Retro Gamer - Issue 141

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 141

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 pm

It was used to simulate retractions.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:50 pm

Enjoyed the issue... best one for a while.

My only real comment was that I disagree with the author of the Licensed Games article that Simpsons Hit and Run was a bad game. Granted it was a complete rip off of GTA, but I thought it was done rather well, and really gave a sense of being in the Simpsons. I really enjoyed it as a game... or perhaps it was just me?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:40 pm

ianpmarks wrote:Enjoyed the issue... best one for a while.

My only real comment was that I disagree with the author of the Licensed Games article that Simpsons Hit and Run was a bad game. Granted it was a complete rip off of GTA, but I thought it was done rather well, and really gave a sense of being in the Simpsons. I really enjoyed it as a game... or perhaps it was just me?
Nope, me too, I'm a big fan of hit and run, much prefer it to the faux gangsterism of gta
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 am

jdanddiet wrote:

Nope, me too, I'm a big fan of hit and run, much prefer it to the faux gangsterism of gta
Yeah it was a great game with some brill humour and fun driving. Might have to get a copy again actually.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:38 am

I had hit and run on the GC and really rather enjoyed it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:16 pm

It's worth noting that it's just the author's opinion. I quite like it, but personally it's not a patch on Crazy Taxi for me.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's worth noting that it's just the author's opinion. I quite like it, but personally it's not a patch on Crazy Taxi for me.
I think you are thinking of Simpsons Road Rage here, which is a so so Crazy Taxi rip off.
Simpsons Hit and Run is a GTA rip off, but a really good fun one.

I'm aware it is one authors opinion, but I can't believe it is an opinion shared by many... it really is quite a good game.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Oops. I like that game too.

Dominoid

Post by Dominoid » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Really enjoyed this month. The disasters section I particularly enjoyed as I'm a sucker for the underdog. I actually really love the GX4000 even if it was particularly undercrowded with games.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:04 am

Solid.

Not done with everything yet, but that sums up this issue quite nicely. A standout issue for me, though not so much for single articles as for the overall big picture. Didn't hurt that there was better paper quality at the end either.

Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Am currently reading the issue and it's a step above the previous ones. Three notes:

-the black 'redaction' bars didn't work so good as I found myself as well wondering what they were; I did think of "censorship" but the placement made it unclear - I thought it might be a glitch since nothing seemed to be missing.
-over the last few issues there's an overabundance of commas used where a new period should have been introduced; it seems like it's a permanent issue
-Driller: come on, guys. A game developed on the 6128 and it gets exactly zero screenshots? The speccy conversion gets seven, including the two giant background ones, the Amiga gets two and... nothing else???
:Visit now!:

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:41 pm

Sounds good. ..am going to look for this

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri May 01, 2015 5:52 am

Gryzor wrote: -Driller: come on, guys. A game developed on the 6128 and it gets exactly zero screenshots? The speccy conversion gets seven, including the two giant background ones, the Amiga gets two and... nothing else???
Screenshots annoy me in probably every issue. A recent one that was really annoying was the Frontier one only having PC screenshots :twisted: I don't care that they look the same as the Amiga, it's an Amiga game and it's good to see that they look the same.

In this one Driller didn't have any Amstrad or C64 screenshots, though it has two Amiga and a load of Spectrum ones. I like to see how the games I know looked on other systems, and it's always disappointing to only have one or two platforms shown. When the lead platforms are missing, it's even worse.

I don't want only the ones I know shown, I like to see a good selection. One small pic of a few of the others is enough, with the main ones from the featured version.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » Fri May 01, 2015 7:40 am

necronom wrote: Screenshots annoy me in probably every issue. A recent one that was really annoying was the Frontier one only having PC screenshots :twisted: I don't care that they look the same as the Amiga, it's an Amiga game and it's good to see that they look the same.

In this one Driller didn't have any Amstrad or C64 screenshots, though it has two Amiga and a load of Spectrum ones. I like to see how the games I know looked on other systems, and it's always disappointing to only have one or two platforms shown. When the lead platforms are missing, it's even worse.

I don't want only the ones I know shown, I like to see a good selection. One small pic of a few of the others is enough, with the main ones from the featured version.
Second that. I mean, in this article for instance, I knew what the Speccy looked like, it reminded me what the Amiga and ST looked like and.... then? I actually had to go online to look for the c64 version (and did it even mention its excellent music?).
:Visit now!:

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 01, 2015 3:09 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It was used to simulate retractions.
Isn't that trolling?!?! :wink:

Initially, didn't think there was much it in for me this month, however really enjoyed the Driller article - such a innovative game.

And I never tire of reading about the "Megagames..."

Good stuff.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.