Retro Gamer - Issue 141

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PAC

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 141

Post by PAC » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Loved Centipede interview.. and went straight to it last night.

Greatest Commercial Disasters and Licence features also nice reads but all over a bit fast this month.

Keep on revisiting the classic cabinets.. please !

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:57 pm

deKay wrote:If anything it was the A600 that was the disaster, not the A1200!

Shocked to see no mention of either Skateboard Construction System or Neighbours in the 720 "other skateboarding games" roundup. And no Grand Prix Simulator or Supercars in the Off Road section!
Neighbours is a racing game with one character on a skateboard.
The related games in the Off Road article are all in the arcade.

Great issue, learnt a lot about some games I loved (Driller, Off Road) and quite a bit about some games I didn't know. Great to read more of the story behind Centipede too.

Oh, and with regards to the A1200 - it's obviously in there due to the bad timing of releasing that model, not what it could do.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Yeah, very small boxout for the A1200 and as you say Merman - not in there because its a disaster but for timing.

Great issue so far... off to sit in the garden as it is about 20c at the mo 8)
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Was a really good issue this month, loads and loads of things I liked and enjoyed, 720, Centipede, Super Off Road, System 3, also was interesting to learn of 2 Atari ST games I'd not heard of but look great, I love that the mag always brings up games I've not heard of.....and then go off to buy, haha.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:01 pm

This has to be my favourite retro gamer issue for a while. The others have been fantastic but this one was even more so. Loved the Power Stone 2 moments spread (that is a classic moment for me too, so I could absolutely relate to it) and I loved the gaming failures article. I really enjoy reading about the more obscurer consoles, games and accessories, as they are covered less by most magazines/websites and therefore intrigue me more. The Jeff Minter interview was great too. :D
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:04 pm

crusto wrote:Better than last months issue for me. Somehow I've been credited with addipm82's post in the from the forum section. :P
Indeed you have, thought it looked familiar :lol: , have only skimmed through the rest of the mag, but looks a very good issue for me.

Quite a typo on page 46 during the Parasol Stars piece, Converision Capers.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:18 am

Blimey. My spell-checker software was well worth the money then.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:35 am

Really good issue, thanks.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Does anyone else always find articles about failures way more interesting than successes? Would love to see a future piece on Rise of the Robots because it really is as bad as people say, and was one of the first experiences that taught me not to trust pre-release hype and graphics. I know everything is subjective but with games like that everyone involved must have know it was terrible but had to put on a brave face. Probably quite hard to get people to go on record and admit they messed up though.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:44 am

There was a making of Rise Of The Robots in issue 43 :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:22 am

Good issue for me this month. Again please please have a 'Back to the 00's

Gamings biggest disasters is a great read, a very nice article. Nice to see Driller, great game in its day. Parasol Stars, looking forward to this as i love the game.

Licensed Games, looks good. 720 degrees, nice article Kieren. Had this game one Xmas on the Speccy, surprisingly good game on the ole 8 bit. Off Road looks good. System 3 again good and Centipede

Glad Castlevania got a good review.

Great issue for me this month. Lots to read

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:19 am

1200 A Disaster? ... ... ... DOES NOT COMPUTE... ... ... ... ... :shock:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:34 am

gman72 wrote:1200 A Disaster? ... ... ... DOES NOT COMPUTE... ... ... ... ... :shock:
Think its fair. It didnt sell well, Commodore went bust soon after didnt they ? Think most people had moved onto consoles back then. Me and all my mates (i know this isnt 'everyone' !) all had an Amiga 500, loved it, we all moved onto consoles after that. Didnt know anyone with an Amiga 1200

Wikipedia seems to suggest just 1 million worldwide sales (ouch)

Glad the Virtual Boy is obviously in the article. Never had one and only played on one for the first time at the Stoke show years back. Couldnt believe what a nightmare it was, play that for 10 minutes and you'll have a headache

The Megagames writeup is good, a terrible idea. Wonder if that 'infamous' marketing person is still saying its a good idea ? ! ;) Thinking the package of a t shirt and other crap would justify the 30 or even 60 quid price. Ridiculous

merman

Post by merman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:06 am

psj3809 wrote:
gman72 wrote:1200 A Disaster? ... ... ... DOES NOT COMPUTE... ... ... ... ... :shock:
Think its fair. It didnt sell well, Commodore went bust soon after didnt they ? Think most people had moved onto consoles back then. Me and all my mates (i know this isnt 'everyone' !) all had an Amiga 500, loved it, we all moved onto consoles after that. Didnt know anyone with an Amiga 1200

Wikipedia seems to suggest just 1 million worldwide sales (ouch)

Glad the Virtual Boy is obviously in the article. Never had one and only played on one for the first time at the Stoke show years back. Couldnt believe what a nightmare it was, play that for 10 minutes and you'll have a headache

The Megagames writeup is good, a terrible idea. Wonder if that 'infamous' marketing person is still saying its a good idea ? ! ;) Thinking the package of a t shirt and other crap would justify the 30 or even 60 quid price. Ridiculous
As the article makes clear, Bruce Everiss originally had the idea of a dongle to reduce piracy.* however! it then spiralled to include extra memory and possibly more! which is where the mega game idea started. Yes, Bruce then mercilessly promoted them as the next big thing before anything was finished, which was a bad idea.

*Bruce is also still wedded to the idea that piracy caused Imagine to collapse. No, over-spending, over-promising and poor quality product caused Imagine to collapse.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:12 pm

merman wrote:*Bruce is also still wedded to the idea that piracy caused Imagine to collapse. No, over-spending, over-promising and poor quality product caused Imagine to collapse.
Yep i remember that well. Some great threads here and the battle with Stu.C was amusing.