From The Forum Issue 142

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

From The Forum Issue 142

Post by NickThorpe » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi guys, it's time to speak your brains once more with the chance of appearing in the Mailbag pages. This time: What's your favourite shoot-'em-up?

This one's a really hard one for me, as I got heavily into the genre as a teenager. For sentimental reasons, it's probably Border Down - despite the fact that it doesn't play tremendously similarly, it took me right back to childhood days of struggling through R-Type on the Master System. The fact that it looked great was the icing on the cake.

gman72

Re: From The Forum Issue 142

Post by gman72 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Super Aleste on the Snes is a fave of mine. Fast paced and great weapons.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Sol Feace that came bundled with the Mega-CD. The excellent music and anime cutscenes were fresh and new at the time as was the voice reading the intro story. A nice feature was that of being able to lock your two independently aiming guns and that of the game being very easy to get in to for us non shoot'em-up experts.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:02 pm

Extremely hard choice but I am going to say Blazing Lazers on the TurboGrafx, the PC Engine probably has the best selection of shoot 'em ups of any console and this stands out for me as the best of the bunch. I should probably give an honourable mention Raiden too.

deKay

Post by deKay » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:46 pm

I was never a big fan of shoot 'em ups, but for many years I had a soft spot for Sol Feace (also called Sol Peace and Sol Deace) for the MegaCD. I think it was because of the way you could power up your three (directionable) guns separately. I liked Project X for the Amiga too, although using space to select powerups meant putting the machine on the floor and using it as a foot pedal.

Recently I really got into 3D Fantasy Zone for the 3DS. Utterly superb game.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:19 pm

Battle Squadron on the Amiga. Glorious blaster, could have been mistaken for an arcade game of the time.

On the podium, Wings of Death on the Amiga (mainly because of Jochen Hippel's music) and Enforcer on the C64.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Modern day would be Gradius V for PS2, beautiful.

If we are talking retro then it's probably the original Gradius, iirc it was the first shooter I played and got addicted to.There's tons of others I love as well, but it's Gradius for pure nostalgia.

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:15 am

Easy for me. I don't really like Shoot-em-ups but fell in love with Delta on the C64. I know there are a lot of memory moments in the game but it had fantastic graphics, the best sound track to any game ever and was a game that made me want to return for more.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:38 am

It has to be R-Type in the arcade. The weapons, controls and amazing level and creature design still stand out and are what everyone wanted to copy.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:48 am

I never played that many shoot em ups as a kid...
The first one I properly played and enjoyed was Ikaruga on the Dreamcast. The ship polarity system really sucked me in and got me hooked + it looked stunning on VGA

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:43 am

Erm, blurble... this is SUCH an easy choice. Not. Armalyte (C64), R-Type (arcade), Flying Shark (arcade)... I'm going to plump for Area 88 (aka UN Squadron) on the SNES, because it took a reasonable arcade machine and turned the dial up to 11 improving it for the home version. Sure there's a bit of slow-down but it's a terrific shooter that isn't easy to push over.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:44 am

By a fair distance, it has to be UN Squadron on the super nintendo. Fantastic graphics and music, and a nice little upgrade system where you can save up to buy different planes with different abilities that suited different levels that added a nice little layer of strategy.

Plus I was so bored of space shooters it was great to such a nice looking game based on real world planes and backgrounds. Best shooter ever.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:11 am

Axelay - A jaw dropper. Stunning environments, amazing graphics with a mixture of vertical/horizontal stages, topped off with one of the best 16-bit soundtracks to date. Although a little on the easy side, it's a shoot em up not be missed by anyone.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:26 am

Megadrive - Gynoug or Bio Hazard Battle.
Thoughts and prayers.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:36 am

Does the submarine level from Super Mario Land count? Love that stage.