Game screenshots for various systems please

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ianpmarks

Re: Game screenshots for various systems please

Post by ianpmarks » Sat May 09, 2015 4:50 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:If you're comparing versions of a game, then screenshots from various systems is pretty much a necessity. If however it is just an article about a certain game in general terms, then for me it doesn't matter which machine shots are featured; otherwise where do you stop, especially if a game was released on lots of systems? I'd rather have more space devoted to the writing of the article than trying to get in screenshots of all the different formats, unless there's a good reason to do so.
I have to say that I have a different opinion here. I think the pictures make the article. All too often an article about a game, or series of games will mention a version, say how really important the game is - but not actually show a screenshot of the game they've just said is crucial to understand the genre.

Also lately some of the screenshots are really, really small. Were they always this small? Also this month one of the screenshots (was it for one of the Super Off Road versions - maybe not) had writing over half of it.

sturt

Post by sturt » Mon May 11, 2015 4:43 pm

More screenshots. Less pages with a single large photo of someones head.

Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » Tue May 12, 2015 3:36 am

sturt wrote:More screenshots. Less pages with a single large photo of someones head.
This. Please.
:Visit now!:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue May 12, 2015 4:12 am

Another vote along the lines of most in the topic. I love a cross system range of decent sized screenshots in a feature. I really enjoy 'the game across the systems' comparisons where a screenshot with accompanying opinion piece on each

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue May 12, 2015 5:03 am

Gryzor wrote:
sturt wrote:More screenshots. Less pages with a single large photo of someones head.
This. Please.
If you're reviewing to the in the chairs/desert island dissks then that isnt going to happen.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Sat May 16, 2015 7:00 am

Toatally agree with this but I also understand the time constraints. As a CPC lover it can be very frustrating seeing only speccy and c64 shots and comparisons.

Skrunch

Post by Skrunch » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:01 pm

Perhaps the wrong place to post this but rather than two, two page single screenshot spreads have one two page spread and one showing off graphics off all the different versions of a game released.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:43 am

Skrunch wrote:Perhaps the wrong place to post this but rather than two, two page single screenshot spreads have one two page spread and one showing off graphics off all the different versions of a game released.
The double-page spreads have featured multiple screens or maps in the past.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube