Discuss Time! Issue 141 Your first gaming purchase

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mayhem

Re: Discuss Time! Issue 141 Your first gaming purchase

Post by Mayhem » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:08 am

NorthWay wrote:Time passes too quickly. ColecoVision Frantic Freddy conversion(2011), though the Spectravideo/MSX is nearly identical hw anyway.
I'm going to blame it on being Friday. Why I was thinking Imagic here instead of Spectavision/Spectravideo, I have no idea...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:23 pm

Kangaroo for the Atari VCS.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:46 pm

I think it was Zaxxon for the colecovision, hard to be absolutely sure

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:09 pm

My very first computer game was Alpiner for the ti99/4a, really came into it's own when I eventually got my speech synthesizer.
My first Console game was Star Raiders (with video touch pad) for the Atari 2600.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:39 pm

The first game I bought for a princely sum of £9.95 was Knightlore for the ZX Spectrum. I only bought the game because the packaging looked so fancy next to all the other plastic cassette cases in Boots. I thought that if the packaging looked great then so was the game and of course it turned out in this case to be true.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:28 pm

First game I bought for my own money and was not gifted or loaned, was World Cup '94 for the PC my dad bought used from his work. A horrible machine, ancient even then. I don't give jack about sports, but I played this game a lot and had loads of fun with it. I was really, really hungry for gaming, eight years old and I had never had a computer before, only consoles.:) And that old NES had just died.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 am

Emlyn Hughes International Soccer on the C64, and I still love it. Way better than all the football games that came before, and than most that came after.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

deKay

Post by deKay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:43 am

The very first game I bought with my own actual money, was a copy of Haunted Hedges for the Spectrum. I'd received my Spectrum+ a couple of weeks before for my 6th birthday, and spent some birthday money on the game, which I bought from the Asda on the outskirts of Liverpool (the one on Ormskirk Road, next to where the M57 and M58 terminate and become one glorious hole. Sorry, whole).

I ummed and ahhed for ages over which title to buy with the two or three quid I had, but I can't remember now what the other games I could have chosen from were. Or why I chose Haunted Hedges. I do recall thinking it might be scary, and mentally reminding myself I was a big boy now (6, remember) and it would be fine. Still, I got increasingly frightened in the car on the way home, working it up in my head that I was going to be literally scared to death the moment the game loaded.

Thankfully, I wasn't. Not because the game wasn't frightening, but because the game wouldn't load. R Tape Loading errors all over the place. Phew. The tape was knackered.

A week later we took it back, and they tested it in the shop where it also failed to load. They didn't have any other copies to swap it for, and wouldn't refund the money, but did offer any other game for the same price instead. I ended up with Pacacuda (by John F. Cain of Booty fame), since that seemed to be the only other title they had in stock for that money.

I loved it. So did my family. So did my godmother, who I remember came round for the evening one day, and had a quick go after dinner only to still be playing it the following morning, myself and my parents having left her to it and gone to bed. I swear she used to come round more often after that.

It was many years before I realised that Pacacuda was simply a shameless Pacman clone, having only heard about Pacman at the time but never having actually seen or played it. Several years after that, I realised that Haunted Hedges was too. Whatever, Pacacuda still ranks as one of my favourite Speccy games. That Rabbit Software loading screen is forever etched in my brain as one of the most memorable things from my childhood.

Oh, and Haunted Hedges turned out to not be scary in the slightest.

deKay

Post by deKay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:49 am

joefish wrote:Tough to think back that far. I remember my first Mastertronic budget purchase, Gnasher, a blocky Pac Man clone.

But the earliest I can remember buying myself was Orbiter by Silversoft for the Spectrum,
I remember both of these too! Gnasher I bought with pocket money from Forbuoys in Skelmersdale, and although I liked the HUGE graphics, it wasn't a patch on Pacacuda. Orbiter came as a present from my Nan, in a St Michaels (my Nan bought everything from Marks and Sparks) five game boxed set. I can't remember all the others, but along with Orbiter was Ground Attack (a clone of Scramble), also one of my most played and most loved Speccy games.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Mine was via The Home Computer Club (remember them?)

I got three games, but only can remember 'Horace Goes Skiing'

For the life of can't think of the other 2.

Could there be a 'retro-spective' of this organisation?

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:13 pm

Wow, this really takes me back.

One of my earliest memeories is my mum taking me into to boots to buy me a game for my new Atari 2600. Having chose the game I wanted I rushed home only to find what I bought was in fact a cassette for the spectrum no less, a skiing game of some kind I think. No matter what I did, I could not get it to fit in the Atari, I was so dissapointed.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:03 am

My dad bought me a Mega Drive from a work colleague with Altered Beast, FIFA International Soccer, PGA Tour Golf, Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage. Absolutely loved it, and I've still got all of them today!

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:56 am

It would of been ecw hardcore revolution on ps ... It wasnt great but it was like wwf attitute with a few added extras and a diffrent roster. I got alot of fun out of this and ecw anarchy rules
This guy are sick

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:50 am

Mine was 'Trashman' on the Spectrum. I had got the machine a few days before my 14th birthday in 1984 and had already ready made a few C60 tapes of copied games from my school mates so that I'd have something to play on it. I had already set my sights on 'Trashman' having read about it in the magazines and, as none of my friends already had it, wanted to make it my first original. So once I had my birthday money I went in to town and the local computer shop and bought a copy. Didn't regret it at all, loved playing it, loved the great graphics and still load it up every now and again. Still have that same copy along with the receipt, dated 12th June 1984, my 14th birthday!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:39 am

Mine was a Spectrum game, can't remember which title though, it was one of the thousands of footy management £1.99 games!