64's F-Zero X is my fave version).

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun May 24, 2015 12:08 pm

Found in a Club Sega in Akihabara, Tokyo back in 2011:

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue May 26, 2015 10:39 am

Loved the speed and mode 7, hated slamming into walls constantly though maybe I was just rubbish?

Churchy

Post by Churchy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:56 pm

A little late, but why not join in the fun?

For me, I find it hilariously defeating when your machine blows up in the SNES version. There's no music, you just blow up and look on in silence at the burning wreckage of your explosive death whilst the words "You lost" fill your heart with failure.

Whilst I love the SNES version and GX, the N64 entry in the series is my favourite. I find the gameplay to be the most fun and I love the way the game is presented, from the character illustrations to the traditional heavy metal soundtrack.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:55 am

sscott wrote:Loved the speed and mode 7, hated slamming into walls constantly though maybe I was just rubbish?

Afraid you were :wink: although strategic wall bouncing was the key to getting good lap times

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:18 am

The original is a great old game but I prefer F-Zero X over it and the Gamecube version.

The introduction of the boost/shield meter was a stroke of genius. And that big aggressive pack was introduced in X too.