From The Forum Issue 143 - F-Zero

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From The Forum Issue 143 - F-Zero

Post by NickThorpe » Tue May 12, 2015 10:25 am

Good afternooning, all of you! The time has come, once again. What time? From the forum time! As ever, a selection of answers will appear in the mag.

Let's talk about F-Zero this month. What do you love (or hate) about the futuristic racing game that launched the SNES?

merman

Re: From The Forum Issue 143 - F-Zero

Post by merman » Tue May 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Loved the music, really enjoyed most of the courses... But there were times when that dastardly AI seemed to know exactly where to place themselves in a corner to really inconvenience you.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue May 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Excellent title that provided a great sense of speed, also made good use of mode 7. I loved some of the jumps you could make which could help you to cut out large parts of the track..

Eat your nans pants

dste

Post by dste » Tue May 12, 2015 7:16 pm

I think the thing I like most is the simplicity of it all, just pick a hovercar and race.

No weapons, power-ups etc just good solid and mostly fun racing.

The Mode 7 still looks good and the music is catchy as hell as well.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:25 pm

I really liked how pink the SNES version was.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue May 12, 2015 9:15 pm

Fire Field on Master... a real test of speed versus energy management! :twisted:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed May 13, 2015 4:52 am

It was the first SNES game that I played and boy did it make Mega Drive owner me jealous :lol:
The graphics and sheer speed of the game just blew me away and the music... wow! It took me a few years to appreciate it but the music just fits perfectly and is incredibly catchy :mrgreen:

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:54 am

F-Zero was a christmas present from my family as a child, and it was the first game that earned my apprection for music in video games, for F-Zero has one of the best, if not the best soundtrack of any 16 bit game. It was also one of the Snes games that boasted the greater colour palette than the Super Nintendo was known for. As a result, it made a lot of Mega Drive owners envious.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Thu May 14, 2015 10:48 am

Owning a Megadrive at the time it was released and thinking I'd made a huge mistake when I seen how smooth and fast it was, I had never seen anything like that before!

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Fri May 15, 2015 10:21 am

I'll be honest...

Never played it!

Is it a good game?

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri May 15, 2015 10:44 am

yakmag wrote:I'll be honest...

Never played it!

Is it a good game?
It's been so long since I played it but I do remember playing it lots when I finally bought a snes.

Being in mode 7, it kinda felt like you were controlling the track rather than your vehicle but you soon adjusted.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:03 pm

It moves like lightening... however its one of those games I'd rather watch someone else play, because I am hopeless at it.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat May 16, 2015 10:04 am

I remember going into Dixons shortly after it was released and seeing it running on a massive TV screen. It looked incredible, and it was immediately obvious this new machine was far more advanced than any other console on the market, and I had to have one.

Ryan_McN

Post by Ryan_McN » Sun May 17, 2015 11:35 am

My mate owned F-Zero, and I can remember the scenery outside of some tracks looking like a pixelated mess. It was only recently I found out that this mess was supposed to be a city. Still, really good game but a little too repetitive.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:26 pm

Just a few screen shots of F-Zero made me delay getting a Megadrive, and then having to patiently wait 18 months for the UK Snes launch, the big day was April 11th 1992.

I had to buy F-Zero and Super Tennis in Boots without the console as they had sold out, bought the console in Woolworths, and then the plug from Dixons, who initially refused to stock the console and games, that was a real run around, got back to my Grans where I was staying for the weekend, and then fired up F-Zero.

I have to say I hated it for the first hour or so, just could not control the craft at all, just weaved all over the shop, then like all the best games it just seemed to click, and I could at last enjoy the game I had waited so long for.

The incredible soundtrack, and sheer feeling of speed, and then going through the tracks shaving tenths off the lap times, going on to discover tricks like using the booster on parts of the track that normally slowed you down, to take the shortest route, or the silence track where you could hit a jump while boosting, then steer violently to the left and over the scenery to land back down to cut out a huge part of the track, my lap time went down from 2.44 to 2.18 if I remember correctly.

An amazing game that I still play regularly today, and one of the few carts I have bothered to replace the battery on.